+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Excites with 64-Bit iTunes and Full-Screen Support

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Excites with 64-Bit iTunes and Full-Screen Support

On a day of jam-packed Apple news and exciting - not to mention long-awaited - software and hardware releases, iTunes wasn't left out in the cold by any stretch of the imagination. Apple has released iTunes 10.4 which follows the early Wednesday morning release of OS X Lion.

The update to iTunes not only delivers 64 bit Cocoa support for OS X Lion users, but also packs full-screen support. Needless to say, "iTunes 10.4 is now designed for OS X Lion," Apple announced. "You can now use iTunes with OS X Lionís new Full-Screen App capability, which allows you to use iTunes and other apps without distractions. Navigate between full-screen apps with a simple gesture."

Also embellishing the update further are much-needed stability and performance improvements. The only trade-off (if you even want to call it that) is that a few iTunes plug-ins are no longer going to play nice and be compatible with the new version of iTunes.

For more information about Apple's complete slate of new products and offerings, check out Phillip Swanson's report this morning covering the release of OS X Lion, updated MacBook Airs, and the new Mac Minis.

Source: Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

iTunes for Windows has had full screen.

Thanks

There is a 10.4 update for windows as well. What's new in that?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good I suppose, but I don't understand why they couldn't have included iTunes 10.4 in the installation of Lion

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Now if thy would only get 64bit support for Windows XP. I can't believe them idiots never made a version for that. That's the computer that I have all my free hard drive space on and can't use the home sharing from my apple TV.

Thanks

Interesting how there's been 64 bit windows version for a while but only now there's one for mac
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Now if thy would only get 64bit support for Windows XP. I can't believe them idiots never made a version for that. That's the computer that I have all my free hard drive space on and can't use the home sharing from my apple TV.
    I actually cannot think of a use of a 64bit media player.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James1o1o View Post
    I actually cannot think of a use of a 64bit media player.
    The 64-bit iTunes version for Windows is actually mainly a 32 bit process. If you look at your task manager on a 64 bit machine, it says it's a 32 bit process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon M. View Post
    The 64-bit iTunes version for Windows is actually mainly a 32 bit process. If you look at your task manager on a 64 bit machine, it says it's a 32 bit process.
    Yet the 32bit iTunes requires you to not be running 64bit Windows.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

....Windows XP is 32-Bit...... facealm

*unless for some reason you are running the (mainly experimental) Windows XP Pro 64-Bit version

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The "64bit" version of itunes is just a 32 bit WOW application. Is this new version actually a 64bit application?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    The "64bit" version of itunes is just a 32 bit WOW application. Is this new version actually a 64bit application?
    Which brings me to my point, why waste time developing a 64bit version and wasting time on an already lagging behind media player (in terms of performance).

Thanks

Pretty sure you can make this work with the 32bit version. If not, virtualize...man.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Also worth noting that the entire iLife has gotten an update enabling fullscreen, as has iWork.

Are you running Windows XP 64bit? Do you have more than 4GB of RAM?
    If you answer NO to any other those questions, then STFU.

What do you hope to achieve by having a fully 64bit iTunes? Your music to sound better?
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 07-20-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    What do you hope to achieve by having a fully 64bit iTunes? Your music to sound better?
    It's a more efficient instruction set (fetches data less often) and utilizes more RAM so the program will run faster while scrolling through apps, flipping through menus, etc.

64bit is the only way to go, for ALL programs. I can envision a day when all that 32bit crap finally dies, and on that day I will pop open a champagne bottle and toast to its demise, laughing.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It's a more efficient instruction set (fetches data less often) and utilizes more RAM so the program will run faster while scrolling through apps, flipping through menus, etc.

64bit is the only way to go, for ALL programs. I can envision a day when all that 32bit crap finally dies, and on that day I will pop open a champagne bottle and toast to its demise, laughing.
    You do realize what you said has just about no truth in it. A wide majority of popular and widley used programs are 32 bit. They will most certaintly run on a 64 bit OS and run just fine.

Thanks

You call Apple idiots when you use grammar like a backwoods hick? Lmao...

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Also worth noting that the entire iLife has gotten an update enabling fullscreen, as has iWork.

Are you running Windows XP 64bit? Do you have more than 4GB of RAM?
    If you answer NO to any other those questions, then STFU.

Why else would I be running the 64bit version of XP your moron. Don't come on here and tell me to STFU, do you think were all morons here or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Pretty sure you can make this work with the 32bit version. If not, virtualize...man.
    No you can't, and I really shouldn't have to virtualize just because Apple is bright enough to make a version for XP x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
    Seriously if this was my only machine how would I even be able to activate an iPad, iPhone, or iPod? Or am I the only one running Windows XP 64bit? It just doesn't make sense Apple
    Last edited by GrandMstrBud; 07-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
    Pot calling the kettle black?

OT: it's about time they made it 64bit. Maybe now I'll actually use it as my main music program.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Jesus, and people wonder why Mac users pity Windows enthusiasts.