+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: R.I.P White MacBook, We Bid Thee Farewell

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It finally happened. Apple has killed off the white MacBook. The popular option amongst students, and secondary education institutions is no more. The move does make sense, the white MB
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default R.I.P White MacBook, We Bide Thee Farewell

It finally happened. Apple has killed off the white MacBook. The popular option amongst students, and secondary education institutions is no more.

The move does make sense, the white MB and the new Macbook Airs would have shared the same price point and resulted in competition for consumers' hearts. And as we all know Apple loves pushing new products on consumers, but it also means the Apple line of laptops share a unifying aluminum look.

However, the move does present a precarious predicament for secondary and higher education institutions. A number private schools and school districts have implemented or are the process of implementing 1:1 laptop programs for their students and many of these were built around the white MacBook. These institutions liked the cheap price point, larger hard disks, and optical drives. Its familiar to students and faculty alike, and at the right price.

Schools must now choose between a $949 (education discount) 11" MBA and a $1099 13" MacBook Pro. Obviously the schools may get some added discount if they purchase in volume, but when purchasing hundreds and possibly thousands of laptops, the extra $100 in cost per unit adds up very quickly, especially for cash strapped school districts. Also, the elimination of a lower priced MB with an optical drive hurts. The external SuperDrive costs $79.99 and is just another item that students could break or possibly lose.

It will be interesting to see what schools decide to do now. Will they move towards cheaper windows equivalents (many already do) or will they opt for one of their two new more expensive Apple solutions?

Source:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,205 Posts

Amen
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It always looked out of place to me anyway. Rest In Peace.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

YAY! The white MB always turned a nasty yellow color after a few months from dirt and oil anyways. I see no reason Apple should keep around old products because 3rd parties have adopted them into their programs.

Thanks

So I literally JUST bought one of these! My order was placed on 7/15 and less than a week later they EOL it... Oh well, for the same price I would rather sacrifice a little processing power to have a larger scree, longer battery life and a few more ports. I absolutely love my MB, it was a good decision. I would have went with the MBP, but $$ is tight.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    So I literally JUST bought one of these! My order was placed on 7/15 and less than a week later they EOL it... Oh well, for the same price I would rather sacrifice a little processing power to have a larger scree, longer battery life and a few more ports. I absolutely love my MB, it was a good decision. I would have went with the MBP, but $$ is tight.
    You still have 9 days to return/exhange it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    YAY! The white MB always turned a nasty yellow color after a few months from dirt and oil anyways. I see no reason Apple should keep around old products because 3rd parties have adopted them into their programs.
    I have an old white iBook G4 that's still white. Only some scratches but no discolouration. Never seen the newer MacBooks get discoloured either.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    Got to pay for restocking fees though..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    Good looking out! As enticing as that sounds, I just don't have the cash to pay restocking and then the difference for the MBP
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Good looking out! As enticing as that sounds, I just don't have the cash to pay restocking and then the difference for the MBP
    There is no restocking fee for anything at the Apple Store anymore. They did away with those a few months ago.

Thanks

I would rather have a macbook that doesnt blow up completely if you drop it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post
    There is no restocking fee for anything at the Apple Store anymore. They did away with those a few months ago.
    For now.......but when the next oPhine comes out (or right before)?

Thanks

Say what?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I have an old white iBook G4 that's still white. Only some scratches but no discolouration. Never seen the newer MacBooks get discoloured either.
    He may have had one of the original MacBooks. They did have a discoloration problem with the wrist rests.