Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Show Me The Shortage, FCC Tells AT&T

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Show Me The Shortage, FCC Tells AT&T

Nobody really thought AT&T's bid to acquire T-Mobile would be smooth sailing. And it certainly doesn't look as though it will be. In fact, Federal regulators are already coming to AT&T with some pretty heavy questions, some of which threaten to undermine the very reason given by AT&T for their desire to acquire T-Mobile, a deal that would make AT&T the largest carrier in the US.

AT&T, as you may recall, pointed to "network spectrum and capacity constraints" last month, a situation that can be remedied through the T-Mobile purchase. The Federal Communications Commission has finally responded to that "shaky" claim and is
    formally asking AT&T to provide “all plans, analyses and reports discussing the relative network spectrum capacity constraints of the company.”

The FCC, of course, along with the US Justice Department represent the biggest hurdles AT&T will have to clear to seal the deal on the $39 billion acquisition first proposed in March. “We will provide the FCC with all the data it needs,” Michael Balmoris, a spokesman for AT&T, tells Bloomberg in response to Friday's sudden curve-ball inquiry by the FCC. Balmoris, however, says the information request was not unexpected as it represents “standard procedure” during a merger review.

Even if AT&T pacifies regulators with the information they will provide in response to the FCC's first official line of questioning, it is estimated that formal federal approval for the acquisition could ultimately take upwards of a year, if not longer.

Source: Bloomberg

I still think the 39$ billion would have been better spent on LTE.

I think $39 billion would have been better spent on me

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    I agree, expand or improve your current network rather than acquire a company whose service has no relevance to me and a lot of other people.. T-mobile has 2g coverage in my area so this acquisition will only further strain the 3g towers...
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Give it up AT&T.. No-one really believes a monopoly GSM carrier is good for any consumer. AT&T customers -may- benefit short term, but everyone looses in the end - guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Give it up AT&T.. No-one really believes a monopoly GSM carrier is good for any consumer. AT&T customers -may- benefit short term, but everyone looses in the end - guaranteed.
    you must be confusing the US with Europe.

On a related note... I'm still digging all the T-Mobile kick-in-the-nutz commercials against AT&T they are running!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    You do know that tmobile has the biggest 4g network in the us? If Att buys tmobile they then can concentrate their 4g efforts were tmobile has not. In
    simple English this means Att is workin on 4g. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    You do know that tmobile has the biggest 4g network in the us? If Att buys tmobile they then can concentrate their 4g efforts were tmobile has not. In
    simple English this means Att is workin on 4g. Lol
    He said LTE. T-Mobile's 4G is actually 3G+HSPDA. Not 4G.
    Evolution of an iPhone User:
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PorthosPirate View Post
    He said LTE. T-Mobile's 4G is actually 3G+HSPDA. Not 4G.
    Hspa+ is a form or like 4g. Lte is 4g. If you really want to be technical Att and Verizon will both have lte nation wide by 2013.