+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Aeriel View of Apple's Data Center Turns up on Google Earth

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It's taken months to reach this point, but Apple has finally announced that iCloud is not only real, it's also coming soon. And while we continue to debate the rumored
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default New Aeriel View of Apple's Data Center Turns up on Google Earth

It's taken months to reach this point, but Apple has finally announced that iCloud is not only real, it's also coming soon. And while we continue to debate the rumored ins-and-outs of the service and its supposed attributes, we'll only have to wait until next Monday to get some answers. That's when Apple chief Steve Jobs will take the stage at Moscone Center at the World Wide Developers Conference to give a hands-on demonstration of iOS 5, Mac OS X Lion and, of course, iCloud.

What we don't have to wait until next week for, however, is an awesome new aerial view of Apple's massive North Carolina-based data center, which is believed to provide the underpinnings for the new iCloud service. So why did Apple release this stunning new image? It didn't. Instead, it comes to us by way of Google Earth - the first satellite image available of the new data center from Google.

As Fortune magazine highlighted this morning in their findings, it remains a mystery as to how Apple apparently convinced Google to not showcase this particular up-to-date satellite view until after the iCloud announcement was made. You see, just one week ago, this view wasn't available. A head-scratcher, indeed.

If, prior to the iCloud announcement, you asked Google Earth or Google Maps "to show you the intersection of U.S. Route 321 and Startown Road - where the data center is located - the current satellite imagery stopped a few yards short of the construction site," Fortune writer Philip Elmer-DeWitt says. Just days ago, all that could be seen from these coordinates was farmland.

Source: Fortune

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ZOMG! If you look up my neighbours house on Google Maps all you see is a field! Maybe Apple owns that house but hasn't told anyone yet.
    Seriously like! This is nothing more than coincidence. Google Maps isn't a live feed of the planet. It updates areas periodically. Many places are still showing snaps from years ago.
    I think this takes the prize as dumbest article ever.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 06-01-2011 at 10:25 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone therandy's Avatar
    Thanks

So agreed, waste of time article! ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE! Did MMi just have an actual video ad playing on this page without me requesting it?!?

Thats a big no no MMi, I hate sites that play random video ad's Please take them off ASAP!

-1 MMi
    loosing some "iNews Site" respect

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ya the new MMi sucks. The writers were improving but they changed the site around to a horrible confusing interface. It may end up on the same path as Digg in my book.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Ya the new MMi sucks. The writers were improving but they changed the site around to a horrible confusing interface. It may end up on the same path as Digg in my book.
    nice opinion...mine is the contrary

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

is there a page on apples website saying about icloud? where did the info come from? i didnt see a post about icloud being announced....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLeonard View Post
    is there a page on apples website saying about icloud? where did the info come from? i didnt see a post about icloud being announced....
    Apple - Press Info - Apple to Unveil Next Generation Software at Keynote Address on Monday, June 6
    CUPERTINO, California—May 31, 2011—Apple® CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS® X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad®, iPhone® and iPod touch®; and iCloud®, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering.

Thanks

Bing has it too but if you put it on angled view it shows the old image.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

This new center looks like a big hard drive from above, ironically.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    This new center looks like a big hard drive from above, ironically.
    You mean it looks rectangular like millions of buildings?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    So agreed, waste of time article! ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE! Did MMi just have an actual video ad playing on this page without me requesting it?!?

Thats a big no no MMi, I hate sites that play random video ad's Please take them off ASAP!

-1 MMi
    loosing some "iNews Site" respect
    Adblock man.