+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MacBook Air Scores Sky High Geekbench Numbers

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The change from Intel's Core 2 Duo processors to Intel's new SandyBridge Core i5 processors did more than a little good for the new MacBook Airs. The new processors equaled
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default MacBook Air Scores Sky High Geekbench Numbers

The change from Intel's Core 2 Duo processors to Intel's new SandyBridge Core i5 processors did more than a little good for the new MacBook Airs. The new processors equaled nearly two times the performance in the new MBAs according to Geekbench results from LaptopMag.

This year's 13" 1.7Ghz i5 MBA scored 5860 on the Geekbench benchmark compared to last year's score of 2,681. Thats more than double the performance, and the 11" faired even better jumping from 2024 last year to 5040 this year. Bare in mind LaptopMag didn't test the optional 1.8 ghz i7 upgrade for the most expensive 13" model.

To put these numbers in perspective the 2010 17" 2.67GHz i7 MacBook Pro scored a 5423 on the benchmark. While this obviously isn't a real world test pitting both laptops against each other doing high-end video editing, for the average computer user the performance bump is huge.

I guess solid state drives, smaller screens, and crazy efficient SandBridge processors have made for an incredibly fast and incredibly sleek little machine. This isn't helping me not buy a new MBA at all.

Source: LaptopMag

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

This is very good news,i was excited to see what these new laptops would score on some benchmark tests

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

Picking up one of these today

Thanks

Make it a 15" and you have a winner. I don't like squinting Apple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

I have never heard of geekbench - tell me some worldbench plz

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ughhh screen is still too small, if only there was a 15 inch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reppin4you View Post
    ughhh screen is still too small, if only there was a 15 inch.
    i just got mine, I'm literally just starting to play with it now. and the 13 inch, seems plenty big for how thin and lightweight it is, plus full screen apps makes it even sweeter. i wouldn't let 13 in throw you off. I'm LOVING this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are people actually surprised that it's faster with the new chipset? Every notebook with the new chipset is faster. It would even have been nice had they actually compared other notebooks WITH sandybridge so that we'd have a valid realistic review.

It's a great notebook but there's others out there that will either keep up or blow it out of the water for the same cash or less.

Check out the Alienware MX14 configuration at 1499... twice the ram, an I7 not an I5, more ports/features.... for the same money. If you like super thin and Apple, more power to ya. If you want an awesome small notebook for the same money that is about the fastest thing in it's size on the planet, check out the Alienware box. (I'm partial because I bought a new M17x R3 and it's uber

There are also lot's of other ultraportable notebooks sporting sandybridge and i7 processors for the same or less cash.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

The bulk of the performance increase seems to come from Core iX turbo modes. The "1.8ghz" i7 bursts to 2.9 GHz. The 1.6 goes up to 2.3 GHz. Afaik the Core 2 duo's did not burst at all so 1.6 was 1.6.

I'm really surprised that they don't advertise this more.