+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Officially Bans DUI Checkpoint Apps

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
All the noise made earlier this year about a number of iOS apps that alert drivers to DUI checkpoints got Apple's attention. The apps are now explicitly banned by Apple.
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Officially Bans DUI Checkpoint Apps

All the noise made earlier this year about a number of iOS apps that alert drivers to DUI checkpoints got Apple's attention. The apps are now explicitly banned by Apple.

A change in the App Store Review Guidelines was spurred by a letter from four democratic U.S. senators addressing the issue. The senators specifically asked for the removal of apps that provide "a database of DUI checkpoints updated in real-time.

The change in the guidelines is in section 22.8 and reads as follows:

Apps which contain DUI checkpoints that are not published by law enforcement agencies, or encourage and enable drunk driving, will be rejected.
    It seems the new verbiage only applies to applications that only offer ways to highlight and avoid DUI checkpoints. Many of the Apps that offer information on DUI checkpoints also offer a ton of other information on red lights, speed cameras, accidents and other traffic information. It has yet to be seen what the fallout from this change will be for current applications in the App Store, whether they will be removed or must have the DUI information removed.

Source: PC World

Green Apple
    Thanks

i didn't even know these apps existed but whoever created them is kinda dumb

Thanks

Trapster is still available and it has a DUI checkpoint feature.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VBLUE42 For This Useful Post:

babyydaveyy (06-08-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are these fairly accurate? If so I might have to get it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transam7816 View Post
    Are these fairly accurate? If so I might have to get it
    nor sure but text it out just drive to a check point not drunk of course

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

How about not driving drunk at all? My family and I appreciates it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you are checking apps to find DUI checkpoints you aren't drunk. Stop trying to front.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Absolutely pointless. Anyone that is drunk isn't thinking clearly and therefore won't be checking their iphone DUI database in the first place.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

We still alive... I'm contacting Trapster admin for more information

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davshirley View Post
    Absolutely pointless. Anyone that is drunk isn't thinking clearly and therefore won't be checking their iphone DUI database in the first place.
    These apps are probably aimed at people who are tipsy / mildly drunk and not people who are completely smashed.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand this thing, they want to remove the DUI from these apps or ban them, but If somebody see a checkpoint and flash the lights of his car to advice the other drivers or call their friends by phone to tell them about the DUI or Live Police, is not the same thing or better?

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

So delete the app and add Road Block Registry Home Page as a shortcut to your home page instead. Problem solved.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

booo @ apple, you aren't big brother

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    We still alive... I'm contacting Trapster admin for more information
    let us know what they say

Banned
    Thanks

I thought the governments would be the ones wanting this sort of thing as they are the ones that need it.
    They are the ones that drink and drive and try to get away with it so the more help they get the better for them I thought?

Trapster is still the best traffic app there is. I get multiple alerts daily and I'm really happy with it. If it was a paid app I would pay for it but I'm even happier its free.
    I've been telling everyone about it so hopefully there are a few others that use it now.

Thanks

im surprised they were even allowed in the first place.

Thanks

these apps are useful for the hours before you're drunk, so you know which route home to take... that's how i use it. screw the government!

Thanks

Maybe people who haven't been drinking don't want to be subject to a DUI checkpoint either because privacy is a right. So is traveling. Anyone who claims driving should be a privilege is a complete moron. DUI checkpoints generate more revenue through other minor little tickets and offenses than catching actual drunk people. The police and law makers are NOT our authorities, I wish they would stop being called that. They are OUR [public] servants. They shouldn't even be getting paid for what they do, but they make more than any middle class person! Bad stuff is always going to happen. The government wants you to think they can stop all bad things from happening in life so you will fork over most of what you earn in the name of safety. The truth is that they can't protect you. It's not like they take your money and even try to protect you...they take your money, and take your rights, and all you brainwashed idiots feel safer for it. I don't understand how that can happen, but then again, my eyes aren't shut. Isn't being an adult about having to face reality, and that reality is full of bad stuff? I'm pretty sure that children have parents for that purpose, but then once the time is right, they are put into the world to face it. It seems these days parents over-coddle kids, and then once they are on their own they are further coddled by college (scam) and desk jobs...to work to pay their taxes and pay off their college, forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    Maybe people who haven't been drinking don't want to be subject to a DUI checkpoint either because privacy is a right. So is traveling. Anyone who claims driving should be a privilege is a complete moron. DUI checkpoints generate more revenue through other minor little tickets and offenses than catching actual drunk people. The police and law makers are NOT our authorities, I wish they would stop being called that. They are OUR [public] servants. They shouldn't even be getting paid for what they do, but they make more than any middle class person! Bad stuff is always going to happen. The government wants you to think they can stop all bad things from happening in life so you will fork over most of what you earn in the name of safety. The truth is that they can't protect you. It's not like they take your money and even try to protect you...they take your money, and take your rights, and all you brainwashed idiots feel safer for it. I don't understand how that can happen, but then again, my eyes aren't shut. Isn't being an adult about having to face reality, and that reality is full of bad stuff? I'm pretty sure that children have parents for that purpose, but then once the time is right, they are put into the world to face it. It seems these days parents over-coddle kids, and then once they are on their own they are further coddled by college (scam) and desk jobs...to work to pay their taxes and pay off their college, forever.

Well this person needs an app like this...

Thanks

The closest bar is within walking distance. Even so, I don't feel the need to drink, and if I did, I could drink at home for much cheaper. It's not even 100% safe to walk home drunk without getting in trouble for that! If they want to come up with public drunkenness, how are there even bars, and stores for alcohol? Public servants, being just that, should provide service to make sure you get home safely...not waiting for a drunk person to get behind the wheel, monitor their driving, THEN pull them over. What else do the cops have to do? They go around LOOKING for and MAKING trouble, well this can give them something to do. If it's a slow night with the drunks, they should sweep and pick up litter. You shouldn't treat innocents like they are guilty by setting up a trap and invading everyone's privacy in the name of catching a few. It's basically entrapment. It's wrong, I don't like it, and I want to know where they are. Would you support an app to let people know where seat belt check points are? Those people are violating the law (which isn't lawful to enact in the first place), but literally are not hurting anyone but themselves, and they have to be in an accident to even be hurt. Not wearing a belt doesn't cause an accident, it's to protect you in case of an accident.
    Last edited by ramicio; 06-09-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    Tell that to the multiple police officer friends of mine, I'm sure they'd be happy to show you the correct way of thinking.

Police officers are citizens, too, and have families to provide and care for. Insinuating that they shouldn't be paid is just about the dumbest thing I've heard this week.