Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Big Surprise, Apple Plans to Fix JailbreakMe PDF Exploit in Next iOS Update

Default Big Surprise, Apple Plans to Fix JailbreakMe PDF Exploit in Next iOS Update

Turns out JailbreakMe's run will be short lived. Like abandoned-toy-yorkie short lived.

JailbreakMe relies on a PDF exploit and according to the Associated Press an Apple spokesperson informed them that Apple is "aware of this reported issue and developing a fix that will be available to customers in an upcoming software update."

Granted the JailbreakMe process uses an exploit that Apple was likely to change anyway, but can't Cupertino just let us be? Seriously, how long did we patiently (or impatiently) wait for an iPad 2 jailbreak. How much easier could jailbreaking a device be than visiting a website and pushing a button. I sure am glad Apple is "developing a fix that will be available to customers," though.

Soon it'll be back to the drawing board when iOS 5 comes out. iPhone users will likely not have to wait very long after iOS 5's release for a jailbreak, but iPad 2 users could be left out in the cold, cold world or jailbreaklessness for a long time again.

Enjoy it while you can people. Unless of course you choose to never update your firmware again or upgrade to iOS 5. In which case, more power to you.

Source: Associate Press
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 07-07-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Everyone with an iPad 2 better hurrry and jump on this while you can

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Interesting how Apple only discovers these exploits and security holes and tries to fix them only after the jailbreak community discovers them and uses them to our advantage. Silly Apple!

Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
    Everyone with an iPad 2 better hurrry and jump on this while you can
    What are you talking about? This isn't time sensitive. JailbreakMe.com will always work for 4.3.3, so it is not like once Apple releases 4.3.4 that JailbreakMe.com stops working on 4.3.3. The only time sensitive thing is backing up 4.3.3 SHSH blobs for restores or idiots the upgrade to 4.3.4 in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    What are you talking about? This isn't time sensitive. JailbreakMe.com will always work for 4.3.3, so it is not like once Apple releases 4.3.4 that JailbreakMe.com stops working on 4.3.3. The only time sensitive thing is backing up 4.3.3 SHSH blobs for restores or idiots the upgrade to 4.3.4 in the first place.

Not completely true in case of ipad 2 With 3G, when SHSH blobs are generated randomly each time the firmware upgrade is done

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixus View Post
    Not completely true in case of ipad 2 With 3G, when SHSH blobs are generated randomly each time the firmware upgrade is done
    What...!!!!
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    What...!!!!
    See SHSH restores to end?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can't wait to get home and pull the trigger....but I think frash won't work.

I really didn't see this coming...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It was inevitable...

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Actually it is time sensitive for those without an iPad. If they're planing to buy an iPad, they better do it fast because otherwise it will come with a stock iOS firmware that will make jailbreakme.com useless.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

What I don't understand is how Apple can let this one slip by to begin with considering it was virtually the same exploit used in 4.0.

better save my ssh... freaking apple.freak u through hell

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    What I don't understand is how Apple can let this one slip by to begin with considering it was virtually the same exploit used in 4.0.
    It's not the same. And Apple doesn't want a security flaw left in the system.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

unless there is a way for my Good Enterprise to work while jailbroken, I am unfortunately not going to jailbreak my iPad 2, my iPhone 4 however will always be jailbroken (just for MyWi) but very useful and needed....

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is always a day late and dollar short. I just can't believe they found another PDF exploit.

Worked on my 1st Gen iPad. Had to do a fresh restore though. I updated normally and it would not jailbreak, probably because i was already JB on 4.2.1. All is good now, great job everyone involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    It's not the same. And Apple doesn't want a security flaw left in the system.
    Yeah...I figured they weren't exactly the same, but they are both PDF exploits that are executed within mobile safari. To me, that's close enough to being the same that it surprised me that Apple let this one slip by them.

Is the author of this news post completely oblivious? If it can be used to execute a Jailbreak, it can be used to execute a virus just the same. That's EXACTLY why they said to install the PDF exploit patch as soon as you JB. If Apple doesn't fix it ASAP, EVERY SINGLE DEVICE is at risk from malicious websites. All someone has to do is setup a router called "attwifi" and capture any URL to pwn hundreds of phones.

i will not update my ipad.

no big deal. im just glad there's now a JB for ipad2. i'll just stay at 4.3.3 until there is another JB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast