Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Takes Ownership of iCloud.com and Guns for iPods.com

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Takes Ownership of iCloud.com and Guns for iPods.com

In late April, MMi reported that all indications suggested that Apple ponied up big time to secure the domain iCloud.com. Now that we know Apple really is planning the long-awaited service, it makes sense as to why the company reportedly coughed up a reported $4.5 million - yes, $4.5 million - to lock up this prime digital real estate. And it just so happens that today is the day that Apple has taken administrative control of the pricey domain (although it should be noted that iCloud.com still redirects users to Xcerion's site). Apple will likely refurbish (or at the very least, redirect) the domain before next Monday's formal announcement of the new service. But as of this moment, WHOIS searches reveal Apple as the owner of the iCloud.com.

All told, Apple has lots of domains on the brain these days. On Tuesday, after nine years of not caring enough to take legal action, Apple filed an official complaint to secure the rights to ipods.com. Although Apple has owned ipod.com for nearly a decade, someone scooped up the plural version of the domain name in 2002. And Apple has let it slide until now.

Since Apple owns the iPod trademark, it's a safe bet that Cupertino will have its way and not have to cough up big bucks to make it happen. If so, Apple's repertoire of relevant domains will grow even bigger. At present, the list includes: iCloud.com, iPod.com, iPhone.com, iTunes.com, iMac.com, iWork.com, and i-everything-else for that matter. However, Apple did not secure iPad.com in time for the product launch. And, so far, Apple hasn't made a move that we know of to take the domain back.

Source: UDPR Search, ComputerWorld

I don't normally comment, but the title for this story is really deceiving. I thought there was a website for trading in guns for iPods....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djearlybird View Post
    I don't normally comment, but the title for this story is really deceiving. I thought there was a website for trading in guns for iPods....
    Haha I was thinking the same thing. glad i wasn't the only one

They don't have iDispensaries.com !

Same

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

I totally thought the same thing!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Guns for iPods.com, huh...