+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Says No to iPad and iPhone Giveaways

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Honestly, what could drive more traffic to a website than the prospect of winning an iPad or iPhone? Maybe the cure for cancer, or guaranteed lottery winnings. Maybe. Too bad
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Says No to iPad and iPhone Giveaways

Honestly, what could drive more traffic to a website than the prospect of winning an iPad or iPhone? Maybe the cure for cancer, or guaranteed lottery winnings.

Maybe.

Too bad Apple is trying to dig a grave for the marketing gold that is free iPhone and iPad giveaways. CNN Money's Philip DeWitt highlighted Apple's Guidelines for Third Party Promotions today (found here), and made note of a few of the restrictions. The issue came to light after an ABC affiliate in Durham, N.C. was notified they had violated Apple's rules when promoting an iPad giveaway.

Here are a few excerpts from Apple's guidelines:

• iPad, iPhone and the iPhone Gift Card may not be used in third-party promotions.
    • iPod touch is only allowed to be used in special circumstances and requires a minimum purchase of 250 units.
    • You may NOT use the Myriad Set font on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, or promotional/advertising materials.
    • The use of "free" as a modifier in any Apple product reference in a prominent manner (headlines, call- outs, etc.) is prohibited.
    • You must submit all marketing materials related to the promotion of Apple products to Apple for review.
    The guidelines/restrictions above have been around since January. The best part about the entire document is the very last line:
    "We appreciate your interest in doing business with Apple!"
    Where was that excitement in the rest of the document?

Source: CNN Money

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

HAHA! Good luck enforcing that one Apple!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wait... so I can not BUY and PAY for an apple product and then give it away to whoever I want?? WTF is wrong with apple...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    wait... so I can not BUY and PAY for an apple product and then give it away to whoever I want?? WTF is wrong with apple...
    Oh you can give away you just can't "promote" or "profit" from it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is this for retail or wholesale purchases from Apple? I find it hard to believe that they would think they could control the sale after a retail purchase?

Banned
    Thanks

I always thought crApple were retarded and this just gives more proof I'm right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Is this for retail or wholesale purchases from Apple? I find it hard to believe that they would think they could control the sale after a retail purchase?
    I find nothing "Hard to believe" when it comes to apple. After all, when I had an iPhone, it wasn't really mine it was still steve's. I just paid to use it as he saw fit until I upgraded or otherwise got rid of it, which I did.
    "僕はアニメが好きです!!!"
    "一遍死んで見る" ---閻魔あい, 地獄少女

"Humans are greedy, therefore they are human, you do well to remember that."
    "Go ahead and shoot me if you want, but... I think you'll wish you'd saved your ammunition later."

---Armblast, GOTT Auditor and ES Member

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My god, and just when you thought Apple couldn't get any more nazi, they do this. I haven't owned an apple product in over a year, but I keep coming back to modmyi.com just hoping for stupid **** like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Kid sells one of his kidneys so he can buy an iPad 2 | 9 to 5 Mac

I think the link says it all. Maybe a giveaway or two couldn't hurt.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is that when I am not signed into MMi I can see all the comments on every post... but when I am signed in I only see the first comment. This post has 7 comments and I see one the moment I sign in. I am using Vista and firefox. Its been like this since the update. The other thing is very few of the topics have the READ MORE link. I have to click the comments or topic subject to READ MORE.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    The for dummies website didn't take down their iPad giveaway yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can do whatever giveaways you want. They're just saying that you can't use their trademarked names in the promotion. While being a little harsh, I can understand why Apple doesn't want their name attached to every crappy, scam company out there. And seeing as how they're Apple's trademarks that they've worked so hard to create and brand, they should have the right to control them. Enforcing this new policy however...