+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speech-To-Text in OS X Lion May Sound Like This

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The partnership between leader in speech recognition, and text-to-speech software Nuance, and Apple has been well documented in recent weeks. In the latest build of OS X Lion released to
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Speech-To-Text in OS X Lion May Sound Like This

The partnership between leader in speech recognition, and text-to-speech software Nuance, and Apple has been well documented in recent weeks. In the latest build of OS X Lion released to developers Apple has incorporated (pictured above) Nuance's technology into both iOS 5 and Mac OS X.

Below are some links to what the new improved text-to-speech function in Lion will likely sound like.

When comparing these voices to the voices currently available in OS X the differences are stark. Current OS X users can choose between voices like "Bubbles," and "Ralph." All are extremely robotic sounding, and have no regard for vocal intonation. Builds of Lion showing off the menu pictured above will allow users to choose between a bevy of regional accents. These voices are much more natural sounding, not only in intonation, but also in the natural rhythms of speech. This doesn't mean they're not discernable from a real human voice, but it is a large step in the right direction.

Apple has definitely struck a licensing agreement with Nuance, because at $45 a pop, these accents don't come cheap. It will be interesting to see how Apple presents these advancements in speech-to-text, and voice recognition technology to consumers once they're available in final builds of iOS 5 and Lion.

Source: Nextup

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Honestly I've heard this quality of text to speech long before now.. I wouldn't ever really use this except to make it say stupid stuff for about 30 seconds before I got bored.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbows View Post
    Honestly I've heard this quality of text to speech long before now.. I wouldn't ever really use this except to make it say stupid stuff for about 30 seconds before I got bored.
    You mean speech to text

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

I would really like the lion to come out now. Not really because of this but just in general lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Sheesh. This technology just isn't there yet. Put it back in the oven and bake it for another decade.

Thanks

Thumbs down No...
    Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    You mean speech to text

Wth are you talking about? TTS. Text to Speech. It isn't dictation software.. unless you are referring to the article title hahaha

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am legally blind, and the only thing keeping me off of a Mac is that the built in voiceover and zoom do not compare to stand alone zoom and reader programs like Zoomtext, which I have used all of my life with a PC. If this improve the reader options enough I may be finally able to try out a mac for full time use. I have an iPad and iPhone and the zoom and voiceover are good enough to use those, which has already changed my life, so I don't really have too much to gripe about in this regard.

PS: As someone who uses TTS every single day, I can refute with confidence the idea that there has been no improvement. These examples sound amazing, pitch and intonation wise, trust me, I've read a lot of books in a monotone computerized voice..
    Last edited by crackertime; 05-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks

Ok the sample sounds the same it has for a while now....

Thanks

Surly the title is wrong lol

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Apple presents these advancements in speech-to-text
    That's text-to-speech

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There are two types of tech using text and speech. Text to Speech = You write(text) - mac speaks
    Speech to Text = You speak - mac writes (text).

Using tech with accents can help both ways, using speech to text was great in windows xp word, but meant you had to speak more 'american' for it to understand or some software it was reading a whole book to machine to try and improve. So hopefully this tech helps speak and understand speech better. it has great applications in iphone too. Speak to text (text message) whilst you drive, for example.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    You mean speech to text
    Just because Philip Swanson doesn't know what he is talking about doesn't mean I don't.. I definitely meant text to speech! lol

Thanks

FWIW, i think AT&T has better text to speech ..
    AT&T Labs Natural Voices Text-to-Speech Demo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have actually worked on enterprise phone applications that deploy Nuance speech and its pretty impressive with the text to speech and also the speech recognition.

This could be a really cool implementation with Apple and everything if they keep expanding this. I am waiting for them to really expand the voice controls in the next iPhone too.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It can only get better!