+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The 'iBike' Becomes a Mainstay of Apple Employee Transportation in Cupertino

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
BFD, a bunch of hipsters riding bikes. Only they could do it as excessive bike riding requires the person to have no testicles.
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

BFD, a bunch of hipsters riding bikes. Only they could do it as excessive bike riding requires the person to have no testicles.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    He asked me why I dislike Apple, so I gave him the answer.

And I never said the bike was a bad idea.....more like an unnecessary idea that probably won't be taken advantage of in the scale most people think. I'm sure the weather is nice for a bike ride in that part of California, but come on.....think about it. People in business suits who need to commute between various campuses with briefcases and large carry-bags full of paperwork or supplies are not going to ride a bike....they're going to get in their car and drive there. Its faster and less physically demanding. 80 degrees may not sound very hot.....but ride a bike while toting a briefcase in between campuses and it's enough to break a sweat which presents an unclean and unprofessional appearance.

I commend Apple for trying to take the step in the right direction in terms of "going green", but this is really not going to set a trend for other businesses. This seems like more of an attempt to resemble what Google is doing. And if Apple is so concerned about employee fitness and health I'm sure they can do better than a bike with $75+ billion in reserves. How about a full-time fitness center free of charge to their employees?
    A couple things: first of all, I doubt you'll find many suits and briefcases at Apple HQ... Second, yes I asked the question and I appreciate the response while I recognize the fact that you in no way owed me one. My experience with Apple has been almost the exact opposite. I live in Seattle and almost NEVER drop a call. I've had a few phones replaced but they've never hassled me even once. In fact, I've had two phones replaced that had broken screens which invalidates the warranty. They let me know that the phones weren't covered but said that they would replace them anyway. Once I had to wait a few extra minutes for a sales person, so they gave me 10% off my order. Honestly, every experience I've had with Apple has been great. However, I can see why you may feel the way you do and might feel the same way myself if I had the same experiences that you did. I don't think that Apple walks on water, I just feel that they generally provide a better product and customer experience than any other consumer tech company out there. That opinion may change, but for now that's been my experience.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Normally this is right about the time where I tell you I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone else, but since you took the time to go fishing through all of my posts, I'll take the time to answer your question. Grab a drink....this is gonna take some time.

[truncated]
    Cool. How does this have anything to do with Apple giving their employees bikes to ride around. Your original issue seems to be that it's a waste of money. I am sure these bikes aren't given to every employee, and that there are just a bunch of communal bikes. Need to get to another building fast? Hop on a bike. Someone else took the bike you road in on? Hope on the next in line. How is this a BAD idea?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 07-24-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Cool. How does this have anything to do with Apple giving their employees bikes to ride around. Your original issue seems to be that it's a waste of money. I am sure these bikes aren't given to every employee, and that there are just a bunch of communal bikes. Need to get to another building fast? Hop on a bike. Someone else took the bike you road in on? Hope on the next in line. How is this a BAD idea?
    Maybe if you read the post that I was responding to then you would know why I posted that.

And I am pretty sure as well that they aren't given to all employees.

Need to get to another building fast? Chances are if it's not in walking distance, then getting in your CAR and DRIVING will probably get you there faster and more comfortably.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Normally this is right about the time where I tell you I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone else, but since you took the time to go fishing through all of my posts, I'll take the time to answer your question. Grab a drink....this is gonna take some time.

Yes I do hate on Apple alot. Yes alot of my posts reflect negative feelings towards Apple. But I didn't always feel this way towards them. The more I learn about them and the way they operate and how they treat the consumers....the more disrespect I gain towards them. Maybe alot of other people have had better luck with their customer service, but based on my experiences I quickly started getting a very bad vibe from them.

Way back in the day when the original iPhone came out I thought it was the coolest thing. I wanted one, but I believe they were only available at retail price at the time....or so I was told. I never really knew about Apple because frankly they weren't as big at the time and I honestly never paid much attention. Then the iPhone 3G became available and I eventually danced around the idea of getting one before deciding to finally do it once the frenzy died down from the initial release and there weren't any significant problems with it.

I got the phone and I loved it. It was simple, easy to use and the entire time I had it I never had a single problem with it. The operating system worked just fine....nice, big easy-to-read screen, HTML browsing, never crashed on me...basically all the simple things I wanted in a phone. I skip the 3GS and get the iPhone 4 because of the noticeable speed jump in browsing, MUCH better resolution which was easier on my eyes, and larger storage space. I didn't get it just to have the "latest and greatest"....there were actual legitimate reasons behind it. And the reason I didn't get an Android phone at the time was because the software they were running at the time was very choppy and un-crisp from what I experienced on the phones i demoed. I was used to the iPhone....so I settled for it again because I didn't see anything better to suit my needs at the time.

That's where my problems began. First with the obvious signal drop...which I knew about in advance, but what I DIDN'T know was that the phone was continuously dropping calls (and still does) at random times and even at full signal strength....something my previous one never did. NEVER. Then there were NUMEROUS other quality issues I noticed in the phone when I looked closer. Over and over and over I had to go back to the Apple store and repeatedly get the phone exchanged. Each time they made it more difficult, but each time was a legitimate reason that was easily noticed and seen by management at the store. Three separate Apple stores gave me hell when I showed them how jacked up their flagship phone was. Things ordinary people would easily cue out or not pay attention to.....things like the screen turning yellowish, dirt underneath the glass, chips in the edges, proximity sensor issues, duplicated text messages, crooked charging ports, loose volume buttons, crooked home button, the list goes on and on.

And all they could tell me was "sir we can't keep exchanging phones like this".......well then give me a phone that isn't clearly f**ked up that I paid MY MONEY and extended MY CONTRACT for and you WON'T have to keep exchanging my phone. Finally I got one that was defect-free.......for the most part. The proximity sensor tends to act goofy if you have anything thicker than an Apple bumper on it. But at this point I was severely fed up with the Apple stores and didn't even wanna bother with them anymore...especially considering the fact that a store manager tried to lie right to my face and one of their "tech team" members treated me with the most disrespect that I had ever experienced in a retail environment....so much so that I reported him to the regional manager and drove to Austin to speak to that manager face-to-face.

And it's not really just me. All over the place people have had problems with Apple. Look what happened to 3G owners who updated to iOS 4 and the hell they went through before Apple decided to finally respond with an update that took way to long to release when other updates that are designed to fix jailbreak exploits are released almost instantly. Look what happened with the signal attenuation problem with Apple basically denying any wrong-doing and accusing the CONSUMER before finally deciding to offer some sort of "remedy" if you can call it that....just to save themselves the heartache of a recall.

Then comes this recent doing with the flurry of patent lawsuits that Apple is filing against the world to try and take over the entire market. And now they're trying to get their biggest competitor banned from the U.S. all because HTC is actually making very good phones that are competing heavily with Apple's iPhones. This isn't about right and wrong at all.....this is about a greedy company fearing a loss in momentum. How long has HTC and Android been in operation? How many phones and software updates have been released and why is it that NOW Apple is deciding they want to file lawsuits and complaints against HTC and get them BANNED from the U.S.??

They repeatedly glorify themselves when they do wonderfully and when sales are in the stratosphere. But the second something goes wrong they go into a black hole and deny deny deny until the evidence and pressure becomes to much to where they are forced to act. They repeatedly glorify themselves as "unique" and "innovative" and I USED to think they were, but with the complaints that other companies have filed and won against Apple.....I am quickly realizing that they are NOT as glorious as they have made themselves out to be. They pay Nokia royalties to use their features in the iPhones. In one year alone Nokia filed some 46 complaints before they and Apple settled out of court and came to this agreement. They are no different than any other company they are accusing of "stealing" their features. They aren't above them in any way.....they're just part of the pack trying to fight to get the steak at the top of the hill. Trying to ban HTC is in no way honorable considering Apple themselves are guilty of the same crime. Trying to get a company that competes very significantly with you banned from U.S. is just downright low and dirty. If you really wanna prove you're better than them...do it on the sales board. Don't ban them for the same exact thing YOU have been doing.

They may be unique and innovative in certain ways, but not on the broad scale that many people make them out to be. Look at this recent upcoming iOS 5 release and how many features are being siphoned from the jailbreak community that Apple will of course claim they have "innovated" through tons of research and developed themselves when in reality those features have been available for YEARS to the legal jailbreak community. I realize Apple only has to answer to the stockholders and not to the customer, and that will probably keep them ahead of the pack for quite some time, but that still doesn't change the way I feel about them.....and many other people for that matter.

Tell me.....did you bother looking through everyone else's posts in this site, because there are a hell of alot more people than me that share the same disrespect for Apple. Many of them frequently voice their opinions on this site and agree with me for that matter. This is not a site strictly for one-dimensional blood-brother Apple fans, this site has a broad range of people on it. I'm just part of that range. If for some reason that offends the people who run this site then they are free to ban me if they choose to, but it doesn't change a thing about the way i and many other people on this site think and know deep down....that Apple is NOT the holy testament when it comes to technological advancement and they clearly have quite a few things to learn about how to treat their customers...both from the corporate level right down to their retail stores.
    I know that this is all based on MY experiences with Apple and probably not shared by others, but you did ask ME so now you're getting MY response and reasoning for acting the way I act.

So why am I still here? Faith and a lack of options to put it simply. Faith that Apple will give me something new and ground-breaking.....something that isn't just a "slight bump" in what they currently offer. I may not like Apple directly....but they do make a good phone.....when they get it right. They obviously have a few issues to work out though in their design. But with HTC apparently getting ready to get booted from the U.S. of A.....it looks like Apple may have the only device that suits my needs unless Samsung, LG, Motorola, or Nokia come out with something equally as nice or better....which is highly unlikely considering that the whole basis of Apple's complaint against HTC centers around Android OS....and if Apple wins out.....Android along with HTC may be gone. And that's where the lack of options comes in.

So yes i'm still an Apple fan, but only slightly....which is why I still come to this site and see the latest in news and hope for something that grabs my attention and makes me like them just a little more. But I am still extremely pissed off at them for the way they treated me at their retail store and just the way they are acting in general right now. But of course that could all change if things work out the right way.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I think this is a neat idea. I see it no different than having bikes at college. It was way faster and much more convenient to hop on my bike and go from one building to the next rather than go out to my car, drive around campus, find a parking space, and then walk up to the building. With a bike it's essentially just a door to door commute and you're typically able to travel a much shorter distance than if you drove your car.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    I just looked through your post history and pretty much every post you have is slagging Apple. That's fine that you're not an Apple fan, but I'm just curious as to why you spend so much time on an Apple site. Is it just trolling? Just curious.

Also, your profile says that you use an iPhone 4, which I find interesting. I would assume that someone that hates Apple as much as you would be on Android.
    \
    Look at my comment history - I abhor Apple - and as a matter of fact, when iOS 5 comes out, I will probably leave Apple and ModMy forever..

Apple is losing customers as they lock their operating system and iOS down more and more.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    \
    Look at my comment history - I abhor Apple - and as a matter of fact, when iOS 5 comes out, I will probably leave Apple and ModMy forever..

Apple is losing customers as they lock their operating system and iOS down more and more.
    Why wait?

P.S. They haven't locked their OS down at all, and iOS is just as locked down as it's always been. Feel free to leave early.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not own a Mac but I was assuming it was harder to do things like customization - you have to use terminal for most things if they involve tweaking.

And iOS 5, from what I read - is going to get harder and harder to jailbreak - and as a rising 9th grader - I will not be able to keep up with the work load and constant updating of jailbreaking.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12