+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sources Say Apple May Introduce Connected TVs This Fall

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In February, we covered Piper Jaffray's bold speculation that Apple may finally be gearing up to introduce an entirely new product as soon as 2012. Piper analyst Gene Munster proposed
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Sources Say Apple May Introduce Connected TVs This Fall

In February, we covered Piper Jaffray's bold speculation that Apple may finally be gearing up to introduce an entirely new product as soon as 2012. Piper analyst Gene Munster proposed that Apple would use a sizable chunk of its component investments to develop large screen displays, probably for a connected Apple television set of at least 50-inches.

"While Apple's commitment to the living room remains a 'hobby,' we continue to believe the company will enter the TV market with a full focus, as an all-in-one Apple television could move the needle when connected TVs proliferate," Munster said in February. Within weeks, curious job postings at Apple began surfacing that hinted at large display screen development - more fuel for this rumor's fire.

Just today, Daily Tech reported that Apple is said to be partnering with a major OEM to sell iOS-powered, Apple-branded displays as soon as this fall. An unnamed former Apple executive, speaking on a condition of anonymity, revealed that Apple's "biggest upcoming product launch will be one that hasn't been made official yet -- Apple has plans to enter the TV business."

According to source Apple plans to "blow Netflix and all those other guys away" by bundling Apple TV + iTunes inside physical television sets. According to the source Apple is teaming up with a major supplier (our guess would be Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (SEO:005930)), to provide the physical televisions, which will be rebranded as Apple television sets.
    Although it presently sounds a little far-fetched to think that in a few months we can go into an Apple retail store and shop for a new flatscreen television, Gene Munster and others won't be the least bit surprised. Five months ago, Muster predicted that as many as 220 million flatscreen TVs will be sold next year alone, half of which are likely to be Internet-connected. If Munster's theories prove correct, Apple should have no problem making iOS-powered TVs a major hit in 2012.

Source: Daily Tech

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i hope its samsung because they really have the best f-ing picture!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't believe Apple TV can replace cable, if they can you can bet there will be a cap on streaming service by the ISP.
    Unless Apple gets MacIntosh this Apple TV will not replace sound system.
    Unlike Jobs I need my blueray.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

oh? is that so? I see a small problem in that math...
    42'' Vizio 1080p 240Hz LCD TV - $700
    PS3 - $250
    Sony 1200W Home Theater system & Receiver - $500
    Basic satellite (who on earth actually watches over 1200 channels!?!?) + special channels (ex. HBO) - $60 monthly
    TOTAL = $1450 + $60 monthly
    Now whats a better deal again?
    And Apple forgets that you also have to have broadband internet for the Apple TV...

Thanks

They better if they wanna catch up with Google TV. I think it's so cool and can't understand why it has taken this long for someone to do it, but I'm glad Google did it.

Thanks

I must admit I don't understand the US TV market.
    Here in the UK Apple could partner with Virgin and really take the market by storm. But I guess they are only interested in the US market, but it really doesn't seem to make sense. I guess I am missing something!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    ...But I guess they are only interested in the US market, but it really doesn't seem to make sense. I guess I am missing something!
    The US market is the easiest one to scr....w with and the easiest one to charge the most and deliver the least.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    The US market is the easiest one to scr....w with and the easiest one to charge the most and deliver the least.
    ---- !! iPhones: 95% computer, 5% phone !! ----
    -- Unlimited means unlimited (*except for AT&T) --
    -- iDevice connected to anything (*tethering as redefined by AT&T)--
    AT&T + T-Mobile = GSM monopoly
    Unfortunately, Verizon is changing their unlimited plan as well so it is not *except for AT&T.
    I bet the rest of what AT&T is doing is going to apply to Verizon and soon Sprint as well.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe you missed my point. Not offering an unlimited plan is up to the carriers. I have no issues with that. Offering an unlimited plan but defining (or re-defining) the meaning of unlimited is my beef. Same with tethering. Tethering is a networking term that defines a NAT translation to another network connected device. AT&T's re-definition of tethering is completely different
    Last edited by Mes; 06-21-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

world domination

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    oh? is that so? I see a small problem in that math...
    42'' Vizio 1080p 240Hz LCD TV - $700
    PS3 - $250
    Sony 1200W Home Theater system & Receiver - $500
    Basic satellite (who on earth actually watches over 1200 channels!?!?) + special channels (ex. HBO) - $60 monthly
    TOTAL = $1450 + $60 monthly
    Now whats a better deal again?
    And Apple forgets that you also have to have broadband internet for the Apple TV...
    Also- some TVs are being sold for $500 or less- thats a heck of a lot less than what apple wants

and ALL TVS come with speakers

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    Also- some TVs are being sold for $500 or less- thats a heck of a lot less than what apple wants

yes but i'm a speaker junkie! lol, I love the bass

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post

No high-end TV will be that price. Apple is known for using high-end quality materials. If they're gonna do it, it's gonna be done right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    No high-end TV will be that price. Apple is known for using high-end quality materials. If they're gonna do it, it's gonna be done right.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. They might partner up with LG or Panasonic or maybe even Sharp since they bought out the rights of Pioneer. The Elites should be coming out late fall and wouldn't be surprise seeing Apple in them. Remember when you walk into an Apple Store all you see is B&W headphones and speakers which are one of the best sounding speakers in the world so why would Apple settle for less

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Replace my live cable feed? I don't think so
    Replace my xbox360 and ps3? good luck
    Replace my $600 yamaha hdmi receiver? keep dreaming
    Cables? monoprice.com has you beat by a mile.
    Blu Ray is dead everything is going to an ondemand service, I already store all my movies on my server and control what I want to watch when I want to watch it, in 1080P not 720P like apple is stuck on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    yes but i'm a speaker junkie! lol, I love the bass
    The apple tv probably has no bass, ou would have to pay $500 more for speakers for it...

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Idk what your definition of "high end" is but to me a 1080p 240hz 60000:1 dcr is pretty high up there... unless you want to spend 2k on a 3d tv... and thays another point I didn't think of earlier, why buy an apple tv when you get a 3d tv for 1,200-2,000. And I daresay that Vizio is one of the best tv manufacturer in the market right now, had this tv for 3 years now and its still going strong
    Last edited by coolguy742; 06-22-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Messany you really need to find an updated comparison pic.
    Still I'd take the left hand option. You're getting way way way more for your money.

Anywho, don't see this happening. I can see "AppleTV Certified" TV's with possibly AirPlay tech built in but the TV still made by Sony, Samsung etc. Like "Made for iPod" or deals done with Car manufacturers to integrate iPod/iPhone connectivity.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 06-22-2011 at 05:00 PM.