Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Proposes New Spaceship-like Apple Campus

Default Steve Jobs Proposes New Spaceship-like Apple Campus

Just one day after unveiling a slew of new software at Apple’s WWDC, Steve Jobs met with the City Council of Cupertino to discuss plans for a new Apple campus. The proposed building will relocate some 12,000 employees that currently work in various locations scattered around Cupertino and bring them all together under one roof.

Steve states, “It's a pretty amazing building. It's a little like a spaceship landed, but there it is. And it's got this gorgeous courtyard in the middle, but a lot more. It's a circle, and so it’s curved all the way around. As you know if you build things, this is not the cheapest way to build something. There is not a straight piece of glass in this building. It's all curved.”

“The Mothership has landed,” is a well-known Apple t-shirt and now it looks as if it’s actually going to happen sometime in 2015.

Apple recently purchased about 150 aches from Hewlett-Packard. They attempted to acquire more land, but an apartment complex would not sell their property to Apple, so the new campus map looks like it’s had a bite taken out of it. Steve also made it clear that Apple has no plans to leave Cupertino at this time.

The newly proposed campus will also increase the landscaping on the site to 80% from the current 20% and increase the number of trees from 3700 to 6000. Most of the parking will be underground and the site will generate it’s own power using natural gas. The site will only use the regular power grid as a backup.

At one point during the meeting Council Member Kris Wang asked, “Do we get free Wi-Fi or something like that?” To which Steve replied, "I’m a simpleton, I’ve had this view that we pay taxes and the city should do those things. If we can get out of paying taxes, I’ll be glad to put up Wi-Fi." He later reiterates his point by saying, “I think we bring a lot more that free Wi-Fi”

Apple’s new headquarters may look like the Mothership has landed, but it also looks like the architects were big fans of Tron Legacy as well. Apple would like to break ground sometime next year and move in around 2015. They will be working closely with City Council officials to get this project off the ground as quickly as possible.

Source: TUAW

keep the good work apple.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

This is Very interesting. I worked at HP for over 13 years before getting laid off a year ago. (started and finished at the HP Cupertino Campus) I'm very familiar with the buildings shown in the blueprints. It's really wild how thing can change so fast in the course of a couple years.

"Do we get free wifi?"

curved glass yeah right, being in the architecture and building industry I'm willing to bet each piece of glass will be flat so that it's more "faceted" as it goes around the curved building.

The fact that he calls it a campus makes him an even bigger douche bag (which I thought wasn't even possible).

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I would tend to agree with you at first about the faceted glass but Apple is doing this for two reasons... unify their builds.... and most importantly something to do with all their money. If they spend it on capital improvements there is a huge tax incentive b/c all that money is deductible So the more they spend.. the more they can deduct. They have $40B in the bank.. they can afford it regardless.

Thanks

Jobs is like, We make this or we leave and you (cupertino) lose money haha

lmao, Steve Jobs is hilarious...

That's looks very cool I want to work for apple there I would even clean the curved glass

Steve has a good idea, but I have a better one. Instead of a building that looks like a spaceship, howabout they build a spaceship!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hmmmm... Why not make the building more like home button? Basically the same as the picture except square for the hole in the middle

looks like they're trying to put their own apple twist on the pentagon

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I would tend to agree with you at first about the faceted glass but Apple is doing this for two reasons... unify their builds.... and most importantly something to do with all their money. If they spend it on capital improvements there is a huge tax incentive b/c all that money is deductible So the more they spend.. the more they can deduct. They have $40B in the bank.. they can afford it regardless.
    So I guess what you're saying is they can afford to give free WiFi... lol

the glass will be curved doesn't anyone remember the article about how apple just ponied up big bucks for the glass cutting machines?
    it's a two for one.
    spaceship glass AND iphone/pod/pad glass ..... all tax deductible some way or another