+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spotify Announces Long Awaited US Arrival

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Spotify Announces Long Awaited US Arrival

Way back on October 8th, 2010, my colleague Wiley picked up on sources reporting from Europe that Spotify - the hugely popular online music service - was inching ever closer to finally launching in the US, a development that would put the streaming service in head-to-head competition with Apple's iTunes.

Nine months later, this "imminent" arrival has finally taken place - or at least, it's forthcoming arrival has now been confirmed at long last. On Wednesday, Spotify formally announced its pending arrival in the United States. As part of the announcement, Spotify began asking interested potential users to sign up for notifications so that they may become the first US residents to try out the once European-exclusive service.

"The award-winning music service that’s taken Europe by storm will soon be landing on US shores," Spotify announced on its website today. "Millions of tracks ready to play instantly, on your computer and your phone."

What isn’t known at this time, however, is how Spotify may charge users for expanded use of the service in the states. Currently in Europe, users can get the service for free (that is, if they're willing to endure accompanying ads and a strict limit of ten hours per month). If and how this structure will change in the US remains a big, burning question - but one that will all but certainly be answered soon.

Of course, since Spotify is using the word “free” to advertise the music service’s launch, we can safely deduce that there will be at least one “free” option that comes with Spotify's long-awaited North American debut.

To sign up for an email notification of Spotify’s US arrival, click here.

Source: Spotify

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why was this article posted twice?

Why was this article posted twice?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

^everyone knows that there have been double posts since the re-vamp of MMi. No need to point it out. Your post has no relation to the article.

How much does this service cost i wonder?

Lid
    Thanks

Congrats, fellow americans! Spotify is awesome!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Europeans have distinctly different expectations from their streaming services than their American counterparts. This difference largely stems from the high cost of data services in Europe compared to the US. Competition is also more fierce in the United States and frankly the Spotify name doesn't much weight in the US. Spotify will have to distinguish itself from competing services in the US via low price, vast content stores, and features users want. Personalized radio service providers such as Pandora and the like offer free services in the US and aren't limited to 10 hours a month (which no one stateside will stand for). Additionally Spotify premium is about $15 / month in Europe and that's about $15 / month higher than most Americans are willing to pay (hence why subscription services aren't that popular out here). Spotify will need to remove the 10 hour monthly limitation to succeed in the US, but if they do I can see the service taking off quite successfully. Totally free, but ad supported, unlimited streaming service is what is necessary to carve out a large part of the digital music market. Of course none of this applies to Apple who, with the launch of their iCloud matching service, is capable of extracting vast sums of money from its users just for the privilege of streaming music they already own.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    ^everyone knows that there have been double posts since the re-vamp of MMi. No need to point it out. Your post has no relation to the article.
    Is that why the post times are 6 minutes apart?

There's no need for alot of posts and even articles for that matter that go on on MMi, but they still happen. Deal with it. I'm not pointing anything out.....I'm asking a question....there IS a difference.

Thanks

Sounds like Spotify is a Grooveshark like music provider. Is that right, or is it more like Pandora where you don't get to choose the songs?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Sounds like Spotify is a Grooveshark like music provider. Is that right, or is it more like Pandora where you don't get to choose the songs?
    I'm pretty sure it is like Grooveshark - but maybe with more free features.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x