+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Raises The Retail Stakes Against Apple with Plans for 75 More Stores

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Microsoft Raises The Retail Stakes Against Apple with Plans for 75 More Stores

On the same day that Apple is hailed as the nation's fastest growing retailer (as measured by sales growth during the first quarter of 2011), tech giant rival Microsoft has endeavored to steal Apple's thunder. Microsoft has formally announced plans to better challenge Apple's massive retail platform with 75 additional stores of its own.

Announced today at WPC 2011, Microsoft said that it will be opening 75 new stores over the next two to three years. This expansion will include outside of the US as they work to expand the “Microsoft story.”
    That "Microsoft Story" will all but certainly borrow a page or two from Apple's massively successful retail strategy, an ten-year effort that resulted in more than one billion customers passing through Apple's 300+ retail locations in eleven countries on four continents.

Apple's bold 2001 venture into the competitive world of brick-and-mortar retail is, arguably, the primary reason the company and its products survived near total collapse in the previous decade. Without question, Apple's robust retail strategy has helped propel the company's market capitalization -- its stock price times the number of shares outstanding -- well past $300 billion.

Microsoft didn't provide many elaborate details on its retail plans today, but during the formal announcement, the Redmond, Washington-based company unveiled a map of forthcoming locations, which will span the US pretty comprehensively within the next thirty-six months.

Humorously pointed out by the folks at Neowin, Microsoft used its presentation to show "that an Apple retailer in Latin America was showing off Apple hardware running Windows 7. Microsoft used this to poke fun that Apple makes fantastic hardware but that their OS is still behind Windows 7."

Source: Neowin

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like no Microsoft store near me, bummer.

Thanks

I went back to my hometown in orange county ca and my cousin and I saw a Microsoft store at south coast plaza... We were like WTF?? lol. SAME layout as an apple store but dead inside. I'm surprised apple hasn't sued them for how the employes were dressed and how the whole store is an exact replica of it!!! It was crazy. Even though I got a win 7 theme on my phone I still would never get one nor a windows comp =p

Thanks

And they wonder WHY more people choose Apple. At there's & Apple Store there in Alaska. Why make Best buy the SOLE Store for selling PC's? COME ON Microsoft!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is my first post ever! I had to point out, however, that the marker for the "Lone Tree, CO" store on Microsoft's map is in the middle of Wyoming. HUGE geography fail.

EMH
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daaguado View Post
    This is my first post ever! I had to point out, however, that the marker for the "Lone Tree, CO" store on Microsoft's map is in the middle of Wyoming. HUGE geography fail.
    I was about to say the same thing after just having visited the Microsoft Store in Colorado, and I definitely did NOT go that far north. :P

Thanks

The main issue with non-Apple branded hardware, is the sole fact of service. What happens if you have an issue with your machine? Its most likely going to happen if you have it a few years... I have had several minor to major issues with all of my Apple hardware I kept a few years. All of my friends have had issue with cheap notebooks... Even with the often included 1 year warranty, its a REAL hassle to have to call them up, hope you get an RMA issued after showing proof of purchase among other questions, box it up, send it back, wait to see if its going to cost you anything, wait a week for it to ship back, and hope it was actually repaired. With Apple hardware, you make an appointment, show up, they make it all better. You don't need to show them anything besides whats wrong, they handle the rest. Sure, you PAY for this great service, but I feel its worth it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The first thought I had when I read this was, "Microsoft has stores?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Looks like no Microsoft store near me, bummer.
    Wow.
    I can see from the second map, that there's already a Microsoft store near me.

In the local mall, cozied up right next to the Apple Store (one of three in my area). Been there two years, I must have walked past it dozens of times, but oddly this article on MMi is the first I've ever heard of it.

Edit:

Not quite.
    I do vaguely recall some kind of weird summer event with a band playing in the parking lot, a tight pen of fans(?) with some strangely choreographed cheering, the ubiquitous MS logo flying everywhere, but couldn't find the danged store when I went hunting for it later.

Not sure if the event (in the middle of an open parking lot at a very public mall) was even open to the public; the people in attendance ignored me when I walked over to gawk. They might have all been drones shipped out from Redmond for all I could tell.

not the same vibe as:
    Remembering the opening of the Glendale Apple Store | Computers | MacUser | Macworld
    or
    The Privileges of the Reserved IPhone 4 Line - Digits - WSJ

Thanks

It's nice to see that Microsoft knows where Colorado is...

Thanks

LOL!!!& They wonder WHY so many People Choose apple over PCs. Well the fact that there's an Apple Store in just bout EVERY State in the US, even Here in Alaska there's an Apple Store. Microsoft needs to step up their Store openings & not just in Fav spots but in Spot where only Apple stores Rule"like Alaska"

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

More stores, less technology. People don't need to buy stores, give to the people more interesting technology like apple.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The reasoning behind the Apple stores is that if people have a chance to actually play around with the hardware it might change their perception of it and be more open to the possibility of buying a Mac. If Microsoft wants to change people's perception of Windows they're first going to have to stop billboards, in store terminals and even digital projectors running a windows backend from displaying the BSOD and general error messages. I haven't used Windows since 2008 and I still see Windows errors all the time in public! Yesterday I saw both the hiring terminals at the local target had the BSOD. BOTH OF THEM! I used to take a picture every time I saw a BSOD in public but it occurs so frequently now I don't even see the point.
    Last edited by Spamcan; 07-14-2011 at 08:01 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spamcan For This Useful Post:

raduga (07-14-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    LOL!!!& They wonder WHY so many People Choose apple over PCs. Well the fact that there's an Apple Store in just bout EVERY State in the US, even Here in Alaska there's an Apple Store. Microsoft needs to step up their Store openings & not just in Fav spots but in Spot where only Apple stores Rule"like Alaska"
    LOL! So many people choose macs over pc's?? Really? Macs are like 1% of the market, very few people use a Mac compared to the amount of people who use Windows. I like iPhones but not Macs. Building your own PC > paying crazy amounts of money for Apple's stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Spamcan View Post
    The reasoning behind the Apple stores is that if people have a chance to actually play around with the hardware it might change their perception of it and be more open to the possibility of buying a Mac. If Microsoft wants to change people's perception of Windows they're first going to have to stop billboards, in store terminals and even digital projectors running a windows backend from displaying the BSOD and general error messages. I haven't used Windows since 2008 and I still see Windows errors all the time in public! Yesterday I saw both the hiring terminals at the local target had the BSOD. BOTH OF THEM! I used to take a picture every time I saw a BSOD in public but it occurs so frequently now I don't even see the point.
    Are you kidding me? I haven't had a BSOD since Vista beta's and I use windows daily for hours. I have yet to see a single BSOD on Windows 7 on my Pc or any of my friends. I play PC games and tweak a lot of stuff even. If people are gonna use a 8 year old OS in a public place then Lol @ them. Obviously older OS's are bound to have some issues with newer hardware. And BSOD's are wiithout a doubt less common to see now than they were during the XP era.
    Last edited by bts0uth; 07-14-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bts0uth View Post
    LOL! So many people choose macs over pc's?? Really? Macs are like 1% of the market, very few people use a Mac compared to the amount of people who use Windows. I like iPhones but not Macs. Building your own PC > paying crazy amounts of money for Apple's stuff
    +1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spamcan View Post
    I haven't used Windows since 2008 and I still see Windows errors all the time in public! Yesterday I saw both the hiring terminals at the local target had the BSOD. BOTH OF THEM! I used to take a picture every time I saw a BSOD in public but it occurs so frequently now I don't even see the point.

i have experience with public windows powered billboards and i can tell you that 80% of the time, these place get the cheapest piece of **** computer and install windows vista/7 thinking it will speed stuff up. the os (on the one i worked on) took up 60% of the resources then the stuff running to display the ad or whatever took up so much that it overloaded. if they use a pc thats not so much crap, then BSOD wont happen. unless theres a software issue like the drivers screwed up.

and apple computers aren't immune to issues either so its not a better choice.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blakenbush View Post
    It's nice to see that Microsoft knows where Colorado is...

HAHAHAH ya i saw that to LOL

Way to go Microsoft!

For those who don't know what we both are talking about, Lone Tree, Colorado is in Colorado, not somewhere in Wyoming,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bts0uth View Post
    Are you kidding me? I haven't had a BSOD since Vista beta's and I use windows daily for hours. I have yet to see a single BSOD on Windows 7 on my Pc or any of my friends. I play PC games and tweak a lot of stuff even. If people are gonna use a 8 year old OS in a public place then Lol @ them. Obviously older OS's are bound to have some issues with newer hardware. And BSOD's are wiithout a doubt less common to see now than they were during the XP era.
    How often they BSOD depends on how hard you keep hitting them. For me, it could be ~ weekly, but where I see it, frequently there's a lot of abuse.

EMBEDDED systems are a whole 'nother story.
    For most entities that operate armadas of them, the internal OS usually won't get upgraded until they get around to investing another multi-megabuck in infrastructure costs. As long as the old ones still work, it doesn't make financial sense to throw out the baby and bathwater.

In the example from Target:
    most likely the people in the local store have no control and no say over what the "hiring terminals" are, or do. Central corporate decision-making, and the hassle of having different versions of terminals with different versions of OS could easily be an unjustifiable expense. Slowly the old embedded XP systems are dying, but if the hardware was built well enough to LAST 8 years, they die much slower.
    e.g. the International Space Station runs on an Intel 80386SX-20 w/ Intel 80387 FPU.
    The Hubble Space Telescope - used to be a 386, but the last servicing mission upgraded it to a 486.

Billboards aren't rocket science, but the guys that make them don't want to have to mess with them much.