+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 3

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Releases Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 3

On Friday evening, Apple seeded Mac OS X Lion developer preview 3, and today we're hearing about some of the nifty little tweaks and enhancements that have been unearthed so far. Of course, if you haven't already downloaded yours, there's a possibility that you may not be able to so at this time.

Some of the developers we know say the update effectively disappeared from Software Update on machines running March 30th's release of Lion Developer Preview 2. We started hearing this just hours after the release came. And while we had hoped for more information regarding the matter today, few additional details regarding the stalled download process have become available.

More than a few developers have reported problems with the beta - specifically, that it supposedly rendered their systems unable to reboot. It's important to reiterate, however, that there's no confirmation of this problem and certainly not by Apple. These are some of the things we're hearing and reading from developers.

Those who did obtain Lion Developer Preview 3 have reported some obvious and noteworthy changes, including a new boot animation and other aesthetically enhanced graphics and themes. There's also new and improved desktop wallpapers, and - as expected - the Reading List is now enabled in Safari."

Other changes include:
    • New Reminders menu in iCal
    • New next desktop button in Dashboard space:
    • New options when right-clicking (this appears to be buggy at this time):
    • Compatibility to external displays has been improved (especially in Mission Control)
    • There is now a Mission Control app
    • Finderís toolbar has been slightly updated

Apple will officially unveil and preview Mac OS X 10.7 Lion at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference beginning June 6th.

Source: Apple, It's All Tech

Thanks

It was pulled back as soon as it was released, and an email went out NOT to DL/install it BEFORE it was released!. A new version will be released "soon" via the App Store. An email will be sent to us when then happens. So far, it's just a nice upgrade, I'm not really all that excited by it. I just hope it has less issues on final release than SL, which broke FireWire among other things.
    Senior

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I couldn't see it in my software update, guess waiting for something better isn't that bad

Thanks

I'm hoping for a GM release in the near future. Probably in about 2 weeks or so.

Thanks

Not looking forward to Lion with its iOS-like changes. Leave my mac, a mac. Good for people who are looking forward to it though.
    Last edited by ty22; 05-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

Not all that dif than SL.
    Senior

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Not all that dif than SL.
    Yeah. IDK. I heard they were totally redesigning how applications quit and save work. That, I don't like.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Yeah. IDK. I heard they were totally redesigning how applications quit and save work. That, I don't like.
    You can change everything back the way you like it if you wish.

The 'iOS" functions take some getting used to but once you do, you'll never go back. I thought the same thing but now I'm not sure I can live without Lion.

I only use SL now for iOS provisioning and I hate having to fire it up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Not looking forward to Lion with its iOS-like changes. Leave my mac, a mac. Good for people who are looking forward to it though.
    You don't have to use the iOS type stuff if you don't want to. Just remove launch pad from the dock. The only thing that you have to use are the iOS type scroll bars.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    You don't have to use the iOS type stuff if you don't want to. Just remove launch pad from the dock. The only thing that you have to use are the iOS type scroll bars.
    I wish you could remove scroll bars from Snow Leopard. I dont think I've ever used them, by use I mean clicking on the arrows or dragging the blue bar up/down.
    I like the iOS style scroll bars that appear only when scrolling in Lion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I wish you could remove scroll bars from Snow Leopard. I dont think I've ever used them, by use I mean clicking on the arrows or dragging the blue bar up/down.
    I like the iOS style scroll bars that appear only when scrolling in Lion.
    That would be cool. I'm one of the few who actually like lions iOS+OS X look.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was able to obtain it from software update around 2:30pm ET today. Still a few bugs but otherwise works very well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tavella View Post
    I was able to obtain it from software update around 2:30pm ET today. Still a few bugs but otherwise works very well.
    Do you still have the update Pkg? I missed it.

Thanks

what i dont like is how switching spaces and scrolling webpages is tied together. If they would just allow me to scroll down on webpages and then swipe right when i want my space to go the the one on the right i'd be happy. But noooooo they're always opposite. my mac isn't a touch screen !
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    That would be cool. I'm one of the few who actually like lions iOS+OS X look.
    I'm with ya on that one man, I enjoy the look as well!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    what i dont like is how switching spaces and scrolling webpages is tied together. If they would just allow me to scroll down on webpages and then swipe right when i want my space to go the the one on the right i'd be happy. But noooooo they're always opposite. my mac isn't a touch screen !
    you can turn that off...
    i am really looking forward to lion even the betas are somewhat buggy here and there i also noticed performance increase in various areas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meglomaniac View Post
    you can turn that off...
    i am really looking forward to lion even the betas are somewhat buggy here and there i also noticed performance increase in various areas.
    How do you turn that off? I know you can make scrolling back to the way it is on SL, but when I do that I don't like the way I have to swipe to get to a new space. Maybe i'm missing something.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, I have an iMac 27" Bought around November 2010... I did software update last night and was presented with what I assume to be DP3 update (It just said Lion Developer Preview - but since I was already on DP2 U2 I could only assume it was DP3) ... So installed it and BAM - I can't boot anymore... I'm left with the Apple Logo and the spinning wheel! So this is confirmation 1 lol

Additional info (if it makes any difference)

I have a boot camp partition, and also use ReFit as my boot menu. If I turn the machine on, I get grey screen (no logo) ... then there was a flash of blue (like pre-login I think) then back to grey, with apple logo and pinwheel.

I've tried the 80211family.kext trick to no avail.
    Last edited by jtanner; 05-15-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: addition info added
    do'h

Thanks

I got this May 13th about 1PM PST. I did NOT! update. I have not yet received the 2nd email saying to go ahead:

"Software Update - Please Do Not Install
    Later today a Software Update for Lion will be released. If you are running Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Build 11A444d, a Software Update will appear named Lion Developer Preview Update. Please DO NOT install the Software Update.

We are working on posting a new build in the Mac App Store. Once it is ready we want you to try using the Mac App Store for installing the new build. We need your help making sure the process works as expected.

As soon as the Mac App Store build is available, you will receive an email with new redemption codes and new installation instructions. Until then, please continue testing the current build of Lion, 11A444d, and report any problems you encounter. We would also appreciate any time you can set aside to complete the questionnaires we have posted for this build.

Thank you for your continued participation!"
    Senior

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

psilocybin (05-15-2011)

Thanks

is that supposedly sent out to developers?