+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pressure Mounts from US Lawmakers to Block AT&T Takeover of T-Mobile

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Pressure Mounts from US Lawmakers to Block AT&T Takeover of T-Mobile

For several weeks, speculation about US lawmakers intervening in the proposed AT&T takeover of T-Mobile had largely died down. But this morning, Capitol Hill is buzzing with chatter of the pending $39 billion deal following yesterday's impassioned comments from Sen. Herb Kohl, chair of the Senate’s Antitrust Subcommitteee.

”I have concluded that this acquisition, if permitted to proceed, would likely cause substantial harm to competition and consumers, would be contrary to antitrust law and not in the public interest, and therefore should be blocked by your agencies,” Senator Kohl said on Wednesday.

What's interesting about Kohl, however, is that he famously supported the Comcast joint venture with NBC Universal - never uttering a word about possibly blocking the deal. But now the game has changed. How so? Kohl is retiring from the Senate next year and, according to Washington insiders, has become a bit of a "free spirit."

"Kohl is the first of influential lawmakers to say the deal should be rejected," the Washington Post reported yesterday. Although one lone man cannot block the merger, it appears that Kohl's stance has motivated some of his colleagues in the House of Representatives to take up his side of the argument too.

In a public letter to the FCC and the Justice Department this week, Rep. Anna Eshoo, Rep. Edward Markey, and House Judiciary ranking member Rep. John Conyers, wrote the following: “We believe that AT&T’s acquisition of T-Mobile would be a troubling backward step in federal public policy–a retrenchment from nearly two decades of promoting competition and open markets to acceptance of a duopoly in the wireless marketplace. Such industry consolidation could reduce competition and increase consumer costs at a time our country can least afford it.”

Source: Washington Post

Banned
    Thanks

Some of this logic should be applied to all the frivolous lawsuits apple files to stop competition.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So it's ok to let T-Mobile die on the vine? What about T-Mobile users? They don't use cad phones.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple waiting silently. Once AT&T acquires T-Mobile, I expect Apple to acquire AT&T in a blockbuster world-shocking move.

Apple Mobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Some of this logic should be applied to all the frivolous lawsuits apple files to stop competition.
    You cant stop apple from suing everyone. It's just a matter of whether they win or simply annoy the other party legally, enough for them to stop whatever its about.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Apple waiting silently. Once AT&T acquires T-Mobile, I expect Apple to acquire AT&T in a blockbuster world-shocking move.

Apple Mobile.
    Apple Mobile I can see it now hahaha

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

AT&T + T-Mobile = GSM monopoly in the USA.

Sprint and Verizion use CDMA.
    Last edited by Mes; 07-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post

Yep. Being a T-Mobile user, I don't want to have AT&T merge. I think T-Mobile is better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post

Exactly. For those of us who prefer GSM over CDMA, ATT-Mobile will become the ONLY GSM carrier in the States. While there is still competition for cellphone carriers in general, ATT-Mobile would eliminate all GSM competition.

As a Tmobile customer, I seriously hope they don't merge. Even though I'm stuck with Edge on my iP4, I pay 5$ a month for unlimited data on my line. In most of Southern California, coverage is pretty great too, so I usually have 4-5 bars. If this goes through, I won't even be able to use my iP4 freely without data. Previously, I didn't need data, so I didn't have it added on, so I didn't end up paying extra on my bill. ATT is ridiculously strict about this -- unlocked smartphones, phones from overseas, etc, must all have a smartphone data plan, regardless of whether or not it's ATT. Meh. Don't want this to happen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's the reason why we left AT&T. They won't let us use our unlock Iphones without a data plan. Now we're saving a lot by going with TMobile, 4 lines less than $100/month with unlimited data and text messaging on the 3 lines. I don't think AT&T will offer the same.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thumbs up I agree! Well said
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post

Apple Mobile.
    Well Said

Thanks

Good call

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Just think about it..... Apple has nearly $80 billion in cash.....growing every single quarter. They just bought 58% of the Nortel patents for a relatively small couple billion dollars. They're also extremely secretive.

The expansion of their Cupertino headquarters will be a small percentage of their cash on hand. And does anybody even know WHY they are expanding their headquarters?

Add it all up....and it sure does seem like Apple is planning something big for the near future. But that's just my theory.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ApertureSci3nce View Post
    Apple Mobile I can see it now hahaha
    All i see, If crapple-apple take over t-mobile. It'll be the end of family and unlimited plans...

Thanks

+1
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

Thanks

From a business standpoint, I think Apple would be foolish not to snatch T-Mobile up out from under AT&T. That would be a great way to enter the cellular market with an already functioning business model in place. Think about it...the iPhone 4 costs $187.51 to manufacture, so even with the reduced pricing($199/$299), combined with a 2-yr contract, they are still making a profit on the phone purchases. Then add in the profit for services for the 2 years. It's a double win in my opinion.

Furthering my Devil's Advocate stance with a fantasy suggestion...

Buy T-Mobile, make ALL future iPhone purchases exclusive to T-Mobile only and, well, it would undeniably get very interesting...and VERY profitable for Apple.

Yes, I know...fantasyland, but I thought it was funny.
    Last edited by 4n4c0nd4; 07-28-2011 at 03:17 AM.