Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Has Fun With Numbers

Default Google Has Fun With Numbers

Google may not have won a share of Nortel's patent library last week, but they probably had the most fun placing bids during the auction.

Google, following their initial stalking horse bid, put forth the following bids of:
    • $1,902,160,540
    • $2,614,972,128
    • $3.14159 billion

For the blessed few out there smart enough understand the two numbers before the Pi reference, Google used Brun's constant, and Meisel-Mertens constant as bids. Obviously these mathematical numerals were scaled up into the billions, but it is a little concerning for Android developers that Google was bidding almost carelessly on possibly the most valuable set of patents in the telecom industry.

I'm not sure exactly why Google would do this, Reuters is reporting sources said "Either they were supremely confident or they were bored." I'm going to go with confident. But, that confidence let them get outbid by a consortium with much more standing cash to spend than Google. The result, Google loses out on a collection patents that could have positioned them in a seat of power in the mobile computing and communications world. Also, they look like grade-A bags of douche.

Source: Reuters

I'm disappointed with the lack of euler's constant. Maybe it's time for me to mail in my gmail subscription.

Pun intended.

Why the Google hate Phillip? Very un-professional.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Also, they look like grade-A bags of douche.
    Bravo! Your writing gets better and better with each article.

Google were willing to spend over $3 Billion for the patents and not share them and apparently also decided to make their bids quirky. Get over it Phil.

Instead these patents will be years getting resolved between the "consortium" and very little progress will be made with the tech behind the patents.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 07-04-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Although I believe that he is correct in his statement that (using a mathematical equation that results in variances In the billions to bid on THE most profitable patents, seemingly carelessly and not in all seriousness) makes Google look like d-bags, does it make me think that google are D-bags in general? No.

Everyone is guilty of d-baggery SOMETIMES, but it's what they do the other 95% of the time that speaks tenament to what they represent as a whole. I for one like the refreshing honesty Phil, keep em comin.
    Last edited by la7eralus; 07-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Great, leave it to Phil to bash on Google. Your probably the worst "writer" on mmi. Im sure Google was just having fun. The other companies had no choice but to combine their money in order to outbid Google. It's the same with Skype, look how much money Microsoft had to pay so Google wouldn't get it which i don't think they really needed it since they have their own service. Now we will see the companies fighting over which one gets which patent. Google just likes to have fun, like they do here lol Google Maps, search for directions between "Taiwan" and "China" and see the 23rd step xD

Well I think Google are smart, because they put a bid in as not to look like they don't completely care to the investors and such but at the same time they aren't relying on the innovation of another company but on their own innovation. I mean they've come this far on their own to be one of the world leaders of communication technology, so why buy some other companies patents that are now bankrupt and waste 3billion in coin when that would buy tonnes of R&D in tech that won't take 10 years to actually surface and by that time be obsolete!

Just my 2c.

Great story Phil that was quirky of google to bid that way

Google had a maximum spending money of $3.5bn for the bid, the final bid was $4.2bn, now I don't think it would of mattered if they bid $3.14159bn or $3.5bn as they were outbid either way.

Dude, you're an idiot. Period.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Because Google sucks balls & wieners!

Why the Phillip hate Spaz?

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Great, leave it to Phil to bash on Google. Your probably the worst "writer" on mmi.
    Really? I think Phil is one if the best writers on the site. I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt your feelings and make you cry. Grow up and quit taking these things to heart, It's very childish of you to insult another person like that.
    Remember everybody, don't speak Ill of Google! If you do, it might upset Painkiller and get you insulted.
    Last edited by SwatPac; 07-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    When Is The Apple iCar Coming Out? I Want One!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    Because Google sucks balls & wieners!

Really? I think Phil is one if the best writers on the site. I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt your feelings and make you cry. Grow up and quit taking these things to heart, It's very childish of you to insult another person like that.
    Remember everybody, don't speak Ill of Google! If you do, it might upset Painkiller and get you insulted.
    There are far more better writers then this guy, like Joshua Tucker and others are better at writting the news than him. If anyone is acting childish here is you. Maybe you should take take your own advice and Grow up and quit taking these things to heart, It's childish of you to insult another person like that But hey, we all know your not capable of comprehending this so why don't you ask Philip to write an article so he can explain it to you... oh and make sure he uses the word Google so i can read it and reply to it

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    There are far more better writers then this guy, like Joshua Tucker and others are better at writting the news than him. If anyone is acting childish here is you. Maybe you should take take your own advice and Grow up and quit taking these things to heart, It's childish of you to insult another person like that But hey, we all know your not capable of comprehending this so why don't you ask Philip to write an article so he can explain it to you... oh and make sure he uses the word Google so i can read it and reply to it
    Unless you could do a better job being a MMi staff writer I suggest you calm down...although I doubt you could do a better job considering you used the words "more better" in your first sentence. Although I like Google as a whole, it was arrogant of them to make nonsensical bids as if acquiring the Nortel patents was trivial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ztphonehome View Post
    Unless you could do a better job being a MMi staff writer I suggest you calm down...although I doubt you could do a better job considering you used the words "more better" in your first sentence. Although I like Google as a whole, it was arrogant of them to make nonsensical bids as if acquiring the Nortel patents was trivial.
    Seeing how easy it is I think I could, all I gotta do is praise Apple and I'm in right? Writers should keeps their own opinions to themselves and not bash on another company for not being serious on the bids.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

Also, they look like grade-A bags of douche.

Exactly what I thought when I heard. One day Google is going to start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Own3d View Post
    Dude, you're an idiot. Period.
    So i'm an idiot because I pointed out that it is unprofessional to include personal feelings in a news article, also saying "Also, they look like grade-A bags of douche" doesn't add anything to the article so why bother including it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac
    I don't hate Phillip, I said nothing to that nature.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

What possible benefit to the article could have been hopes for by adding that last sentence to the article?

If we can't say something towards another member of the site, then I see no reason such a comment should be included in a news article written by a staff writer.

Don't like what Phil writes? Then don't read it. Check out who wrote a story, if Phils name is on it move on. You guys are treating MMI like it's the WSJ or NYT..... really? GIve it a rest and move on with your life.

Any time you write a story and can throw the word douche in, I'm all for it. ^^^^^ Google is not a member of MMI so.......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
    Last edited by rkswat; 07-05-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Don't like what Phil writes? Then don't read it. Check out who wrote a story, if Phils name is on it move on. You guys are treating MMI like it's the WSJ or NYT..... really? GIve it a rest and move on with your life.

Any time you write a story and can throw the word douche in, I'm all for it. ^^^^^ Google is not a member of MMI so.......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
    You make it sound as if we have called for his head. We are just as in the right to comment on things we disagree with as you are to comment in support of him.

I should not have to censor what articles I read on this site based upon who wrote it. These are to be informative articles rather than OpEd pieces and therefore we should not be subjected to such nonsense as calling a multibillion dollar company "a bag of douche."

At least Messany has class in his ten million Verizon articles.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

It was simply to drive the prices of the bids up and annoy their competitors. Big companies do this in auctions all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast