+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Big Surprise, Apple Plans to Fix JailbreakMe PDF Exploit in Next iOS Update

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

bad move form hackers. Didnīt they expect this coming?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Yeah...I figured they weren't exactly the same, but they are both PDF exploits that are executed within mobile safari. To me, that's close enough to being the same that it surprised me that Apple let this one slip by them.
    PDF has many, many issues and always has. I am sure there are several more with it that nobody has mentioned or found yet. Actually all sorts of software is this way too. Only way Apple to stop it in your logic would be to not allow safari to make PDF files viewable within Safari.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

AUZambo (07-08-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So they will release an update that does nothing but kill the vulnerability and maybe add an upcoming feature to persuade people to go for it.... Bfd doesn't mean you have to update.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Question - if Apple patches it with a software fix, why cant the hole be reopened by undoing their patch provided you have your Shsh? I have no idea what is involved. Just curious. Perhaps a jailbreak that uses a new iOS 5.0 Firmware but reopens the hole while updating?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

#1 Typical Apple
    #2 I am still running 4.1 on my IPT 4G and I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanks

lol apple talks about it like its a virus

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Everyone spread the word to your fellow iPhone users! Tell them dont upgrade and jailbreak! Just spread the news is all you can do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Shocker.

Green Apple
    Thanks

already done it!
    Works great!
    But I won't be needing a new IOS until
    the next jailbreak it available.
    darn
    so much thing i can put on it.
    thnx for all guys!

now only if they can turn the ipad 2 with dialing capabilities like the iphone.
    i mean real calling

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixus View Post
    Not completely true in case of ipad 2 With 3G, when SHSH blobs are generated randomly each time the firmware upgrade is done
    So with the iPad 2 once apple stops signing 4.3.3 we can't restore even though the SHSH blobs are saved?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    It's not the same. And Apple doesn't want a security flaw left in the system.
    Semi

It was patched, just not properly.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 07-08-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SsputniikK View Post
    I'm gonna disagree and say it was a great move. iPad 2 users have been waiting forever for their jailbreak. Comex (the hacker) knew this and therefore released the jailbreak as quickly as he could before it was patched up.

Keep in mind that Apple is also looking for vulnerabilities and there is a chance that they would have patched it anyway with a 4.3.4 release. This jailbreak will ALWAYS work with 4.3.3...so I don't see any problems with releasing it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

It's funny how Apple are trying to look like they still give a **** about jailbreakers

Exploit found > Patch it with an update

Really Apple, just stop half arsing it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Add the new iPhone (5/4s) buyers to the cold cold outside.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I now that there was no 4.3.3 jailbreak for iPad 2 but since it's a hole in EVERY iDevice why in the world could it not wait till iOS5?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I now that there was no 4.3.3 jailbreak for iPad 2 but since it's a hole in EVERY iDevice why in the world could it not wait till iOS5?
    That's their reason for justification.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Apple why don't you guys just leave us to hell alone. Its because of comex and other dev team members that I* contunue to buy* your wonderful products with your lame azz restrictions.* I repeat please apple leave us the f*** alone .* It is because of the recent jailbreak that I am taking back of samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and not an ipad 2.* Apple you really do need to get your sh** together and leave us jailbreakers alone or start giving us, the consumer some flexibility and options.* I get so frikin tired or starring at a plan screen with square azz icons on it. It is because of the jailbreak community that you continue to have customers like me.* That is all for now.* Sorry just had to vent.

Thanks

It is already done... I just updated my iPhone 4 to iOS4.3.3 and Jailbreakme starts installing Cydia and then aborts the installation. Tried several times on 3G and Wifi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    PDF has many, many issues and always has. I am sure there are several more with it that nobody has mentioned or found yet. Actually all sorts of software is this way too. Only way Apple to stop it in your logic would be to not allow safari to make PDF files viewable within Safari.
    Thank you. I didn't know that....obviously.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I'm gonna disagree and say it was a great move. iPad 2 users have been waiting forever for their jailbreak. Comex (the hacker) knew this and therefore released the jailbreak as quickly as he could before it was patched up.

Keep in mind that Apple is also looking for vulnerabilities and there is a chance that they would have patched it anyway with a 4.3.4 release. This jailbreak will ALWAYS work with 4.3.3...so I don't see any problems with releasing it.
    I'm gonna disagree with you and agree with SSputniikk on details.

Comex (a hacker) identified the security flaw some time ago, and was trying to keep it under wraps for as long as possible- so that when released it would benefit the greatest number of users and machines and software combinations.

A jerk (whom I won't name, but who is allegedly also A Hacker) either independently discovered the same exploit, or more likely, heard about it from Comex and other JB developers. He thought it was awesome cool, so released it almost immediately, despite the usual warnings from other, wiser devs. He chatted with Comex too, but decided that he was still way awesomer and cooler than Comex, so he released full details of the exploit anyway.

Comex then, hacked up a JB kit (in discussion with other developers) and released jailbreakme.com v3 ASAP, so iPad/iPhone/iPod users (but mostly iPad, and mostly iPad v2) could get some use out of the flaw before Apple patched it.

Quote Originally Posted by SsputniikK View Post
    Comex made the best move he could, under the circumstances. But the ones who forced his hand were pretty boneheaded. And no, they don't typically expect it coming, or much care if it does.