+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Apple TV 4.2.2 Update

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has issued a new software update for the second generation Apple TV. With the update, we've now graduated to version 4.2.2. For the time being, we don't have many
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Releases Apple TV 4.2.2 Update

Apple has issued a new software update for the second generation Apple TV. With the update, we've now graduated to version 4.2.2. For the time being, we don't have many details about what the update brings, though bug fixes and general upkeep will likely be noted in subsequent documentation from Apple, which is yet to be provided.

Following the release of the update - which is registered by Apple servers as a new build of iOS 4.3 (build# 8F305), MuscleNerd tweeted: "Apple just pushed out a lone AppleTV2G update...stay away from that if you're currently untethered on ATV2G."

When more details of the update are discovered, we will update this post accordingly. For the time being, however, it appears that those who have downloaded the update aren't revealing any significant or even noticeable changes thus far. It may take some time to determine if the new update, for example, repairs a widely reported freezing bug that has been noted by many users since the last update was issued.

As one reader commented to me in jest, perhaps Apple discovered that the Apple TV was secretly tracking the location of its watchers, requiring an appropriate software update before the feds get upset again : )

UPDATE

According to freshly released update information from Apple, 4.2.2 delivers the following:
    • Audio: Addresses an issue in which audio is not output when playing some video content.
    • Video playback: Addresses an issue in which video is not displayed when playing some content.
    • Audio output setting: Adds an audio output setting for switching to 16-bit audio for compatibility with some TVs and AV receivers.
    • Live FF/RW improvements: Improves the performance of fast-forwarding and rewinding live events.
    • Movie description: Addresses an issue in which the description information is not displayed for some movies.
    • YouTube video order: Addresses an issue in which YouTube subscription videos were not ordered by date.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-11-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks

Sneaky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Hopefully it adds something new because upgrading appletv doesn't really benefit much.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Where is the 4.3.3 update for the Apple TV? I want it to stop tracking me everywhere I go.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My apple tv2g power it self on from time to time idk why? I hate keep having to turn on my tv and changing the video setting and putting it to sleep every time it does this!!! It's on right now!!

Thanks

Is there as of yet much benefit to jailbreaking the Apple TV2? I have one and have thought about it but I have yet to hear any news of anything worth while to do with it once it's jailbroken. Am I wrong in this? Are there cool benefits for jailbreaking it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Is there as of yet much benefit to jailbreaking the Apple TV2? I have one and have thought about it but I have yet to hear any news of anything worth while to do with it once it's jailbroken. Am I wrong in this? Are there cool benefits for jailbreaking it?
    My wife tells me jailbreaking the apple tv 2 was the best thing I've done in terms of my techy crap yet. It wouldn't be worth it unjailbroken.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there any benefit you ask?
    1. Jailbroke ATV2
    2. Installed XBMC
    3. Running Playon for video/Webstation streaming (Think Hulu and then some!)
    4. Got rid of cablevision, but kept cable modem service!
    Benefit to me? Lowered my cable bill, AND more to watch on my TV!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    does it have anything to do with the government mandated tracking "bug fix?"

Green Apple
    Thanks

ATV2 + XBMC + PlayOn + SickBeard + Netflix = Heaven.

With all of that, I said goodbye to cable. I also purchased a $40 digital antenna, and get 35+ local broadcast digital channels, so I don't even have to miss that old feeling of flipping through channels.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Hopefully it adds something new because upgrading appletv doesn't really benefit much.
    like most of their updates...
    What's an iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I still can't get the LAST version of AppleTV2 to jailbreak, and I REALLY miss the XBMC I had for a while. I'm on Windows, what works right now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by modmongrel View Post
    I still can't get the LAST version of AppleTV2 to jailbreak, and I REALLY miss the XBMC I had for a while. I'm on Windows, what works right now?
    Seas0npass works well

Thanks

Default help!
    I have the latest firmware on my apple tv and it cannot jailbreak with seasonpass! It's saying the build isn't valid, even though it is the latest firmware, it won't even restore from the firmware itunes downloads. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The trick I do to jailbreak with seasonpas is plug in USB and power. Then before I do the iTunes restore I unplug the power. Just make sure you don't unplug the USB by mistake!
    Last edited by Brian3dee; 05-13-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Additional info

Thanks

I have 
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep... It still sucks.