Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Has the Cash to Buy RIM, Nokia, Motorola, and The World At Large

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Now Has the Cash to Buy RIM, Nokia, Motorola, and The World At Large

Apple fans have been joking for some time that the company is bent on global domination. Well, it now looks like Apple has the cash to actually do it - or at least come close with regard to dominating the world of mobile phones. According to a new report published Friday, Apple is on track to have $70 billion in cash reserves before the end of this fiscal quarter.

Exactly how much can $70 billion buy you these days? If you're Apple, it can buy the likes of Nokia, Research in Motion, Motorola Mobility, HTC, and any number of other small rivals you can think of. Of course, this doesn't mean Apple will scoop up the competition, it simply means that it could.

Providing an analysis for Asymco, Horace Dediu writes: "As market values of phone vendors continue to decline, Apple's cash will continue to grow dramatically. Indeed, a time may soon come when Apple's cash will be worth more than the entire phone industry."

Meanwhile, the enterprise value of Apple's competitors has been shrinking. Four of them control 75% of the global cellphone market and have a total valuation of $66 billion:

* Nokia $22.6b
    * RIM $13.8b
    * HTC $25.4b
    * Motorola Mobility $4.2b
    Although there's no concrete evidence to suggest that Apple is poised to purchase a competitor, there's a growing consensus that RIM may be on Apple's radar. On Thursday, RIM announced what some analysts are calling "relatively dismal" first fiscal quarter revenues, which - despite being up 16% over the last quarter - is nowhere near the 113% growth Apple reported in its most recent quarter on the strength of iPad, and iPhone sales.

Source: CNN Money

Until their bubble pops and fall flat on their faces. But hey, its probably the only way they can come back on top, buy the competition and stop good innovation so they can continue to shove their crap on us.

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Until their bubble pops and fall flat on their faces. But hey, its probably the only way they can come back on top, buy the competition and stop good innovation so they can continue to shove their crap on us.
    I know! What crap! Why did I buy an iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and every iPhone made since 2007 as well as a MacBook!

Seriously, their products are far from crap and I will never understand the mentality of the people who think so.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Damn you Apple for shoving that iPhone 4 into my hand and making me pay AT&T $200 plus a 2yr contract!!!

Seriously. People have voluntarily given Apple $70B not the other way.

when these people that hate apple disappear i will know something is wrong with the world

there will always be the **** lovers and gold lovers…

Apple products speak for their selves
    iPhone is very good and Android is also good, but i haven't tried the Android yet, so my next phone will be an Android if Apple doesn't whip out something irreplaceable!

All that money then they give you a f****in gift card for the back to school special. Yeah yeah I know, they're not obligated but why cancel the free ipod touch promo if you have that much money???

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

buying RIM does nothing, you do not buy their customers.
    Buying more companies that makes the components so you can have stable supply chain, that is better investment.

they could pass some of there profits on to the end consumers?

if they where to buy up any one would'nt nokia be more prudent if that includes all the patents they've just had to start paying out for

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fosteradm33 View Post
    if they where to buy up any one would'nt nokia be more prudent if that includes all the patents they've just had to start paying out for
    Good point plus it would harm Microsoft at the same time since Nokia will be using Windows Phone OS almost exclusively on their hardware.

i wish they would buy HTC. htc phones running iOS? yes please

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    I know! What crap! Why did I buy an iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and every iPhone made since 2007 as well as a MacBook!

Seriously, their products are far from crap and I will never understand the mentality of the people who think so.
    Cause you like wasting money or your a big time Apple fanboy, thats why. Did you really need to buy an iPad 2 when you already had the 1st one? What about the iPhones...

Default I'm speechless.
    Im sorry for this everyone, however I just could not stop my fingers from typing a response to this incredibly ignorant post by this person. Will someone please point out anything that might show a resemblance of human intelligence in this. I'm gonna break all your crayons if you keep this up man.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    They just need a new, very low price point phone. That's the only reason these other companies are still around; the iPhone is expensive, and not everyone has a need for its features. A stripped down, very basic iPod Touch style phone would be perfect...especially if they can shrink it down a little more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago2006 View Post
    All that money then they give you a f****in gift card for the back to school special. Yeah yeah I know, they're not obligated but why cancel the free ipod touch promo if you have that much money???
    iPod's are being phased out. At least that type. You will still see things like the nano and shuffle but apple would rather see people buy an iphone as their all in one media device. This is what the sales are trending towards anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Every Apple puduct I have ever owned has just worked, no head aches or no bugs. Every blackberry phone I've used to date has given me a headache duh to problems and motorola is about the same. HTC makes great phones too. Can't say much about nokia

It wouldn't really work that way. Apple would just stop production of HTC phones and use HTC's resources for them (like patents, production partners and tech.) which could ultimately make a better iPhone
    Last edited by McMichael96; 06-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

^ talk about preaching to the wrong crowd.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So this guy trolls on an Apple website to complain about Apple products that he probably owns? Anyway, onto the intelligent conversation. While Apple COULD buy these companies with the cash they have, they probably wouldn't because they aren't known for spending vast amounts of cash to buy up another phone company since there are better ways to approach it. A. Buy Nortel and their patents, B. Buy Nokia's patent portfolio for less than actually buying Nokia, C. Use those 2 weapons to destroy Motorola and HTC(since RIM is already losing it anyway and I don't see them surviving the next 5 years without a spectacular new product or intervention from someone with loads of capital.)

Oh yeah that, and Apple products just seem to always last. Plus they have pretty good resale value. I just sold an iPod Nano 4GB 1st generation for $35. Not bad considering how far things have come.

Apple can only buy what one is willing to sell, they can't force another company to sell to them. It kinda sickens me that we as consumers are the ones who have made Apple so rich, buying products (in the mobile world anyways) that cost 5-6 times what they actually cost to build...no wonder they have 70B!

I need to start going to Costco and buying Lenox dishes and reselling them on eBay for 1K a kit!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Seriously dude? What an immature comment to make, hating just to hate, it's so lame, especially on an Apple forum site. If you don't like Apple then don't spend your money on them, it's a simple as that. No need to just bash on them cause you can.

Anyway, I doubt Apple will buy any of these companies, but if they do it'll be to make better products for their customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast