+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Only One Hurdle Left to Clear For Apple's iCloud

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Only One Hurdle Left to Clear For Apple's iCloud

We're as close as we've ever been to Apple finally lifting the curtain on its long-awaited iCloud streaming music service. Those in-the-know say June remains a probable timeframe for launch as Apple has reportedly - at long last - signed deals with all the right labels and major music industry players within the last few days.

Yet as All Things Digital reported via Peter Kafka on Friday, one significant hurdle remains to be cleared. You see, Apple still doesn't have an agreement with the big music publishers, as labels and publishers are two different entities that own different sets of rights. This is the one aspect of the Apple-cloud story that virtually no one is talking about. In order for Steve Jobs to launch iTunes into the clouds, all parties have to play nice.

The two groups each get paid when their work is used, at different rates. And while all the big music companies have both a recorded music arm and a publishing arm, the two operate in different silos, and donít always share the rights to the same music. The Beatlesí recordings, for instance, belong to EMI Music, while the bandsí publishing rights are controlled by Sony/ATV.
    It is important to note, however, that the project isn't likely to fall through at this stage of the game as there's far too much money to be made for all parties involved if a final consensus is reached in the coming days - if not hours. In a nutshell, this deal will depend on how how much Apple is willing to pay out. Of course, at this point, with other streaming services reaching the clouds first, Apple simply can't afford not to pay whatever it takes to make iCloud happen - and soon.

By all means, expect the hurdle in question to be cleared in time for the June 6th kick-off to Apple's WWDC.

Source: All Things Digital

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Whitee (05-21-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone urwack's Avatar
    Thanks

What Apple wants Apple will end up getting someway somehow or in most cases some cash amount will be paid to whoever needs to be paid

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hurry up dammit!

Thanks

I couldn't careless, it sure won't support Egypt and many other countries with us.

Thanks

Only 15 days! Better get a deal done soon
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Noone is talking about this..... This whole cloud service is just going to use a ton of data on my data plan. It's another way for cell phone companies to make more money. Good thing im still on unlimited data.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well, if it really is just a Music streaming service, so that i can keep my MP3's on the cloud, its not interesting at all. I want a full service, including documents, movies, system backups, etc. All accessible through an iOS app, desktop app (Win & Mac), and the ability to email files straight from the cloud to anyone and not only other people who have icloud accounts.

I doubt it will be an open system, so i might just stick with Wuala for the file storage and rather use Spotify for the music streaming.

Oh and i bet iCloud will be also quite a lot more expensive than the rest. Having experienced the no value for good money mobileme service i tend to NOT choose the Apple web service option.