+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple FaceTime Gets Video Chat Competition from Facebook's Integration with Skype

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple FaceTime Gets Video Chat Competition from Facebook's Integration with Skype

Last week, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg promised an "awesome" announcement Wednesday. And what was promised was delivered just over an hour ago at the company's Palo Alto, California headquarters.

As the world learned this afternoon, social networking giant Facebook is integrating with Skype to facilitate video calls through the Facebook platform. Although there is some confusion across the blogosphere as to whether the new feature can be used n iDevices, Zuckerberg said that - at least for now - Skype video chat through Facebook is a "web-only feature." So until further notice, don't look for the "call" button within Facebook's iPhone application.

"The video calling is so great and it's so easy," said Zuckerberg, who also confirmed today that Facebook now has more than 750 million registered users. "Your least-technical friend is going to be able to get online with video chat and get connected," Zuckberg says of the new feature. "You'll connect with your friends on the social network that already has all your friends."

Although some are already calling the new Facebook video chat feature a direct competitor to Apple's Facetime, no one is exactly articulating how this comparison makes sense, particularly since iDevices presently won't support the new Facebook feature. Simply put, if you want to engage in a video call on your iPhone 4, Facetime is still the way to go, as there is no Facebook option to compete with at this juncture.

So how does the new Facebook video chat feature work? In the future, when you check out a friend’s profile, there will be a new button located between the ‘Message’ and ‘Poke’ buttons. The added button says ‘Call.’ Once you click the button, the friend will receive a popup message asking whether they want to accept or decline the call. If they accept, you will be immediately connected for a video chat.

Best of all, Facebook has integrated with Skype in a way that doesn't place onerous set-up or installation burdens on Facebook users. All it takes to use the new service is a small plugin (which installs within seconds.) You don't even need a Skype account to enjoy the video chat functionality now provided by Facebook.

Source: Facebook

Thanks

Why video chat when I can just hangout with them in person?
    Pointless -__-
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Pointless -__-
    Hmmmmm, perhaps for when you can't hangout with them in person, maybe? Family and friends in different parts of the world...maybe?? Geez.
    El Zurdo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 811 Posts

Pointless -__-
    Texting was created so we didn't have to talk to any of our friends in person and video chat was created so we didn't have to see any of our friends in person. Who needs friends when we have technology?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Hmmmmm, perhaps for when you can't hangout with them in person, maybe? Family and friends in different parts of the world...maybe?? Geez.
    Well that's my opinion and I don't make friends that live around the world; just locally. Geez

Quote Originally Posted by toyvan View Post
    Texting was created so we didn't have to talk to any of our friends in person and video chat was created so we didn't have to see any of our friends in person. Who needs friends when we have technology?!
    I semi-agree with you but from my prospective, I text only when I'm unable to hang out with that person or after/before we've hung out.
    Last edited by jose060789; 07-06-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

Facebook bringing FaceTime competition? It's freaking Skype integrated wheres the competition at? If there were any competition it would have already been discussed considering Skype has been available for quite some time now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well that's my opinion and I don't make friends that live around the world; just locally. Geez
    Well your "opinion" is very egocentric. It's not pointless to have a function where maybe over half to world can benefit through this feature.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I semi-agree with you but from my prospective, I text only when I'm unable to hang out with that person or after/before we've hung out.
    well some people move, geez.... dagon..if you dont wanna use it dont use it! Millions will be using the feature. If I just came back from a movie with a friend and we went to our homes but we wanna video chat, we will video chat! "oh hey your cousin just came over from iraq? put him on skype, it would be nice to see him since he is just passing by!"

Just because you see no use for it doesnt mean the whole world feels the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Subtenko View Post
    well some people move, geez.... dagon..if you dont wanna use it dont use it! Millions will be using the feature. If I just came back from a movie with a friend and we went to our homes but we wanna video chat, we will video chat! "oh hey your cousin just came over from iraq? put him on skype, it would be nice to see him since he is just passing by!"

Just because you see no use for it doesnt mean the whole world feels the same.
    I'm not saying other people aren't going to benefit out of it, just my opinion like I mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviatorz View Post
    Well your "opinion" is very egocentric. It's not pointless to have a function where maybe over half to world can benefit through this feature.
    Well it is to me.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As long as the damn service works on my phone I don't care if these two companies duke it out.

Moving on now..........

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

Geez guys comeon? We should have damn cameras in our toilets too for skype, hate that a, cant use
    skype while on the toilet....whats up with that a? This is the technology should be heading....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Pointless -__-
    what a senseless statement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    what a senseless statement.
    Senseless? Well I'm sorry I have a life and I prefer hanging out with my friends in person 0_o
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Senseless? Well I'm sorry I have a life and I prefer hanging out with my friends in person 0_o
    Believe it or not, sometimes those friends you know and love locally move away for whatever reason and being able to video chat can be nice. Or maybe you just instantly stop being friends with them....up to you I suppose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Believe it or not, sometimes those friends you know and love locally move away for whatever reason and being able to video chat can be nice. Or maybe you just instantly stop being friends with them....up to you I suppose.
    I suppose you have a valid point there.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple needs to add flash and also need to have video chat with gmail