Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Future iMac’s May Recharge iPhone Wirelessly According to New Patent

Hybrid View

Default Future iMac’s May Recharge iPhone Wirelessly According to New Patent

A newly discovered patent indicates that Apple is researching wireless charging technology for portable devices like the iPhone. The patent outlines a plan where a host computer such as an iMac, could charge a wireless device like an iPhone when placed within a one-meter radius of the computer.

The patent is titled, “Wireless Power Utilization In A Local Computing Environment” and goes on to describe “near field magnetic resonance (NFMR) power supply arranged to wirelessly provide power to any of a number of suitably configured devices.”

Over the last few years, Apple has slowly been phasing out the cable in favor of a more wireless working environment. Apple now ships new Macs with wireless keyboards and mice. With the release of iOS 5, Apple will usher in a whole new era of wireless syncing with iCloud. The only cable remaining to be cut, it would seem, is the power cable. This technology could also be used to power peripherals such as Apple’s wireless keyboards and mice.

If Apple continues to describe all new products as “Magical,” then how will they top themselves in the future? By introducing new iDevices that simply need to be in range of a desktop computer to recharge. That would certainly qualify as a magical feature to the majority of the world.

It’s important to remember, however, that Apple patents new technology all the time, and most of it never makes it out of the lab. Wireless recharging technology will most likely be a reality at some point in the future. Whether or not it’s Apple that brings it to the masses is anyone’s guess at the moment. Hopefully, by the time the iPhone 9 and iPad 7 are ready to go, wireless recharging technology will be the hot new feature that everyone will want to get their hands on.

Source: TUAW

well i think Nikola Tesla had that once wireless power

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zani1972 View Post
    well i think Nikola Tesla had that once wireless power
    Well, "wireless" charging is somewhat out there in the sense of induction charging, however if apple uses this technology, be sure that it'll be a huge hit, and everyone will follow suit.

Practical wireless power is one of the holy grails of technology. I'll welcome it anytime, but I'm not optimistic about seeing it in the near future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post
    Practical wireless power is one of the holy grails of technology. I'll welcome it anytime, but I'm not optimistic about seeing it in the near future.
    It's how every lamp in the house will be run one day. I thought about this years ago and whoever gets there first will be uber rich...
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas

WiTricity Corp. Home ? Wireless Electricity Delivered Over Distance

Can't wait for mass adoption of wireless power... of course we'll get it and then in 7 years the Swedish will tell us it's giving us all brain cancer...

I'd love to get rid of all cables! First network, next power... why can't we sync over BT or something else yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't think it'll take more than five years to appear, it could take more to be adopted by mass production of commum devices, but yesterday I saw something similar to this but it is related to the company that is creating this tecnology, source is a brazilian website where I use to download and check for news ( Nova tecnologia Wi-Fi dispensa o uso de baterias )

but you can check the article by google translator in here ( Google Translate )

Thanks
    Thanked 9,883 Times in 6,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by droop4 View Post
    Well, "wireless" charging is somewhat out there in the sense of induction charging, however if apple uses this technology, be sure that it'll be a huge hit, and everyone will follow suit.
    Totally agree.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wikid!!

Anyone up for some cancer?

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkengine View Post
    Anyone up for some cancer?
    I thought I was going to be the first one to post a "downer dinosaur" line about cancer, and wireless power. We also need to worry about stray wireless power signals manifesting in nearby metals (re: metal in the microwave) and starting fires.
    -FBIRyuJin

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    I thought I was going to be the first one to post a "downer dinosaur" line about cancer, and wireless power. We also need to worry about stray wireless power signals manifesting in nearby metals (re: metal in the microwave) and starting fires.
    wow, i didn't think that deeply into it but i was thinking about the possibility of getting an electric shock each time i pick up the phone or touch the magic track pad etc... loving the idea - say goodbye to batterys for the magic mouse!

This seems like a very cool new feature that Apple may be thinking of but something that comes into my mind is that how much radiation will be blasted at us as we use the iMac? This seems deadly to me... Just saying...

Thanks

What cancer is Apple also patent?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    LOL wtf.

It's already here apples not the first to talk about wireless charging search the net and you'll see it's been here for years it's just making it safe for the consumer so it dosnt shock you or fry any electronics in range.