+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speculation Pegs Apple for 1080p HD Movies Via iTunes This Fall

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Speculation Pegs Apple for 1080p HD Movies Via iTunes This Fall

Leading into this weekend, reports surfaced yet again that Apple is supposedly prepping HD movies for availability through iTunes beginning this fall. Speculation surfaced following earlier reports that various entertainment industry giants - including movie studios and TV production companies - are now providing Apple with content in a new and higher-resolution HD format.

According to AppleInsider five studios have submitted movies to Apple in an “HD+” format, HD+ reportedly being 1920×1080 with a bitrate of 10Mbps.
    Presently, the best quality Apple can offer via iTunes comes in at 720p (1280x720). Clearly, if Apple wants to better compete with the multitude of HD streaming and on-demand video services that will soon flood every nook and cranny of the home entertainment market, the move makes sense.

So, consequently, not withstanding the reports we're hearing around the blogosphere, perhaps the greatest "evidence" that Apple is going into 1080p HD territory is that it basically has to in order to keep pace with the rest of the industry. And based on the chatter I've heard and the sources I've connected with, Apple may be ready for this rumored upgrade before the summer comes to a close.

Of course, while everyone is looking to iTunes for the platform that will deliver the higher-res content, let's not forget about the prospect of a 1080p-ready Apple TV, which, to be perfectly honest, may be something we get before the iPad 3.

Source: TechnoBuffalo

Green Apple
    Thanks

The better offer 1080p

Thanks

An hd apple tv, with iPad/phone as a remote. That would be cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hence the large data storage aquisition by apple recently

Thanks

The funny thing is I have 12 2k (2048×1556) movies on my computer and a few 4k (4096×2160); and yes they do take up a lot of space, so I consider 1080p to be low quality and 720p is just... well rubbish.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

So my question is if 1080 content is streamed to the current apple tv is it really shown as 1080 on my tv? In other words is the current apple tv capable of 1080p output with a firmware change??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    The funny thing is I have 12 2k (2048×1556) movies on my computer and a few 4k (4096×2160); and yes they do take up a lot of space, so I consider 1080p to be low quality and 720p is just... well rubbish.
    Do you have a Projector that can output at 4K onto a 30ft screen?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    And do you even have a display that can support a higher output than 1080p? If not then what a waste of time and space!