+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Gets The Nod to Bid on Nortel Patents

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Late Friday, sources informed the Wall Street Journal that Apple has officially joined the bidding party. The Cupertino firm will join Intel and Ericsson in a bidding dogfight with Google
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Gets The Nod to Bid on Nortel Patents

Late Friday, sources informed the Wall Street Journal that Apple has officially joined the bidding party. The Cupertino firm will join Intel and Ericsson in a bidding dogfight with Google to acquire a teeming lot of 6,000 patents from the telecom-equipment maker Nortel. As of now, Apple is a "qualified bidder."

Nortel's treasure chest of patents is believed to be worth an estimated $1 billion. Many analysts believe this bidding war will come down to an ugly battle between Apple and Google, as both tech giants look to shore up their posturing in the mobile technology space. "There has been one round of bidding on those patents, this has been completed," one source told Reuters last December. "And what Nortel has done is divide the patents up into different lots covering different kinds of technologies."

Nortel, whose remaining assets remain in bankruptcy proceedings, this week delayed the auction by seven days until June 27, citing a "significant level of interest" in the portfolio.
    The US Justice Department has been mighty particular and slow to move on bestowing clearance to bid on the patents. The feds are concerned, and some say rightfully so, that "the winning bidder could potentially abuse the patents to hobble rivals." Fortunately for Nortel, the increased interest in the patents will all but certainly result in a big eventual pay day.

For now, reps for Google, Intel, RIM, and Apple aren't talking or expressing any clues as to their respective level of interest in a slate of patents that span multiple facets of the mobile tech industry - Wi-Fi, social networking and, yes, even LTE. Consequently, the winning bidder could stand to benefit enormously from the patents in the coming years.

Source: WSJ

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What it takes to become a writer on this site nowadays:
    1. Wake up in the morning feeling like Pdiddy
    2. Log onto 9to5mac after brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack
    3. Copy and paste the first article you see on there
    4. Rinse and repeat

Honestly I don't see many good original articles from here (not starting a flame war just stating an opinion)

On side news, since Apple can apparently buy out RIM, HTC, etc I guess they can easily acquire these patents.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

They could shut out the other companies easily.

But it is the board members that will put a cap on there. So depending on the cap by the board and stock holders they could lose out.

But the amount of patents this bid is for then I would say at least put a nice bid in there.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd like to be in Nortels shoes right now. Whatever they owe after bankruptcy will be paid in full plus a LOT more. Between Google and Apple, I bet they get the bidding way past the "estimated $1billion value" of Nortel.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    what it takes to become a writer on this site nowadays:
    1. Wake up in the morning feeling like pdiddy
    2. Log onto 9to5mac after brushing your teeth with a bottle of jack
    4. Rinse and repeat

honestly i don't see many good original articles from here (not starting a flame war just stating an opinion)

on side news, since apple can apparently buy out rim, htc, etc i guess they can easily acquire these patents.
    lmao

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 14u2nv View Post
    I'd like to be in Nortels shoes right now. Whatever they owe after bankruptcy will be paid in full plus a LOT more. Between Google and Apple, I bet they get the bidding way past the "estimated $1billion value" of Nortel.
    Well Google has already submitted a 1st round bid of 900 million so what's another 2 or 3 hundred million to put them well over the 1 billion mark

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    What it takes to become a writer on this site nowadays:
    1. Wake up in the morning feeling like Pdiddy
    2. Log onto 9to5mac after brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack
    4. Rinse and repeat

Honestly I don't see many good original articles from here (not starting a flame war just stating an opinion)

On side news, since Apple can apparently buy out RIM, HTC, etc I guess they can easily acquire these patents.
    This is absolutely nothing new. If anything it's been better the last year because it doesn't take days for things to be reposted. I remember about two years ago anything posted here was at least 2-3 days after it had been everywhere else. It's fine though, this site mostly started as a forum, not a news site. Can't expect too much!