Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Over the Air iOS Updates

Default Over the Air iOS Updates

Another feature that is likely to be confirmed for iOS 5 next week has leaked. Automatic iOS application updates over the air.

A MacRumors user noticed the following change to Apple's App Updates screen:

Or if your device has Automatic Download enabled for apps, your updates will download to your device without having to sync.
    The page, which pops up when you ask iTunes to check your app library, has already been altered by Apple with the discovered text removed. Luckily MacRumors was able to capture the above screen capture before Apple removed the text.

What the sentence does confirm is a new setting that doesn't currently exist. Users can only manually update or sync their apps through App Store on their devices. Hopefully this means Apple will include over the air updates for iOS as well, and finally make wireless syncing a possibility.

Source: MacRumors

Over the air, jailbreak fixes??

Quote Originally Posted by reopeadres View Post
    Right?! I'll be sure to leave that one disabled.

I don't see this leading to wireless sync, but automatic updates would definitely be welcome. Hopefully we'll have a decent notification system soon that will let us know it's happened too!

Quote Originally Posted by reopeadres View Post
    No matter what Apple can build, there will always be smarter people out there that can tear it down. I have a feeling there will always be a jailbreak scene, no matter what measures Apple dreams up to counter it.

Apple has went back and changed this to remove that line.

Thanks

Interesting... I didn't see this one coming so soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This title is a little misleading, since the screenshot in question talks about app updates, not iOS updates.
    Last edited by SkyMuffin; 06-05-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: weird double post :(

Thanks

Over the air takes too long and can be disrupted by low quality signal strengths...not sure if i care yet....YET

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Over the air takes too long and can be disrupted by low quality signal strengths...not sure if i care yet....YET
    True but who said you had to do it at once you could update everything before you goto bed or when your busy and know you won't be on your phone for awhile.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Another way to un-jailbreak your idevice!