+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Clarification: Intel Owns Thunderbolt Trademark, Not Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The confusing non-confrontational custody battle over who owns Thunderbolt trademark between Apple, and Intel has reached a conclusion. Rights to the trademark Thunderbolt, the new I/O technology co-developed by Intel
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Clarification: Intel Owns Thunderbolt Trademark, Not Apple

The confusing non-confrontational custody battle over who owns Thunderbolt trademark between Apple, and Intel has reached a conclusion.

Rights to the trademark Thunderbolt, the new I/O technology co-developed by Intel and Apple, were originally filed by Apple. However, these rights are in the process of being transferred to Intel.

"As part of our collaboration with Apple, they did some of the initial trademark filings. Intel has full rights to the Thunderbolt trademark now and into the future. The Thunderbolt name will be used going forward on all platforms, irrespective of operating system."- Intel Senior Communications Manager Dave Salvator
    Apple's help during the process of developing Thunderbolt/Lightpeak started in 2009 when they urged Intel to modify the optical nature of the Lightpeak technology to push 10 watts of power as well, thereby changing it from optical cable to copper based. It's odd that their contributions included these trademark filings as well.

Intel is still hard at work trying to implement the optical cable technology they originally planned for Thunderbolt/Lightpeak.

"The (Thunderbolt optical) cable could carry power in the same cable (running next to optical part of cable), but exact product plans are still to be announced."- Salvator
    Please let them figure this out and implement it very soon. The original proposed transfer speeds of the optical version of Thunderbolt/Lightpeak were 100Gbps, 10 times faster than its current copper-based iteration. Say goodbye to all other I/O's if/when that happens.

Source: Bright Side of News
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 05-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay it'll be like USB, anyone can use it!

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

How long will this take to implement into all the devices we use? Probably 10 years or so. This will be a ways off until we are able to use it as we use USB.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    How long will this take to implement into all the devices we use? Probably 10 years or so. This will be a ways off until we are able to use it as we use USB.
    Thanks to hackers, it may be sooner then you think..

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrAzYiaN View Post
    Definitely. Also, the quicker Intel standardizes the platform the quick motherboard manufacturers will be to adapt the I/O. It helps that the largest chip-maker today is behind the tech. Kind of hard to say no to Intel as a pc manufacturer.

Thanks

Thank god, I'm all for Apple but that would just hinder the thunderport platform.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be awesome to see thunderbolt as the universal standard in the next few years. I don't mind a couple minutes to sync my phone but if it can be done in a few seconds it would be nice.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrAzYiaN View Post
    What do hackers have to do with hardware implementation in mainstream computers?

+1 to this new technology. I thought it was only 10Gbits but 100?! damn!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexevo For This Useful Post:

grbspltt (05-21-2011), Kewlk1d (05-21-2011)