Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Offering Free Replacements for Defective 2011 iMac Hard Drives

Default Apple Offering Free Replacements for Defective 2011 iMac Hard Drives

With the launch of any major software release, you can always expect a few bugs to pop up here and there, but you don’t usually have to worry about a month old hard drive crashing. That is unless you were unlucky enough to have purchased an iMac equipped with Seagate 1TB hard drive between May and July 2011.

“Apple has determined that a very small number of Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems, may fail under certain conditions.”

Apple has initiated the “iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program” to help those affected with defective drives. Apple will replace any effected 1TB Seagate drive for free, so if you think that you may have one of these drives, then you should replace it as soon as possible. It goes without saying of course, that you should backup any and all important data before getting your hard drive replaced. The new drive is likely to only include the operating system and nothing more.

If you’re not sure if you have one of the effected models, then click here and you can enter in your iMac serial number to determine if you qualify for this program.

You have until July 23, 2012 to get a replacement hard drive. Hopefully, Apple will spring for a more reliable drive this time around, but I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting a speedy SSD instead though.

Source: Apple

Shouldn't it be free because it's still under warranty? I think the news is that the drives are dying early and not the free replacement part. That's a given.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Defective hard drives? MacBook batteries that can be hacked and explode?

Highly uncharacteristic of Apple.