+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lion Goes Platinum on Launch Day

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple's new operating system OS X Lion sold more than 1 million copies Wednesday, making it the fastest selling OS in Apple history. Previously it took Leopard a month to
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Lion Goes Platinum on Launch Day

Apple's new operating system OS X Lion sold more than 1 million copies Wednesday, making it the fastest selling OS in Apple history.

Previously it took Leopard a month to sell two million copies and Snow Leopard an entire weekend to do the same. Apparently any speculation that digital downloads would hurt sales of Apple's newest operating system were completely and utterly wrong.

Burning all their boxed software appears to be a genius move. The fast sales do make a ton of sense though. The ease of upgrading via the heavily implemented Mac App Store proves that people like convenience, and if that convenience is priced right ($30 to be exact), they will throw cash at it like Newt Gingrich does ex-wives.

It'll be interesting how the performance of Lion's digital only sales affect the rest of the software industry. The death of physical media continues.

Source: PCMag

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

That makes sense
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Thanks
    I'm still not able to download the update, since I got my new MBP this july 18th, I went to the "uptodate" program, just getting serial number problem!! That sucks... Any way I could be 1.000.001 If anybody has news about will be appreciated

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judelgado View Post
    I'm still not able to download the update, since I got my new MBP this july 18th, I went to the "uptodate" program, just getting serial number problem!! That sucks... Any way I could be 1.000.001 If anybody has news about will be appreciated
    Yah me 2, I have the latest MB Pro 15" and i am experience the same issue .
    I dont understand the reason they just limited the buy period from mid of june , they could if just expand that to the release date of all the new MBs and iMacs like they did with snow leopard .
    I find apple is trying to reduce their costs or in better word the free stuff that they give away , starting from the remote control that i think they should include in their MBs and their back to school program which i find to be honest suck big time .
    This is just my opinion

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

I had no issues with installation on my mid 2010 MBP. However, Lion is so buggy on my machine I wish I had waited for the first update.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I downloaded Lion and I admit that had I needed to get boxed software, I would have waited for a while, since it was available as a download, I figured why not.

I have not yet had any problems with Lion, so I don't know what issues mustard05 is talking about. (Although, I have a Macbook - 2009 I believe).

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I downloaded Lion and I admit that had I needed to get boxed software, I would have waited for a while, since it was available as a download, I figured why not.

I have not yet had any problems with Lion, so I don't know what issues mustard05 is talking about. (Although, I have a Macbook - 2009 I believe).
    I'm having extreme hanging issues,( SSD BTW). My dock keeps getting stuck while in magnification. My iTunes keeps not responding so I have to force quit it and reopen ( evey time) my machine has completely frozen several times. My volume doesn't like to work, unless I restart the machine several times. I have intermittent issues going into mission control. Sometimes it will go right into mission control when I use the gesture, other times it doesn't so I have to restart. I have a few other little small issues as well Overall I'm happy with the OS deite the issues, I just don't have time to do another install.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

If you want a Family deal it's available for $30, just use the same apple ID(user name) and password to buy the Lion in the app store you can download the OS up to 5 Times

If you are having PROBLEMS with the touch pad:

go download BetterTouchTool it's free and lets you do anything from 1finger tap to 5fingers scroll ANYWHERE just click global on the left and your good to go

Sluggish for single user only:

If Lion is acting slow let it enter screen saver or make it enter screen saver through a hot corner then move the mouse click SwitchUser this will put up a white screen and you will to restart, but it will make it faster, now once your backin enter screen saver again enter password the more u do this it will get faster
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 07-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the price tag would have made a lot of people buy it and lets not forget, Apples popularity is increasing greatly every year.

I downloaded Lion onto my June 2009 MacBook Pro and its not really an improvement, I miss Leopard from when my MBP came shipped with it.

It maybe the most advanced OS ever but it still has trouble playing MKV 720p and 1080p files smoothly, so I have to boot into Windows and watch my video, soo annoying

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

i bought a refurb MBP 15 a few weeks ago and i upgraded to lion for free yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by aymank1985 View Post
    Yah me 2, I have the latest MB Pro 15" and i am experience the same issue .
    I dont understand the reason they just limited the buy period from mid of june , they could if just expand that to the release date of all the new MBs and iMacs like they did with snow leopard .
    I find apple is trying to reduce their costs or in better word the free stuff that they give away , starting from the remote control that i think they should include in their MBs and their back to school program which i find to be honest suck big time .
    This is just my opinion

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I'm having extreme hanging issues,( SSD BTW). My dock keeps getting stuck while in magnification. My iTunes keeps not responding so I have to force quit it and reopen ( evey time) my machine has completely frozen several times. My volume doesn't like to work, unless I restart the machine several times. I have intermittent issues going into mission control. Sometimes it will go right into mission control when I use the gesture, other times it doesn't so I have to restart. I have a few other little small issues as well Overall I'm happy with the OS deite the issues, I just don't have time to do another install.
    You can sort the volume problem by just quickly putting the computer into standby and waking up again. Then the sound resolves itself. Annoying I know, but I did mention this to Apple on the first beta release and the bug stayed throughout all betas and the final version.... so no idea what the Apple techs are up to over there!!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I upgraded and running perfect on my iMac late 2009, no problems
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't believe they completely removed to both Expose and Spaces. Those two features were far and away my favorite and quite possibly the deciding factor in buying a mac. I realize that Mission Control is supposed to combine the two but it's doesn't really do that. In 10.6 you could open spaces then activate expose and see all windows across all displays. This was awesome and allowed complete control. Workflow was fantastic as each space could be used for a different type of activity (one for browsing, one for productivity apps, one for multimedia, etc...). Mission Control is like a slap in the face. I had to reinstall Snow Leopard (no easy way to roll Lion back and it hadn't occurred to me that Lion could possible suck so much). I called Apple Support and they insist that Expose and Spaces are still there, though slightly different in form. BS! I can't use expose unless I've both focused on a particular space AND a particular application, then I can use Application Expose. That's crap. I can't drag apps from one space to another unless that source space is brought to the fore. It's like everything I want to do is now far less intuitive and requires a great many more clicks, taps, time, effort, and patience.

Aside from all that the release itself, missing features aside, is wholly unstable and unpredictable. If you have gestures set to swipe between pages and between applications, then you'll find that within mission control three finger swipes and four finger swipes move in the opposite direction. Since half the time Lion doesn't properly register my swipes (2010 MBA 13") I really have no idea where I'll end up, so moving between spaces in MC is a real pain in the butt. I've also had freezing issues and crashing issues, where sometimes MC is wholly unresponsive (either launching or leaving) and other times most of the OS is inaccessible (clicking icons does nothing but I can access menus and launch from spotlight).

I realize that most of the stability issues will be sorted out in forthcoming system updates, but I've been all but assured by everything I've read online and heard from the fools at Apple Support that Expose and Spaces are gone for good. I guess it's Snow Leopard or nothing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xXDrizzyyXx's Avatar
    Thanks

i <3 lion

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Lion killed access to my NAS and my internet keeps going out for all computer connected to my router. Very strange.

I did find the solution for NAS access but still trying to figure out why it keeps killing my Linksys router.

Thanks

I have both a 2007 iMac and 2007 White MacBook. I've upgraded BOTH of them to Lion, and have no issues.

Do I like all the "new" features. Not sure. I do miss FrontRow (Which I was able to reinstall... Google it if you're interested)

But it is running smoothly on both machines.

My old MacBook has a trackpad with the mouse button. It inverted my scrolling (this will take some getting used to) but no multitouch gestures (I knew this would happen)

On my iMac, I have a trackpad and it works flawlessly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    I can't believe they completely removed to both Expose and Spaces. Those two features were far and away my favorite and quite possibly the deciding factor in buying a mac. I realize that Mission Control is supposed to combine the two but it's doesn't really do that. In 10.6 you could open spaces then activate expose and see all windows across all displays. This was awesome and allowed complete control. Workflow was fantastic as each space could be used for a different type of activity (one for browsing, one for productivity apps, one for multimedia, etc...). Mission Control is like a slap in the face. I had to reinstall Snow Leopard (no easy way to roll Lion back and it hadn't occurred to me that Lion could possible suck so much). I called Apple Support and they insist that Expose and Spaces are still there, though slightly different in form. BS! I can't use expose unless I've both focused on a particular space AND a particular application, then I can use Application Expose. That's crap. I can't drag apps from one space to another unless that source space is brought to the fore. It's like everything I want to do is now far less intuitive and requires a great many more clicks, taps, time, effort, and patience.

Aside from all that the release itself, missing features aside, is wholly unstable and unpredictable. If you have gestures set to swipe between pages and between applications, then you'll find that within mission control three finger swipes and four finger swipes move in the opposite direction. Since half the time Lion doesn't properly register my swipes (2010 MBA 13") I really have no idea where I'll end up, so moving between spaces in MC is a real pain in the butt. I've also had freezing issues and crashing issues, where sometimes MC is wholly unresponsive (either launching or leaving) and other times most of the OS is inaccessible (clicking icons does nothing but I can access menus and launch from spotlight).

I realize that most of the stability issues will be sorted out in forthcoming system updates, but I've been all but assured by everything I've read online and heard from the fools at Apple Support that Expose and Spaces are gone for good. I guess it's Snow Leopard or nothing.
    You are absolutely right. LION IS CRAP. They've completely effed up Spaces and Expose. Moving applications from one space to another is completely gone and "show all application" is gone as well. Try minimizing an application and see if you can find it in "Mission Failure". They have completely destroyed what was once multi-task and turn a perfectly working operating system into an iPad/iTunes mock up.

The navigation and icons are all monochrome and looks like freaken iTunes, it's so hard to identify what is what. Did Apple want to cut cost by removing color?

Apples worst feature "Auto Correct" on a Mac.

I want a refund!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linuxduckie View Post
    You are absolutely right. LION IS CRAP. They've completely effed up Spaces and Expose. Moving applications from one space to another is completely gone and "show all application" is gone as well. Try minimizing an application and see if you can find it in "Mission Failure". They have completely destroyed what was once multi-task and turn a perfectly working operating system into an iPad/iTunes mock up.

The navigation and icons are all monochrome and looks like freaken iTunes, it's so hard to identify what is what. Did Apple want to cut cost by removing color?

Apples worst feature "Auto Correct" on a Mac.

I want a refund!
    Downgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard then, and next time when a huge operating system release executes, read about it before installing it. They did numerous examples on Mission Control in the Lion keynote and they snowed its features, that should have been enough to tell you if it was for you or not. Blatantly installing an operating system without reading it isn't something that I would consider refundable. If I were the sales representative hearing a complaint like that I would call you out on the irresponsibility. Numerous people stuck with Windows XP instead of Vista because they waited to see if it was good or bad, and I'm not calling Lion a Vista because I think Lion is terrific. But maybe you should downgrade to Snow Leopard if you're so dissatisfied. Yes this means a complete restore from disk utility. Reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything.

For those having problems with touch gestures, you can customize them in system preferences. There is no need to complain about the defaults.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    Downgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard then, and next time when a huge operating system release executes, read about it before installing it. They did numerous examples on Mission Control in the Lion keynote and they snowed its features, that should have been enough to tell you if it was for you or not. Blatantly installing an operating system without reading it isn't something that I would consider refundable. If I were the sales representative hearing a complaint like that I would call you out on the irresponsibility. Numerous people stuck with Windows XP instead of Vista because they waited to see if it was good or bad, and I'm not calling Lion a Vista because I think Lion is terrific. But maybe you should downgrade to Snow Leopard if you're so dissatisfied. Yes this means a complete restore from disk utility. Reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything.

For those having problems with touch gestures, you can customize them in system preferences. There is no need to complain about the defaults.
    First off, I have backups and something call a Time Capsule. Reverting back is not the issue. No one in their right mind would go blindly and install any type of upgrade without reading about it or waiting it out, but you will not know for sure how an Upgrade really goes until you actually do the upgrade and test drive it yourself; like buying a car, you have to test drive before you buy, how else would you know personally if it's good or bad? In my case I test drove the OS, it sucks, I want a refund. I disagree with the terms and conditions and do not accept the agreement. I will delete the crapy software and I believe I am entitled for a full refund. That simple.

Don't make assumptions about what I did or didn't do.

I simply agreed with the person's post and put in my 2 cents about what I thought about my experience with Lion and soon to be in the same category of FinalCut X and Vista.

Word of advice, next time ask questions, don't make retarded implicated assumptions of what I've done or others, it just makes you look like a fool for leaping before you look.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linuxduckie View Post
    I simply agreed with the person's post and put in my 2 cents about what I thought about my experience with Lion and soon to be in the same category of FinalCut X and Vista.

Word of advice, next time ask questions, don't make retarded implicated assumptions of what I've done or others, it just makes you look like a fool for leaping before you look.
    I simply disagreed with your comment that you want a refund. I wouldn't buy a product that I researched that was, "missing features" or against my tastes, and if you researched it correctly and saw what you didn't like you wouldn't have bought it. If you did anyway that's a dumb move on your part.

Maybe instead of buying the OS and complaining about it, you should have looked more before you leaped. It makes you look like Apple can make you buy anything.