+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Loses Its Touch in This Year's Announced 'Back to School' Promotion

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
When it comes to Apple's freshly announced 2011 "Back to School" promotion, our friends in Cupertino have simply lost their 'touch.' And we mean that literally. Traditionally, Apple has offered
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Loses Its Touch in This Year's Announced 'Back to School' Promotion

When it comes to Apple's freshly announced 2011 "Back to School" promotion, our friends in Cupertino have simply lost their 'touch.' And we mean that literally. Traditionally, Apple has offered students a complementary iPod touch with the purchase of a new Mac during the company's annual summer long promotion. At least, the company used to do that.

These days, the Back to School promotion is delivering exactly what the rumor mill had forecast. This time around, students get a $100 Mac App Store gift card to go with the purchase of a qualifying Mac. Apple's promotional material puts it this way:

With the Mac App Store right on your Mac, you can find apps for studying, doing assignments, and getting organized. And, of course, for playing games. The best part? You can download them to your Mac and start using them right away.
    The promotion ropes in the entry-level MacBook, the MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air, and the iMac - all of which are specially priced for students. The deal spans June 16 through Sept. 20. And, according to Apple, students can get the gift card by first purchasing their new Mac via one of the following methods: through the online education store; an Apple retail outlet, an authorized campus store; or by calling 1-800-MY-Apple.

Apple says the $100 gift card will be delivered with all orders, except those purchased at a campus store. In that case, you'll have to subsequently complete an online claim form, which will subsequently provide a code for your free gift card.

Source: Apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is BS!.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks

WTF.....so now they took away the excitement of everyone thinking they'll get an ipod with a camera this year for facetime....As drka0tic said "This is BS! Greedy ba$tards." They just want money!!!! I so wish someone could come out with better stuff so i can say Fluck these loosers!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drka0tic View Post
    This is BS! Greedy ba$tards.
    I agree, especially because i got my first ipod touch through this program

Thanks

lame, i have seriously been on the fence about getting a mac. This just sealed the deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yeah that's a bit too ridiculous. One of the best iPod touch is out and it's not free with your $1000+ purchase of MacBook anymore. I just got this email actually and first thing I thought was "that's it for the back to school promotion this year?"

I mean I'd still buy a new MacBook Pro like I planned next year, it just sucks bc Apple is making itself less likable to some people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

This is insane! They are loaded with money, yet they seem to not want anyone buying their products anymore. Business usually gets better when companies do school deals, but $100 at the apple store is nothing. What can you buy with $100 at the apple store?

Thanks

As much as I agree with the fact that they are greedy, I think that at least part of this is due to them trying to promote that Mac App Store. Part as in probably 1%. What they should have done is an iPod Touch and a $50 gift card. That would really draw peoples attention.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Last year you could get £130 off an iPod Touch, yet this year you get half that amount to spend on SOFTWARE?!

What a joke.

Thanks

What this means, aside from "APPLE IS SO MEAN! :(" (you should have known that by now) isn't just 'bad news' for the fun of their back-to-school promotions, but potentially unsettling news for the IPT device series altogether.

Traditionally, each year they've released a new iPhone in spring, and a new IPT in the fall. It does seem they avoid releasing them both at the same time out of a strong to avoid the IPT stepping on the toes of its elder and favored sibling. The delay in the release of "next iPhone" plus the likely news that the "next" model will be a refreshed iPhone4 and not the anticipated iPhone5 suggests that the IPT probably won't see an update this fall at all; or if there is one that it will be tiny. (Possibly memory? CPU speedbump? I can't imagine anything more).

If fall is going to be the new "Release" for future iPhones, it's likely they won't be pushing new IPTs then (and won't have a burning need to dump old stock which used to fit in nicely with the "Back to School" promotion).

When then the next IPT? Spring? Or maybe, Fall of next year?

If Apple's in a giving mood (LOL @ that) it would be nice to see:
    better screen, more RAM, better camera.
    I think they could still swing some of this, while leaving plenty of room for the iPhone to be "more better". But with the current iPhone release schedule it does suggest that product enhancement for the device that's not their flagship is going to be sitting on the back burner for awhile....
    Last edited by raduga; 06-16-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks

Last year you got £130 off an iPod Touch, yet this year you only get half that to spend on SOFTWARE?!

What a joke.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

The mac app store is a fail. nobody likes it or uses it. it's just another way for apple to try to rake in money. and now theyre trying to promote it as well as being cheap and taking away the iPod touch apple is going to lose alot of customers this way. Even microsoft is giving away and XBOX 360 away with laptop purchases
    Last edited by iPod; 06-16-2011 at 10:45 AM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys think a bit out of the box. It has nothing to to with applr bring greedy! The back to school promotion has a 100% to do with marketing and not just apple being nice to students. They are not obliged to give us anything, the reduced price for macs is already good!
    Now that apple is gaining grounds in the computer industy especially in the junger/student community people are buying more and more macs and thus no need to "fish" their customers with a free idevice! If the mac sales are going up why should they still give away a product for free? Further more 100 bucks is still quite a bit to spend on the app store for a student like myself!
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

What's Jailbreak? JesseScottsdale's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they should have at least had a one or the other option... Even something that gives the consumer a choice depending on which product in the Mac family they purchase. (i.e - MacBook family gets "App store Gift card" or MacBook Pro family gets "iPod Touch or App store gift card") it just gives the consumer better choices... This promo is not that well thought out.

Thanks

You write that as if you thought they were some kind of charity.
    I'm pretty much a lefty-liberal but even I know that Apple is a profit-making corporation and they're going to do what comes naturally. Complaining about corporations doing everything they can to make a profit, is like complaining that a bird pooped on your car.

If they reformed their corporate charter as a non or not-for-profit, then I would be amazed.

Times are tight and they are cutting back and this must be one of the ways they are cutting back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I'm pretty much a lefty-liberal but even I know that Apple is a profit-making corporation and they're going to do what comes naturally. Complaining about corporations doing everything they can to make a profit, is like complaining that a bird pooped on your car.

If they reformed their corporate charter as a non or not-for-profit, then I would be amazed.

Times are tight and they are cutting back and this must be one of the ways they are cutting back.
    Ha apple cutting back... that amuses me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post

Times are tough. But when you spend 15 minutes of the WWDC bragging about how well you are doing and that world domination is right around the corner. You can not really use that as an excuse. Not that they did, you did.

Gift cards cost Apple less in the long run. Plain and simple. If you bought nothing but developer Apps they only have to pay out 70% and if you buy Apple apps, they really lose nothing. This is why they use gift cards.

So to reiterate some early post. The answer is easy.

They are GREEDY F_CKS. Not that that's a bad thing. You just can't make any of us believe time are tough for Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    Guys think a bit out of the box. It has nothing to to with applr bring greedy! The back to school promotion has a 100% to do with marketing and not just apple being nice to students. They are not obliged to give us anything, the reduced price for macs is already good!
    Blergh.
    I'll agree with you on everything else, but their academic discounts have always been pretty anemic.
    Ranging from ~3% - 5% on their "hot" items, to 10% on the also-rans and last year's models.

Shop around online and you can get a better deal for sure; if you're willing to wait a bit for the best intersection of sales and rebates.

Now that apple is gaining grounds in the computer industy especially in the junger/student community people are buying more and more macs and thus no need to "fish" their customers with a free idevice! If the mac sales are going up why should they still give away a product for free? Further more 100 bucks is still quite a bit to spend on the app store for a student like myself!
    Apple were never obliged to "give" us anything, but when they pretend they're being nice and generous it can help make the customers feel better. There's a strong correlation with customers being "happy" and their spending habits.
    But Apple's strategy has historically been: dazzle them with some kind of magic trick
    and when that fades, come up with a new trick and dazzle them some more.

Today we're seeing the ebb-tide between magic tricks. The old one was cool. The new one isn't really magic, and probably will piss off a few people but most of the ones who would be buying Apple anyway, will be buying Apple anyway. And the ones who won't, won't. With the cancelling of "Spring Fever" AND the iPhone 5 pushed back indefinitely, I was hoping for more magic tricks soon. But even if this seeming "flub" sours me a little more, it's unlikely to dramatically hurt their bottom line.

The tsunami/nukefest in Japan probably hurt their bottom line.
    I haven't heard any news from Shenzhen that really improves the outlook.

If increasing sales are nearing a ceiling, to improve profits they need to reduce costs.
    And costs these days, suck.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

They are just trying to promote the Mac App Store. In my opinion, a $100 gift card isn't so bad. With those $100 You could buy Lion, Angry Birds, Music, Movies and a whole bunch of other goodies. Although I know some people probably waited to buy, just so they can get an iPod Touch for $Free.99.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care too much about it. I mean do you really need an iPod for school. You guys just want free iPods lol. The purpose of the programs is to promote education, they are even telling you that there are many educational apps in the mac app store to download for SCHOOL.