+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buyer Beware New iMacs Hard Disk Not Upgradeable

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
This is exactly why I hated farking Apple and especially that piece of shite Jobs from the get go. No hardware manufacturer will tell me what I can or cannot
    Green Apple
    Thanks

This is exactly why I hated farking Apple and especially that piece of shite Jobs from the get go. No hardware manufacturer will tell me what I can or cannot do with the product once I purchase it. Of course it isn't just Apple, the wife's Sony desktop has a proprietary connector the the monitor so only Sony monitors can be used (she wasn't my wife when she bought it).
    Now only clones allowed in this house, I build them and upgrade and replace parts as I please.
    The laptops are brand names but they have always been slightly more difficult to upgrade depending on configuration (built in sound, video and network cards). That said I did replace the mother board, upgraded the hard drives (I've got two in my laptop) and the memory and replaced the screen when the lamp failed on my laptop and replaced the screen on the wife's when junior dropped hers (on a side note Sony wanted 80,000 yen, about $700, to repair her (4 years old)Sony laptop, I got a used screen off e-bay for $150 including shipping and only charged her a six pack for replacing it :-), talking about disgusting corporate greed if there ever was one).
    Bottom line is if you are a brainless drone and like walking in locksteps with no individuality buy Apple, if you like freedom buy a PC.
    F. Jobs and f. Apple.
    Come to think of it f. Sony too.
    The only reason I have an iPhone is because it is jailbreakable and unlockable.
    Last edited by sadsamurai; 05-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadsamurai For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (05-12-2011), jasvncnt10 (05-13-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't believe this, all you people posting are on a modding site and none of you thought about building a custom cable? This isnt that complicated of a problem to get around. If you don't like it then don't buy an apple computer. There is alot of hating apple in this thread considering all of you own atleast 1 apple product. You can say " I only own it because of jailbreaking" all you want but it boils down to you already paid apple for the device and most of you will buy the next gen apple device or computer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

ghostpod (05-14-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I can't believe this, all you people posting are on a modding site and none of you thought about building a custom cable? This isnt that complicated of a problem to get around. If you don't like it then don't buy an apple computer. There is alot of hating apple in this thread considering all of you own atleast 1 apple product. You can say " I only own it because of jailbreaking" all you want but it boils down to you already paid apple for the device and most of you will buy the next gen apple device or computer.
    Seriously, this article just gave ppl an excuse to bash on Apple...even though they own Apple products. It's one thing to not like a company and not hate on them, it's another to dislike them and bash on them for no reason other than you prefer to use another product, its lame.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

bdwayneh (05-12-2011), ghostpod (05-14-2011), Shady6 (05-13-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Seriously, this article just gave ppl an excuse to bash on Apple...even though they own Apple products. It's one thing to not like a company and not hate on them, it's another to dislike them and bash on them for no reason other than you prefer to use another product, its lame.
    +1

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (05-13-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider_romeo View Post
    So don't buy iMacs.
    Hey Spider. Where do you buy yer bananas?

Thanks

Well, a sick 27" iMac was on my list for this summer. Key word? Was. The G5s are so so sexy, but too damned expensive. So, I can haz Hackintosh? Is there a good site or person on these forums anyone could refer me to? If I can't have a Mac, I'll just make the most stupid overkill Hackintosh ever.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShredNasty For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (05-12-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WTF, I went from Win95/WinNT to linux, but missed some of the commercial apps. Then the intel macs appeared and I had a nice unix back-end with a nice front-end and some good commercial apps. But I can't stand this crap. Time to go back to PC's running linux again (fortunately now it is much easier to run commercial apps by having a virtual windows box within linux). Another alternative is to do the hackintosh route, then greedy SJ won't see a single dime of mine and I still keep the nice OSX, without dealing with his crap.
    Last edited by cpotoso; 05-12-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    WTF, I went from Win95/WinNT to linux, but missed some of the commercial apps. Then the intel macs appeared and I had a nice unix back-end with a nice front-end and some good commercial apps. But I can't stand this crap. Time to go back to PC's running linux again (fortunately now it is much easier to run commercial apps by having a virtual windows box within linux). Another alternative is to do the hackintosh route, then greedy SJ won't see a single dime of mine and I still keep the nice OSX, without dealing with his crap.
    Wow you have no clue huh? 95% of windows apps will run in wine, crossover, or cedega. Hell iTunes will run in wine no problems. Why waste all those precious CPU cycles on running a virtual box when you can run a lighter emulator? Why would an intel Mac be anydifferent than say a g5? unless your running windows on it. That's about the only difference between the two.

Thanks

I find it funny how many uneducated windows trolls there are on an Apple product forum. The door is that way. Enjoy your viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Where are your facts about SJ being greedy? Perhaps if you researched before your comment you would know he only takes $1 a year as payment, and that is only so he is a legal employee.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 05-12-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

ghostpod (05-14-2011), Rob2G (05-13-2011), Shady6 (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    I find it funny how many uneducated windows trolls there are on an Apple product forum. The door is that way. Enjoy your viruses.

Where are your facts about SJ being greedy? Perhaps if you researched before your comment you would know he only takes $1 a year as payment, and that is only so he is a legal employee.
    I Admire mr jobs too, but that $1 is for taxes or something. He gets alot of $$$ in bonuses and stock.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (05-13-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks like its 'Bye Bye Miss Apple Pie!' Funny thing is - no matter what happens or what is said here - apple fanboys will still jump to the offensive and to apples rescue. Sad but true!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jius For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (05-13-2011), jasvncnt10 (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Well, I'm stuck. Idk what route to take. I have a G5, which is super nice, it's just a PowerPC though (IMB not Intel), so no Snow Leopard and no Lion. My price range is 1k - 1.5k but I was willing to step out of that a little to get an iMac. New G5s are too expensive. No laptop. I looked into a Hackintosh, but I'm no 1337 ***x0r and I'm way picky about what I want and don't want. PC is a no. I guess a used G5 Intel will be my route. I don't really see another route.

Edit; I had no idea h, a, and x made a bad word here. Lamesauce.
    Last edited by ShredNasty; 05-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Well, I'm stuck. Idk what route to take. I have a G5, which is super nice, it's just a PowerPC though (IMB not Intel), so no Snow Leopard and no Lion. My price range is 1k - 1.5k but I was willing to step out of that a little to get an iMac. New G5s are too expensive. No laptop. I looked into a Hackintosh, but I'm no 1337 ***x0r and I'm way picky about what I want and don't want. PC is a no. I guess a used G5 Intel will be my route. I don't really see another route.

Edit; I had no idea h, a, and x made a bad word here. Lamesauce.
    To be honest I'd just pay the extra and get the iMac if I was you. You can always use an external hdd or nas if you need more space.

I should have stated PowerPC when I said g5 in my first post but atleast you understood what I meant.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have discovered the solution.......buy a PC...and also get to go to Hawai

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Aumz For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    I have discovered the solution.......buy a PC...and also get to go to Hawai
    What would I do in Hawaii? Remove viruses from my PC in a more exotic setting?

Thanks

Just don't plug it into Internet and enjoy your vacation. Then when you get back return it for that iMac you were talking about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Enjoy your viruses.

The only reason why Mac's do not have virus's is because there aren't enough Mac's out there in the world for virus writers to waste their time on lol. Seriously man you fell right into that one!
    "Don't hold it like that!"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayvidpriddy For This Useful Post:

weazle23 (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    The only reason why Mac's do not have virus's is because there aren't enough Mac's out there in the world for virus writers to waste their time on lol. Seriously man you fell right into that one!
    Actually for actual viruses it has more to do with "better" use of permissions that the underlying bsd system relies upon than actual not enough to waste their time on. Other threats now thats a different story.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

anekin007 (05-13-2011), moon#pie (05-13-2011), Rob2G (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Actually for actual viruses it has more to do with "better" use of permissions that the underlying bsd system relies upon than actual not enough to waste their time on. Other threats now thats a different story.
    Well said, it's about time somebody who actually knew what they were talking about said something.

Thanks

I'm an Average User myself so I don't really see the need to replace the HD with an SSD. But..if my HD DOES fail (Which has NEVER happened to me Since I've owned a PC), I always have a external Drive. So for me this not a deterrent from NOT..getting an 21.5 inch iMac. Besides I've never felt comfortable taking apart a desk top although I can do it, it's more simpler on a L/T. Remember that the Average Consumer isn't really going to care about replacing their HD, since most will buy into either the Apple Care program or Best Buy program or take it to some Tech guy whom doesn't have a clue as to the internals of a Mac vs a PC. As I stated above for me..this is no HUGE issue. Is it wrong? Possibly? but..unless someone sends some sorta feedback or basically annoys Apple enough MAYBE....they might do some changes IF..pigs..can fly..lmao!!. But seriously u have to remember that not everyone is as Knowledgeable in these things are you or I, nor are those that work @ Best Buy or any Apple Store. Just my two sense.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872