+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Takes on Apple with New Mac Download Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Amazon Takes on Apple with New Mac Download Store

Amazon today launched a ‘Mac Download Store’ to compete with Apple’s own Mac App Store. The completion between Amazon and Apple has been fierce over the last few years as both companies try to gain the attention of the same customer base. The Mac Download Store is just the latest in a long line of ventures that directly competes with Apple. The store launched today with more than 250 unique titles including a few exclusive titles such as Microsoft Office for Mac.

The Mac Download Store has two main sections, one for software and one for video games. The software categories including Business and Office, Education and Reference, Home and Hobbies, Money Management, Tax Prep and Video and Music.

The Video Games section incudes one additional feature: “You can download an unlimited number of times for personal use. To re-download, go to Your Games and Software Library through the "Your Digital Items" link at the top of the screen and click the download button.” This is a really convenient feature have, because some games can be quite large and doing a software backup isn’t exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you download the latest games like BioShock.

To celebrate the launch of the new digital store, Amazon is offering a $5 discount on your first software download purchase. Amazon also states, the “Mac Download store features an install-less download process where the customer gets just the product without any unwanted extras, making for faster and easier purchases. Plus, downloads are conveniently backed up in your Games and Software Library.”

With Amazon expanding its digital download service to now include Mac software, this gives customers a new choice where they can shop for Apple software. Apple may design great products, but some of their policies tend to leave a bad taste in people’s mouths. Competition in the marketplace always benefits the average consumer in the long run. Hopefully, the new Mac Download Store will encourage software prices to come down a bit and publishes can make up the difference in volume sales rather than on the price alone. After all, Amazon does have the best prices on just about everything already, why not add software downloads to the list.

Source: Amazon

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. Apple must be lit up by now. Amazon is becoming that little gnat that just will not go away no matter how many times you swipe at it.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

lol is that even legal? ahha just kidding

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This isn't an 'App Store' so much as a specific category to sell Mac compatible software. But the truth doesn't really get the knee jerk reactions from people with short attention spans now does it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet!

Thanks

Off topic: Just wanted to point out a typo in the 2nd sentence. You wrote "The completion between Amazon and Apple..." I believe you meant competition. On topic: Competition is always a good thing from the consumers point of view. I'll get my software from who ever provides me with the best deals.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a matter of time before crApple finds a way to stop software downloaded from Amazon from being installed. Apple might patch the OS X installer to reject that software.