+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Back-To-School Promo Apparently Doesn't Suck

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Despite being met by a wholehearted "meh" by the blogging collective when it was announced, Apple's back-to-school promotion appears to being crushing the competition in education sales. According to Trip
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Back-To-School Promo Apparently Doesn't Suck

Despite being met by a wholehearted "meh" by the blogging collective when it was announced, Apple's back-to-school promotion appears to being crushing the competition in education sales.

According to Trip Chowdhry, a Global Equities Research analyst, sales of Apple's Macs have been outselling Windows PCs stating nearly "80% of incoming students are buying Apple Computers vs. Windowns Computers."

When Apple announced it would offer a $100 iTunes store credit to students it was implied that the credit would be used towards apps. Most are buying songs. The youth know not what they possess.

While Apple has been sucking market share up on college campuses across the country, it seems Fortune 500 companies are following suit as well. Chowdrhy reports that nearly 35% of Fortune 500 companies are offering Apple computers as a choice to their workers "and the majority are preferring Apple over Windows."

However, I would imagine a number of those enterprise Macs are running Windows 7 via bootcamp or some sort of parallels software to use Windows.

Source: Apple Insider

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is actually a bad thing to people who actually enjoy OSX. Now that theres more people choosing MAC over PC, OSX will get more attention from hackers/virus makers

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Every college I've attended, from community colleges to state universities, have for a good many years been dominated by mac users. It's nigh impossible to walk into a classroom and not see at least half the laptops in the room sporting that glowing apple. I'm thinking it's a safe assumption that Apple would have dominated the college laptop buying crowd this year regardless of being offered a free iPod or a lousy giftcard.

Green Apple
    Thanks

There's no "Windows" computer. There are PCs running Windows, let along most Macs have Windows bootcamp.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

I think if I didn't have have a Mac right now I'd be all over turning my "pc" into a hackintosh for sure!!!

Thanks

I wish I had this when I bought my Mac. All I got was 100 bucks off and a free iPod Touch. Boo.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

Seems good to me. Wish I was a student. Heck a $100. I could use that on pages and numbers and keynote apps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, universities are dominated by Macs. At my school, 50% or more of the computers in any given class are MacBooks

If you're at the bottom of a darkened auditorium classroom, its a sight to behold.

In any case, I opted for the Best Buy match and got a $100 BB gift card instead

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Obviously most of them were gonna buy music cause the mac app store sucks but if they were really smart they would buy ios games from the itunes app store from gameloft and other wonderful games the itunes app store definately had an increase in the number of downloaded apps its pretty sad that apple thought the giftcard would make ppl buy mac app store apps but instead ppl bought muskc and maybe some bought apps from the itunes store
    Last edited by matrixhunter; 07-10-2011 at 03:25 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    Obviously most of them were gonna buy music cause the mac app store sucks but if they were really smart they would buy ios games from the itunes app store from gameloft and other wonderful games the itunes app store definately had an increase in the number of downloaded apps its pretty sad that apple thought the giftcard would make ppl buy mac app store apps but instead ppl bought muskc and maybe some bought apps from the itunes store
    Nope you can only use it in the Mac App Store not on iTunes or the iOS App Store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post

umm no

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Nope you can only use it in the Mac App Store not on iTunes or the iOS App Store.
    Don't know where you heard that but you are wrong.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
    This is actually a bad thing to people who actually enjoy OSX. Now that theres more people choosing MAC over PC, OSX will get more attention from hackers/virus makers
    Yes but it also mean more attention from software developers and maybe Microsoft will actually start producing a decent Office suite for the Mac and we will also see other great PC only programs come to the Mac app store?

I hope so because at the point my PC will become less and less needed in my everyday life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
    Market share is not as huge of a part of hackers coming to osx as you may think. OS9 had a way smaller market share yet was riddled with viruses and malware.

It does play a part but not that big of one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd still rather get a free iTouch though...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yea the iPod touch is definitely better. Resale value is higher than $100

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple's Back-To-School Promo Apparently Doesn't Suck...OH YES IT DOES!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple's promotion sucks 100%. I price matched microcells $999 price at best buy so that is student discount pluss an extra $100 off instead of a gift card. (I priced matched them cuz i got couple gift cards)... would have been better for a free ipod touch but oh well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baabaa View Post
    There's no "Windows" computer. There are PCs running Windows, let along most Macs have Windows bootcamp.
    OK, would you rather it be phrased, "PCs that run Windows or PCs that run Mac OS X?" Mac people throw around 'PC' too much as if it means something beyond a certain collection of parts. The difference is in the software, so refer to the OS instead, I say.