+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WWDC: Apple Unveils iCloud

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default WWDC: Apple Unveils iCloud

iCloud is finally about to become a reality. If you buy a song thought iTunes and have more than one device, it can be a real pain to keep all of your devices synced up properly. Well all that is about to change with iCloud. The digital hub is finally being move to the cloud.

Even Steve admits that, "Keeping these devices in sync is driving us crazy."

Starting with iCloud all of your content will be stored in the cloud and will be pushed to all of your devices wirelessly. All devices will also be able to talk to the cloud whenever they want to and keep all of your data synced up as needed.

iCloud will now be integrated with the App Store, so all of your purchases will appear on all of your devices at the same time (depending on the available space on your device of course.) This will make things very convenient, especially if you canít get to a computer.

Not only will iCloud sync all of your apps, but it will also sync all of your iBook purchases as well. Contacts and calendars will now be updated across all devices with iCloud as well.

With iCloud youíll be able to backup music, apps, books, camera roll, device settings, app data, and basically everything on your iDevice. All you need to get started is your Apple ID and password and everything will load onto your iDevice automatically. According to Steve, "It all just works." Once a day, "a lot of your important content" will be updated to the cloud.

And thatís not all! As Steve Jobs states, "We couldn't stop there.Ē

Three additional apps will let you sync data directly to the cloud. All of the iWork apps, including Pages, Numbers and Keynote will wirelessly sync with iCloud. Documents will be automatically updated and stored in the cloud. Youíll be able to start a doc on your iPad and finish it on your desktop computer. All data transfers will be automatic and effortless.

iCloud is also going to be built into Mac OS X Lion apps as well. Youíll be able to use iPhoto to manage all of your photos quickly and easily, "so there's nothing new to learn." There is also going to be Apple TV integration as well.

When iCloud is released itís going to be a real game changer. Youíll be able to store all of your documents in the cloud, pushed automatically and updates will be available across multiple devices simultaneously. Keeping all of your data in sync will be easier than ever with iCloud.

Source: Apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Will this count against your 3G data usage? If so I can see a lot of people going over that 2GB limit on AT&T with this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

iBet my $99.99 it's not iFree...

Thanks

Am i the only person who would never use this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

"Specs and availability
    Each user gets 5GB of free storage for mail, documents, and backup. Fortunately, purchased music, apps, books, and Photo Stream photos don’t count against that total.

iTunes Match costs $25 a year for unlimited storage."

oh and the music you already own outside iTunes will only cost you $25 a year... please...

Green Apple
    Thanks

How do playlists work? If I create a new one on my MBA, does it show up automatically on my iPad? What if I don't want my exercise playlist on my iPad, because I only use it on my Shuffle. Can I exclude that playlist? Do playcounts update across devices? Movies that I upload to iTunes myself. iTunes Match take care of those for me?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit with details about playlist handling. Wait until it's launched or the devs get a chance to dissect it.

I can't wait to get on this Match service. I have a ridiculous amount of old music and live music I'd love to store in the iCloud!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Too bad you have to buy your music from iTunes instead of another place like amazon or somewhere else. Nickel and dime us

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ok so I have 20GB on MobileMe. Will there be a premium iCloud for more than 5GB?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So am I right in guessing that all the music and documents are going to be stored in Apple's server?
    Does this mean if there is another Sony-style hack on Apple and take the servers down, everyone's iPod etc won't be able to sync until they restore the server?
    Also is the option of syncing via USB still available just in case?

Thanks

NOT COOL APPLE! A couple years ago apple forced me to give up my dot Mac (which I was plenty happy with) for MobileMe. I like mobile me but I was forced to adapt. Now a short time later I'm being informed (by an email from apple) that I have no choice but to give up MobileMe and start up with this iCloud nonsense. Christ, it's like the olden days with pac bell to Cingular to AT&T. No one ever asks me! NOT COOL APPLE!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

iCloud is pretty sweet. Not sure about the 24.99 subscription to get all my non-iTunes songs up there, but I guess it's not the worst.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It sounds all fabulous and all, but seriously, how much you gonna rape us to use it?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Calendar syncing? Now that would be useful. (i know, i'm dreaming....)

Thanks

That is a good question, I'm sure that there will be an option to turn off. iCloud on devices to make sure that you don't go over that 2GB.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was wondering the same thing. If you have to access the "cloud" all the time and not on wifi, then data usage would have to go up right?

Thanks

There is the option to switch off 3G access, but not sure what effect that will have. Guess we will find out in the weeks to come from the devs. If your apps are sync'd through the cloud, does that mean game saves too? Or will this be in the new updated game centre??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So what do you do when you and someone else share the same apple id? I sure don't want all my wifes pictures, apps, & contacts.....etc.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

im confused guys.. help me out here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogum99 View Post
    So what do you do when you and someone else share the same apple id? I sure don't want all my wifes pictures, apps, & contacts.....etc.
    Here's where I'm confused at. I had an apple ID since '07, and gotten an MobileMe acct in 2010. iCloud requires an me.com address to work, and though they will allow me to convert my me.com acct to an iCloud acct, what happens to all my purchases that I made under my original ID as I never purchased anything under my MobileMe acct. Though I can use my iCloud acct to syn PIM and contact info, and my orig ID to continue purchases, but now I'm stuck without the ability to sync my app data to the cloud. So what are we to do in this case. And no apple does not allow you to merge/transfer apple ID's and purchases.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-