+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Shuts Down Fake Apple Stores

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In the hit 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy "Coming to America," one of the film's characters - Cleo McDowell - opened his own fast food joint conveniently called "McDowell's," replete with
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default China Shuts Down Fake Apple Stores

In the hit 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy "Coming to America," one of the film's characters - Cleo McDowell - opened his own fast food joint conveniently called "McDowell's," replete with the golden arches, and all the familiar menu items of another fast food chain with a similar name.

As it turns out, Apple recently learned - in real life, nonetheless - what it actually feels like to be cloned in such close detail that customers literally can't tell the difference between real Apple stores and their fake counterpart. Last Wednesday, as some will recall, MMi reported that a string of cloned Apple stores had popped up in Kunming, China. The subject was particularly newsworthy given that these retail location knock-offs were stunning in their appearance and resemblance to all the attributes of a real Apple store. (The stores do, however, sell real Apple products - those obtained from third-party resellers.)

This photo inside a fake Apple store in Kunming, China shows bold wall graphics, a wood display counter against the wall, an employee in a Apple logo blue shirt wearing a white name tag on a lanyard, acrylic info cards, iPads on tilted acrylic stands, stone floor, and the "Apple Store" sign. The second level has wood flooring.
    At the time, we speculated as to how long the owners of these fake stores would be allowed to "get away with it." Well, it didn't even take a week to get an answer to that burning question. The two stores in question - one of which is pictured above - have been shut down. The reason? According to Chinese officials, the stores were forced to close due to a lack of proper business permits - not, as Reuters reported, because of piracy or copyright concerns.

As it should be pointed out, Chinese law expressly prohibits companies from copying the "look and feel" of other companies' stores, "but enforcement is often spotty." You think?

Source: Reuters

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple get's their products sold and don't have to pay store and staff costs....seems kinda like a win win for Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Apple get's their products sold and don't have to pay store and staff costs....seems kinda like a win win for Apple
    Ya, unless said store rips off a customer, doesn't honor warranty, etc. Apple is the one that gets the trashed image from it because the customers don't know it's fake.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I guess Jobs finally released that update that destroys fake chinese apple stores

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm surprised it even took this long for it to happen. Normally Apple is quick to jump on things like this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Except they cannot provide the service standard as apple does, and it a complete ripp off to be blunt. It's not like they're trying to hide it, because the whole world knows. It was in the Toronto Star last week.

Trurthfully, i'd hope i could tell the difference because i'd snap if I bought it off some nobody store thats going to get shut down thats not even an authorized apple reseller..? with no backing or guarantee. Bought off 3-rd party then brought to there store..? soo it goes from foxcomm or w/e through apple + mark up.. then lets say through best buy +mark up.. now to these fake apple stores +markup?

One thing I did find funny was the picture of the dude. Thinking he's an actual Apple Store Employee absolutely killed me ahahahahhaha.

Thanks

So they go down to the permit office today and they are open for business again. Next!

Thanks

Is this like Al Capone going to Alcatraz for tax evasion?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    The show-off Asian fake Apple employee is gonna have to find another place to show off to women with his cheesy pick up lines.
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

dude looks like he has to take the biggest dump ever

Green Apple
    Thanks

Agreed! LOL

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Customers literally can't tell the difference."

No! Please don't ever use literally in an article again. No one knows how to properly use it.

Thanks

I think he was trying to get out of the picture cuz they knew they were breaking the law....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    he was like "aw shít we're busted!"
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extremador View Post
    "Customers literally can't tell the difference."

No! Please don't ever use literally in an article again. No one knows how to properly use it.
    Lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

In a retaliatory move, China has asked the city of San Francisco to shut down Chinatown.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Except they cannot provide the service standard as apple does, and it a complete ripp off to be blunt. It's not like they're trying to hide it, because the whole world knows. It was in the Toronto Star last week.

Trurthfully, i'd hope i could tell the difference because i'd snap if I bought it off some nobody store thats going to get shut down thats not even an authorized apple reseller..? with no backing or guarantee. Bought off 3-rd party then brought to there store..? soo it goes from foxcomm or w/e through apple + mark up.. then lets say through best buy +mark up.. now to these fake apple stores +markup?

One thing I did find funny was the picture of the dude. Thinking he's an actual Apple Store Employee absolutely killed me ahahahahhaha.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/107/006/And%20Not%20a%20Single%20Fuck%20Was%20Given%20That %20Day.jpg?1300449589

Thanks

Still, it's not how business is run. This is the face of their company. No way in hell Apple would even let this go by a week.

Apple big wigs called whatever Chinese telecom big wigs that struck a deal with them, and said hey, handle this, NOW! Lol
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

How did this business open up in the first place...?? and where did they get the damn gadgets

where did they get the damn idevices and how did it open in the first place..???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lol I knew it wouldn't take long for this store to either get sued or shut down. Apple wouldn't let something this obnoxiously obvious to continue on.