Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Asian Supply Chain Hints at Major iPhone, iPad Refreshes in October

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Asian Supply Chain Hints at Major iPhone, iPad Refreshes in October

Major news out of the Asian supply chain this morning. Trusted Taiwanese news source DigiTimes is reporting major developments in the iDevice world for September and October. Based on "industry chatter," DigiTimes is calling for both a third-generation iPad and fifth-generation iPhone this fall.

According to the article in question, both devices will "debut in small quantities" in September and in large volume in DOctober. Apple's iPad 3 should be “even thinner and lighter." Sources say panel resolution will spike to 250dpi. Few other details are known about what additional features a 3rd generation iPad would sport.

The supply chain is knocking down another long-standing rumor that Apple will release more than one version of the iPhone 5 this September. DigiTimes says there won't be two or more phones after all. Sources, however, pointed out that the iPhone 5's supply volume is "estimated to be around 6-7 million units in the third quarter and with the addition of iPhone 4 shipments, total iPhone shipments in the quarter will reach 24-25 million units with volumes to maintain at the same level in the fourth quarter."

Since Apple is also set to start supplying iPad 3 in August, the shipments of iPad series products including iPad 2 are expected to surpass 15 million units, and iPad's supply volume for 2011 will have a good chance to break 40 million units.
    If accurate (about the iPad 3 rumor, that is), this development will directly fly in the face of conflicting reports which suggested - quite convincingly - that the iPad 2 would be Apple's only tablet release this year.

Source: DigiTimes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just bought my iPad 2 3 weeks ago, they better not release a new one!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gameviper For This Useful Post:

apwtwenty (07-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameviper View Post
    Yeah, I think it would be kinda dumb for Apple to release a new iPad so soon. It would surely upset pretty much every iPad 2 owner out there I'd imagine

If they release ipad3 this fall i am returning my ipad2

Quote Originally Posted by frejes32 View Post
    Yeah, I think it would be kinda dumb for Apple to release a new iPad so soon. It would surely upset pretty much every iPad 2 owner out there I'd imagine
    I just got mine last week!

I understand the need to release something new every year, but come on Apple, at least give the buyers a full YEAR before shoving new tech in their faces and calling them obsolete. I LOVE my iPhone (of which I also just got on verizon), and my new iPad but if they intend on releasing new hardware every 6 months, it's just too much IMO.

yep i will b upset fo sho

Seriously, when people write this stuff up, do they not think logically on things. What business sense do it make for Apple to spend all that R&D $$ on iPad 2, tie up FoxConn's resources, marketing $$, and confusing/angering their customer over rushing another model out?

Yes, an iPad 3 would be nice with more upgrades, but there would be so much public out lash over it and I could see it biting Apple in the ***. "I just bought this iPad 2 and now 6 months later, they give me an iPad 3 with a better screen....pass, I'll wait for the iPad 4"

iPhone 4s/5 is a def.

iPad 2HD higher resolution and better cameras. Same processors and everything. Easy change add 100 to the regular version of the iPad 2. Make people sell the ipad2 just for another toy.

All I'm saying is that the new iPhone model better be at least 4.3 inches screen wise; 4.5 inches would be nice too.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

What will happen first, iPad 2 jailbreak or the release of the iPad 3? Personally I'm about to go back to the iPad 1.

Because they can....

Apple's created a culture within the High Tech Industry. People will Moan-Grown-Complain all the way to the Cash Register...

Banned
    Thanks

Of course they're gonna release one....what did you expect? the ipad 2 was DOA when it was released. apple is now playing catch-up, get used to it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHavok View Post
    Seriously, when people write this stuff up, do they not think logically on things.
    No, no they don't. But that's how certain people role.
    While Apple's desktops and laptops get usually refreshed every 7-9 months, it's still really once a year that they get significant upgrades.
    The entire iPod range (apart from the Classic) get's one annual update (in September), iPhone's have gotten the one annual update, and the iPad got it's first update a year (technically 11 months) after it's initial launch.

For someone who is supposed to be fairly educated on Apple to bother reporting on rumors of an iPad 3 for October is silly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    If they release ipad3 this fall i am returning my ipad2
    Do it within 14 days of purchase, I have returned mine to apple store and now waiting for IPad 3 with higher resolution and better cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    What will happen first, iPad 2 jailbreak or the release of the iPad 3? Personally I'm about to go back to the iPad 1.
    Though IPad 2 has no jailbreak yet, it is still way better than IPad 1, I would stay with IPad 2 , if i were you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 07-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    No, no they don't. But that's how certain people role.
    While Apple's desktops and laptops get usually refreshed every 7-9 months, it's still really once a year that they get significant upgrades.
    The entire iPod range (apart from the Classic) get's one annual update (in September), iPhone's have gotten the one annual update, and the iPad got it's first update a year (technically 11 months) after it's initial launch.
    For someone who is supposed to be fairly educated on Apple to bother reporting on rumors of an iPad 3 for October is silly

Articles get duplicated
    Comments dont show
    The UI is horrible and broken

Just some of the "new" features of a redesigned Modmyi.com and reasons why reader activity is dropping faster each day.
    I agree with you on the comments not showing. I have to click view original post to see all these comments otherwise only 1 out of 12 was showing. WTH MMi?

Why is anyone surprised?
    The headline in the Sunday Times article the Sunday after the iPad 2 was released was "It’s sleeker, faster, better – the istopgap" before going on to explain why they believed the iPad3 would be released in the Autumn.
    If the national press (at least in the UK) can write about it then how come anyone with even a vague interest in the iPad can say this comes as a surprise?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

illinibball4232 (07-03-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Stupid, how does a new one remove the fuctionality of the one you have? Oh I see you don't use it, just carry it around to show how cool you are.

Thanks

I think an October release makes all kinds of sense, personally. Do I think it'll happen? Probably not (for both an iPhone and an iPad at least). iPhone by itself, sure. iPad? Dicey but doable.

An iPad with the same SoC and maybe a bit more RAM, LTE capability (by October VZW in the US will have quite the rollout, and AT&T may have started the public release by then; plus other networks like NTT, TeliaSonera, etc. have LTE ready too), higher-rez screen? That's doable enough from an R&D standpoint (only thing that'd have to really change is the baseband tech, since the GPU is easily capable and most of the images are baked into the OS already). The fabrication process wouldn't change too much, it'd just be a new LCD and baseband daughterboard.

Since Apple's most recent product refreshes have been all about the "higher rez," I find the idea of the current iPad 2 holding out for a year nuts. Six months, now that's more believable. Customers won't backlash, they'll embrace just in time for the holidays.

"iPad 3 should be “even thinner and lighter." "

bloody hell, not thicker and heavier

Thanks

LMAO@ This new iPhone 5...a.k.a...4(S).I'm going to LMAO! When these people get their hands on it. Will I b one of those idiots? No cause I know when Apple releases a New Phone there's some ALWAYS...something different then the last Model. Hence why the iPhone5 is RELLY an iPhone4(S) Type. As for the iPad 3, unless it comes with a Better Cam n 4G capabilities.IF...NEITHER...have it, then they are useless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast