Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Loses Top Retail Chief to JC Penny

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Loses Top Retail Chief to JC Penny

Although executives aren't exactly dropping like flies at Apple, the Cupertino, California-based tech giant has lost no shortage of top-shelf leaders in the last six months, the latest of which is Apple's chief of retail operations, Ron Johnson. It was announced Tuesday that Johnson will be leaving Apple to become the new CEO of JC Penney.

The loss for Apple, however, is profound, given that Johnson has served for the past 11 years as senior vice president of retail at Apple. In fact, Johnson was pivotal in helping Apple launch its retail platform. He was the architect of Apple's retail strategy - a strategy that has resulted in some 300 thriving Apple stores around the world. Prior to working at Apple, Johnson cut his retail teeth at Target, where he spent 15 years.

Apple hasn't yet commented on the loss, although JC Penney is already bragging about their major get - so much so that the company today issued a formal press release about Johnson's installment as CEO, effective Nov. 1 of this year.

"I've always dreamed of leading a major retail company as CEO," Johnson said in the release, "and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to help JC Penney re-imagine what I believe to be the single greatest opportunity in American retailing today, the Department Store. I have tremendous confidence in J. C. Penney's future and look forward to working with Mike Ullman, the Executive Board and the Company's 150,000 associates to transform the way America shops."

Although Johnson was never widely believed to be a contender for CEO of Apple should Steve Jobs ultimately step down, sources say some within Apple are taking this departure very hard, as Johnson is not only a close friend to many in Cupertino, he's also thought to be a "critical member" of the top executive slate.

Source: JC Penny
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 06-14-2011 at 09:21 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

JC Penny stock shot up 12% after news broke.

So JCP will be carrying iPads soon?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Well this almost sucks as much as this years back to school deal Apple is doing.....stupid iTunes card, I want the iPod Touch back!!

So you delete comments about the mis-spelling of JCPennEy, but don't bother to edit the article to fix them?

Internet journalism at its finest.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Well this almost sucks as much as this years back to school deal Apple is doing.....stupid iTunes card, I want the iPod Touch back!!
    free gift card? that's F'd in the A. I'd rather have a nano with a cracked screen than an iTunes gift card.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My Dad came home today telling me about this. He is a JCP Store Manager.

Hope he can give the Company a big face lift!

Quote Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
    So you delete comments about the mis-spelling of JCPennEy, but don't bother to edit the article to fix them?

Internet journalism at its finest.
    Weird.. or at "it's" finest as you'll often read around here. Very unprofessional.

That being said, looks like there's an opening in Apple execs.. only one thing to do. Bring back Sculley!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    free gift card? that's F'd in the A. I'd rather have a nano with a cracked screen than an iTunes gift card.
    Yeah, it's the worst!