Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ITC Rules in Favor of Apple in HTC Patent Case

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default ITC Rules in Favor of Apple in HTC Patent Case

For HTC officials, this weekend may not be as relaxing as it otherwise would have been had the International Trade Commission not ruled in favor of Apple today. Earlier this afternoon, the ITC determined (in its initial ruling) that HTC is, in fact, violating two of Apple's patents.

In March of 2010, Apple filed a complaint asserting that HTC was in violation of ten of its patents. Today, an ITC administrative law judge decided that Apple was right, but only with regard to two of the patents in question. Still, this victory for Apple is one major step toward the outcome that would see HTC products banned from entering the US.

Naturally, the folks at HTC aren't thrilled. And they vow to fight. "HTC will vigorously fight these two remaining patents through an appeal before the ITC commissioners who make the final decision," Grace Lei, general counsel for HTC, said after the ruling was announced earlier today. "This is only one step of many in these legal proceedings."

Earlier this week, Apple filed another complaint with the ITC alleging that HTC's patent violations didn't end with the first ten alleged violations. Apple maintains that an additional five patents are now being infringed upon by HTC. It isn't yet clear how long it will take for the ITC to sort through and resolve the full body of complaints issued by Apple.

Source: CNET

All your technology are belong to Apple?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Two patent violations....hardly enough to justify banning from US sales. Especially considering Apple has a nag for patent infringement as well. Maybe they should ban themselves.

I'm sure tomorrow Apple will make up another 15 patents that HTC is violating since they couldn't get all 10 in this round.

Quote Originally Posted by CNET Article
    "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in the release.
    OReally? That must be why you agreed to settle out and pay Nokia a large lump sum on top of royalties for using NOKIA'S technology in YOUR products to end a war which saw Nokia filing some 46 complaints against you. Get the f**k out of here with that hypocritical statement for the ages. This is just your way of dealing with real competition. Apple is after all 3 of the major phone manufacturers.....Motorola, Samsung, and HTC. This is not a coincidence. This is one greedy company trying to manipulate the legal system to get rid of the competition without buying them out and creating a monopoly.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-15-2011 at 08:41 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 on a "system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data"U.S. Patent No. 6,343,263 on a "real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data" Seriously.... who the hell decided to grant these stupid patents?

Default Yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by exodia1010 View Post
    All your technology are belong to Apple?
    and there you have it. wow.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Two patent violations....hardly enough to justify banning from US sales. Especially considering Apple has a nag for patent infringement as well. Maybe they should ban themselves.

I'm sure tomorrow Apple will make up another 15 patents that HTC is violating since they couldn't get all 10 in this round.

OReally? That must be why you agreed to settle out and pay Nokia a large lump sum on top of royalties for using NOKIA'S technology in YOUR products to end a war which saw Nokia filing some 46 complaints against you. Get the f**k out of here with that hypocritical statement for the ages. This is just your way of dealing with real competition. Apple is after all 3 of the major phone manufacturers.....Motorola, Samsung, and HTC. This is not a coincidence. This is one greedy company trying to manipulate the legal system to get rid of the competition without buying them out and creating a monopoly.
    You have a great point, but those three arent evneen in the top 5, actually the closest is Samsung been sixth, Apple is going after the little one firstcause they know that if those companies fall because of suppoused patent violations the users of those cellphones will surely go for an iphone. I think thats the plan, not sure, but is the only reason to sue, because even by supousedly stealing tech, the company isin't selling what they use to before the iPhone arrival to the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 on a "system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data"U.S. Patent No. 6,343,263 on a "real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data" Seriously.... who the hell decided to grant these stupid patents?
    the stupid patent dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaider View Post
    the stupid patent dealers.
    This is the reason I will never buy another Apple product. The dominance of Android in the market has Apple a little scared. The company is far from revolutionary although they are great a packaging somewhat innovative products. Their ability to tap into social trends has been impressive. No one liked Microsoft for being anti-competitive in the 90s. The difference here is there are PLENTY of substitute products this time around.

I would love nothing more then to see this backfire in Apple's face. Let's be honest, the patent system is broken and much of today's cell tech came from Nokia. One of those patents applies to pretty much any electronic device ever made. Absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    The dominance of Android in the market has Apple a little scared.
    Yeah, but not really. Regardless of what the patents may have been, hardware sales are what we're talking about. Android is an operating system. While Android may be a dominating OS, it's spread across several manufacturers. What phone hardware manufacturer has Apple scared? They're still doing quite well compared to any other single manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    This is the reason I will never buy another Apple product. The dominance of Android in the market has Apple a little scared. The company is far from revolutionary although they are great a packaging somewhat innovative products. Their ability to tap into social trends has been impressive. No one liked Microsoft for being anti-competitive in the 90s. The difference here is there are PLENTY of substitute products this time around.

I would love nothing more then to see this backfire in Apple's face. Let's be honest, the patent system is broken and much of today's cell tech came from Nokia. One of those patents applies to pretty much any electronic device ever made. Absolutely ridiculous.
    ya well, the court they have right now, and who ever gave the ruling probably has no idea what the patent info means, and/or just going apple because their a bigger company then HTC. or both. might be both. if its both i wont be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Yeah, but not really. Regardless of what the patents may have been, hardware sales are what we're talking about. Android is an operating system. While Android may be a dominating OS, it's spread across several manufacturers. What phone hardware manufacturer has Apple scared? They're still doing quite well compared to any other single manufacturer.
    but they are going after them. what will they do AFTER the HTC crap? will they stop or will they continue on? (win or lose)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaider View Post
    ya well, the court they have right now, and who ever gave the ruling probably has no idea what the patent info means, and/or just going apple because their a bigger company then HTC. or both. might be both. if its both i wont be shocked.

but they are going after them. what will they do AFTER the HTC crap? will they stop or will they continue on? (win or lose)
    Doesn't HTC also make Win 7 phones? Are they only suing them because they sell Android phones? Or is it because they're part of the competition? All I'm saying is, lets not turn this into an Android vs iOS topic when that's clearly not what it's about. Any phone that's not running iOS is a threat to Apple.

i sold my 2 apple iphone last week on ebay got 986$ for two i went to buy htc evo 3d ..

and i loved 2 core is better than one .. all the free **** all the freedom . i hope htc win so they can sue them back
    Last edited by dizvietkid; 07-16-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Does anyone else hate everything RICO posts on this site. On a more related note though, good i would love to see htc go down since they make half *** products

Quote Originally Posted by dizvietkid View Post
    i sold my 2 apple iphone last week on ebay got 986$ for two i went to buy htc evo 3d ..

and i loved 2 core is better than one .. all the free **** all the freedom . i hope htc win so they can sue them back
    LMAO You're A Joke

apple is taking over the world how you like those apples!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Does anyone else hate everything RICO posts on this site. On a more related note though, good i would love to see htc go down since they make half *** products
    That must be why you hate me.....because I keep an open mind and don't think solely inside the Apple box.

"But RICO....this is a forum for Apple fanatics."

No it's not....this is a forum for people who own Apple products or have aspirations of owning Apple products and want to hear the latest news on them. Good OR bad. There are just as many people who dislike Apple who are members of this site as there are people who adore Apple.

You may not like me because i call it like I see it, but you know damn well that what I said in my first post is true. Steve Jobs and Apple are no better than the companies they are trying to run out with their lawsuits and alleged patent infringements.

You want to talk about half-a** products. Fine let's do that. Let's talk about a phone that was built with a hardware defect that Steve KNEW about and still allowed the design and production to continue.....all based out of a supposed $100 million signal testing facility. Let's talk about iOS 4 with it's false signal strength readings, laggy performance, and the fact that it basically gave 3G iPhones a heart attack when it was installed. And let's talk about Steve's unwillingness to acknowledge his signal problem and essentially blaming the customer before the backlash got so severe that he was basically forced to band-aid the fix with free bumpers and selected cases.

Do other companies have problems with their phones......of course, but Apple takes great pride in flaunting their successes and "innovative" products much more than anyone else....and if you're gonna draw that kind of attention to yourself then you should probably make sure that your product actually IS leaps and bounds better than anyone else.....which is just not the case.

If HTC were making "half-a** products" I don't think Apple would be paying them this much attention and be trying to get them freakin BANNED from the U.S. That's how you know one company is scared of another and feels like they are losing or are about to lose ground against them.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-16-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Doesn't HTC also make Win 7 phones? Are they only suing them because they sell Android phones? Or is it because they're part of the competition? All I'm saying is, lets not turn this into an Android vs iOS topic when that's clearly not what it's about. Any phone that's not running iOS is a threat to Apple.
    any phone not running ios? dude apple doesn't give any of their OS's to aything other the apple hardware.

besides, if they do eliminate the competition by hiding behind some lawyers crying like babys, there wouldn't be any reason to make better products.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbebe View Post
    apple is taking over the world how you like those apples!!!!
    I'm Really Liking Those Apples

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope, RICO makes a good point. Even though this is an Apple based site, you have some Apple fanboys that can see the BS Apple is trying to do. HTC dosn't make half *** products. My Evo 3D isn't half assed so idk where your getting the idea from. If a company makes half *** products all you gotta do is look at Apple and their iPhone. The 1st gen phone was a total mess, it wasnt until the 3rd version that they started making a decent phone. Apple will rather sue it's way to the top rather than compete head on. Like Breezer23 said "One of those patents applies to pretty much any electronic device ever made" Apple is loosing to the competition and their taking the cheap way to try and stay dominant.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Painkiller006 For This Useful Post:

RICO_ (07-16-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No, but I hate people who have a blind allegiance to everything a company does. You do realize that Apple will never ever reward you for your "loyalty"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast