+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple April Sales Up 113 Percent From Last Year, Disappointing?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Ticonderoga Securities, using their trusted "Apple Barometer," reported Apple had "strong growth year-on-year for April," with sales up 113% compared to the same month last year. These numbers aren't raw
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple April Sales Up 113 Percent From Last Year, Disappointing?

Ticonderoga Securities, using their trusted "Apple Barometer," reported Apple had "strong growth year-on-year for April," with sales up 113% compared to the same month last year.

These numbers aren't raw sales numbers on products shipped, but rather measure sales of component suppliers to Apple in their supply chain. The logic is if Apple needs to purchase more supplies (LCDs, touch screens, etc) from their suppliers, there is a higher demand for their products and more products are being made. Which is a good thing if you're an Apple shareholder.

The previous three months saw growth year-on-year growth for January up 150%, February up 172% and March up 141%. Apple's quarterly earnings report last month forecast a 7% decrease in sequential sales.for June. This prediction falls out of line with Apple's eight year average where June typically has seen a 5% increase. This of course is characteristic of Apple. Temper analysts expectations, so you can blow them out of the water.

This massive increase in sales and production over the last six months makes sense with multiple releases of new devices, increased demand, and competition between other manufacturers for a crippled supply base (Japan hurt a lot). Sales for May, especially if they beat Apples estimates, will keep the rumor mill spinning. The estimated decline in sales for June could be the result of a huge uptick in demand on Apple's part over the last few months, and sales for May. If they remain steady or increased, it could indicate a new iPhone has seen production ramped up to meet an imminent release.

This is obviously going to be conjecture for the business aficionados who cover all things Apple. However, if anyone ever wants to look for confirmation of a new device being released, the supply chain data never lies.

Source: PC World

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

it is disappointing because with new group of people from Verizon getting iPhone there is suppose to be considerable rise in sales.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    it is disappointing because with new group of people from Verizon getting iPhone there is suppose to be considerable rise in sales.
    Enough people use the Internet though..they know to wait for the iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever its called
    my SPOON is too big

Thanks

How is "sales up 113% compared to the same month last year." a bad thing??

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon's iPhone should have been released when AT&T's was released last year. If you anticipate selling millions of devices to a new market, then drop well below predicted sales because the consumer is waiting for a new device, not a 6 month old device, then 113% could seem disappointing.

I would anticipate sales to be higher when the latest device releases. Although it could fall short as well if the hardware is not substantially different. Screen size needs to be larger, better proc, more ram. Things to make us want to spend $300 per year on a phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Sales figures?? - these are purchase orders!

The reason this benchmark is down is because there simply isn't enough component supply available to meet Apple's needs. Of course you can't buy something that doesn't exist.

This is the reason why most analysts throw out these measurements - demand is still high, and the supply chain is being reconstructed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Welcome to the world of BUSINESS Apple! Can't win 'em all. Did you really expect astronomical figures to continue forever and ever?

lol. 113% is disappointing?

Steve: "Only 113%?. Well damn I was really shooting for 150%. 113% just isn't going to pay the bills."

Thanks
    they need to revamp iOS (they'll be doing this in the summer) and for once add more than 5 features to the iPhone. I love Apple and the iPhone and will buy anything they make because I know they make it with care but for others, they still need something to push them over that makes them realize the iPhone is different from every other phone out there.
    ALL THEY DO IS DRINK, SMOKE DOPE, AND TELL JOKES TO THE OLD FOLKS

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Du Blex View Post
    they need to revamp iOS (they'll be doing this in the summer) and for once add more than 5 features to the iPhone.
    You know I've always wondered....seems like everytime a major iOS update drops Apple claims it has something like "100 new features". But does anybody actually know what every single feature is that's been added besides the ones they advertise?

iOS 4 dropped with "100 new features" but i certainly didn't notice that many new features.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing disappointing here

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Nothing disappointing here
    Thats what she said =)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

Those companies that only see a 5% increase in sales year over year are shaking their heads at this one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Disappointing, because all the money they got with Steve Jobs picture.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I think alot of people being in the middle of a contract and the fear of a new iPhone released 3-4 months later killed alot of sales. It was a good move to add another carrier but maybe not the best timing. Then again, can the Apple juggernaut be stopped? This is great news for the company.
    HK-Z on Game Center