Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Details Emerge about Apple’s iCloud

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stickyd8 View Post
    Clearly, you are pretty clueless and don't own much digital media. For someone that travels a lot, this is a godsend. I have over 700Gb of movies, TV Shows, and music on my home computer. Sure, I can load up my iPad and/or iPhone with several movies and a bunch of music, but iCloud will allow me to access ANY of my media without having to pick and choose what I want to listen to or watch before I go out of town. It's more of a convenience factor. People's moods change. What if I'm in the mood for an action flick, but I only loaded my devices with comedies. It allows for major flexibility. Also, with the media scan, Apple automatically upgrades your media to a higher quality if yours is sub-par. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that iCloud will be a monthly subscription service. I have a feeling that it will be $99/year (like MobileMe is now), and include all of their current MobileMe services along with all of the other cloud options. We won't know for sure until Monday, so before you jump the gun and start saying how this is a complete failure, let's wait to see what is actually offered. It's definitely already better than Google and Amazon's offerings.
    I have to kind of agree with shrednasty, and here's why. A lot of people like myself, who I travel, already have access to all their files etc...through media servers and the like. I understand the "cloud", and think it could be nifty if done correctly. I just want full control at all time of my files. So that leaves the average person and what they think.

The average person wants to know: What tangible item do they get from the "cloud"? with a cd, you have a cd. with an mp3, you have an mp3 file on your hard drive. With a movie, you have a DVD, or a video file. The average person who wants to OWN something wants something tangible to OWN. Otherwise, it feels like renting, like netflix.

this will come down to how Apple implements it (restrictions? cost?), and marketing.

my .02 cents

I think I might leave MMi until the style changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Wow. IMO an epic fail. First off, where are you going where you'll have a device and webz, but no hard drive? I'm sorry, but I can't understand why everyone is excited or what the point of this is. If you have a laptop, take it with you when you travel. If you own an iPhone, put your music on it. If you own neither, what are you going to play it on? It's redundant. Add a monthly fee to it and web dependency?

Edit; Monthly subscription AND international data fees......to stream music you could have put on your iPhone? Yep. It's a FAIL.
    On any mobile device, why would I want to carry around all my extra gear, ie external hard drives. On my iPhone/iPad with such limited storage, where I can only hold not even a quarter of my iTunes library...

This is why people are excited about this possible launch.

I hate the new website design...

I seriously doubt that Apple will allow people to stream pirated music. That is just begging for a lawsuit. Doesn't matter that google did it, because Apple is a much larger target than google for lawsuits, especially because they have contracts with various music companies.

I could also see Apple collecting everyone's pirated MP3s, and forwarding to list to the RIAA or such.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

iCloud will only be used by a small fraction of the population. I don't know anyone that is willing to pay Apple twice to listen to the same song. Since there won't be a new iPhone this year at WWDC you can bet that Apple is going to be laying the sales pitch on pretty hard for iCloud and Lion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stickyd8 View Post
    Clearly, you are pretty clueless and don't own much digital media. For someone that travels a lot, this is a godsend. I have over 700Gb of movies, TV Shows, and music on my home computer. Sure, I can load up my iPad and/or iPhone with several movies and a bunch of music, but iCloud will allow me to access ANY of my media without having to pick and choose what I want to listen to or watch before I go out of town. It's more of a convenience factor. People's moods change. What if I'm in the mood for an action flick, but I only loaded my devices with comedies. It allows for major flexibility. Also, with the media scan, Apple automatically upgrades your media to a higher quality if yours is sub-par. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that iCloud will be a monthly subscription service. I have a feeling that it will be $99/year (like MobileMe is now), and include all of their current MobileMe services along with all of the other cloud options. We won't know for sure until Monday, so before you jump the gun and start saying how this is a complete failure, let's wait to see what is actually offered. It's definitely already better than Google and Amazon's offerings.
    Errm. I have a full TB and 3 quarters of my second. Mostly BRRips. I would still rather load what I need and take it with me than pay to listen to and watch the content I've already stolen.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12