+ Reply
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 273

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Microsoft Latest Ad: Buy a PC instead of a Mac and go to Hawaii with the Savings

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by wakka102 This is the main reason I will never buy another Apple computer again unless they seriously change things. I got a 2009 Macbook Pro that cost
...
  1. #241
    What's Jailbreak? ShredNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wakka102 View Post
    This is the main reason I will never buy another Apple computer again unless they seriously change things. I got a 2009 Macbook Pro that cost me 2400$, I bought a PC for 2000$ which includes a 24 inch 1080p monitor this year. I feel my Macbook Pro purchase was a total waste, the fact that I bought a PC less than 2 years later that is at least 10 times more powerful and cheaper tells me that Apple is a scam as far as their computer market goes. Their mobile devices are still awesome, as I own an iPhone 4 and love it, but I will avoid their computers from this point forward. It's rather funny when I open up my Macbook Pro next to someone else who has one and they ask me how I like my Mac, and I shock them by saying it was a waste of my money. It's not a bad computer but its certainly not worth the money spent on it.

    Also this is just my personal opinion, but I find that Windows OS is better than OS X. For every type of program that I want to use on a Mac I can find 5 programs to choose from on the PC. For video editing, even the PC is superior. In my experience with each (which is extensive) I find Sony Vegas>Final Cut Pro.
    Well, first of all you just compared a DESKTOP to a LAPTOP. That's assinine. Compare your tower to a MacPro. Your PC won't be smoking anything but it's own processors trying to keep up, in vain. There's a reason high end visuals are done nearly exclusively on on a Mac. TV, music, Hollywood, ect. Well, the answer is simple. PC can't.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

  2. #242
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    That's kind of harsh don't you think SB? I'm almost 30, I use my MBP for work/play and I love shooting aliens in the face. How does you stopping playing games at 16 have any meaningful impact of the cost of PC's, what they are good for and how they are used? The answer is, nothing. Just because you don't play games and components/full pcs are relatively cheap doesn't mean it's a tick in the box against PC's in general. If you don't use your personal computer for games AND play doesn't mean others that do don't have a system that holds the same value or is as good.

    Everything else aside, that advertisement is brilliant. What a good tongue in cheek bit of humor the person who thought of that has! I hope that person continues in the ad business because that's a great ad.
    Harsh? Naw.

    I am just drawing the correlation between an importance of gaming in a computer system to an individual, with immaturity and the companioning meager bank account balance. The ad is great but assure you that most people buying a $400 PC are doing it because thats about every penny they have and certainly are not going on trips to Hawaii (maybe Taco Bell).

    Seriously though, If you are proud and happy to open up that Acer laptop and rock windows, more power to you.

  3. #243
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Well, first of all you just compared a DESKTOP to a LAPTOP. That's assinine. Compare your tower to a MacPro. Your PC won't be smoking anything but it's own processors trying to keep up, in vain. There's a reason high end visuals are done nearly exclusively on on a Mac. TV, music, Hollywood, ect. Well, the answer is simple. PC can't.
    Not sure where you get that from, Mac's and PC's can both run the exact same hardware, the only difference is you are paying more for the same hardware on the mac. Maybe some people prefer to use Final Cut, but that's really the only advantage your going to get.
    Last edited by wakka102; 05-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.

  4. #244
    What's Jailbreak? ShredNasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wakka102 View Post
    Not sure where you get that from, Mac's and PC's can both run the exact same hardware, the only difference is you are paying more for the same hardware on the mac. Maybe some people prefer to use Final Cut, but that's really the only advantage your going to get.
    You're right. Laptops and desktops are the same and Macs and PCs run the same hardware. 99% of the entertainment industry uses Mac because they look cool. It has nothing to do with octocore processors or 32Gbs of RAM. Psh, Sony VIAOs have eleventycore processors and infinity RAM. And Avatar was made on a Dell netbook. Dell netbooks have the same stuff one of those rip-off MBPs have.

    You have no idea WTF you're talking about. I obviously lost you when I told you comparing a desktop to a laptop was dumb. And it is. Very dumb.

    EDIT; comparing a NEW desktop to a 2+ year old laptop none the less! Do you also tell people you know nearly nothing about computers when they ask about your Mac? You should.

    Lemme break it down, because I really don't think you get this. Laptops are built for portability. Desktops are built for performance. BIG desktop, littly tiny laptop. You cannot fit the same hardware in a laptop, because it's small and built for.......PORTABILITY. It usually takes 2-3 years before tech advances enough to be fit into a laptop case. That is why an iPhone doesn't have a quad core processor. (YET!) It's also why laptops don't have 2Tbs internal storage. (YET!) Get it yet? You were going backwards comparing a 2 year old laptop to a new desktop. Especially a $2000 PC. You can get a quad core PC for $1000, so I'm interested to know the specs of your desktop. A more fair comparison would be a 2 year old desktop vs a new laptop.
    Last edited by ShredNasty; 05-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ShredNasty For This Useful Post:

    Rob2G (05-09-2011)

  6. #245
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Harsh? Naw.

    I am just drawing the correlation between an importance of gaming in a computer system to an individual, with immaturity and the companioning meager bank account balance. The ad is great but assure you that most people buying a $400 PC are doing it because thats about every penny they have and certainly are not going on trips to Hawaii (maybe Taco Bell).

    Seriously though, If you are proud and happy to open up that Acer laptop and rock windows, more power to you.
    So those that look at gaming performance in a computer are immature and have no money? That's pretty harsh in my book. Prejudice even. I had an HP laptop that was well worth the money I paid for it, it couldn't play games though. My next computer was a $3000 MacBook Pro and one requirement I had was that I be able to game on it. Seems like you've got some prejudice against those that choose to pursue hobbies and entertainment that's different from your tastes. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro now and I damn sure wouldn't have it if it wouldn't play games well enough to satisfy me. I also have a $400 HP Home Server because it was so cheap and fit my needs. I understand you're 'successful' in whatever endeavors you're in, but because you don't game and have disposable income doesn't mean that those who don't have alot of money to spend on a MacBook or don't think the performance is good enough for the cash outlay compared to competitors means that they're poor or immature. It means their priorities are different from yours. I respect your opinions but it smacks of prejudice to me. I think gaming performance is very important and I'm not poor or immature.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

  7. #246
    iPhone Underground A3gOwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Underground
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I agree somewhat. I had to browbeat my Mom into buying an iMac because it was so 'expensive' compared to a similar spec PC. She is not hurting for money by any stretch of the imagination, she's very well off because of hard work and spending her money wisely. After a year she's very happy with it, but still says it would have been much cheaper to purchase an equivalent PC.

    I had the cash to buy any PC on the market, sans boutique gaming PCs, and one of my requirements was that the MBP had to have half decent video card because I would be gaming on it. Maybe not everyone does that, but at the $3003 out the door price it better damn well do everything my old PC could do and more. Thankfully Apple replaced my 2009 MBP with a 2011 MBP after many, many issues and I was happy to see Apple have a card that wasn't woefully underpowered comparatively. I use mine for work and play and bank accounts don't have anything to do with it, it's personal preference. Maybe I took your comment the wrong way but it seemed like you were insinuating that only immature people without alot of cash buy PCs. That couldn't be farther from the truth in my experience. I saved for a very long time to buy my MBP and only pulled the trigger when I found out it was an okay gaming rig.
    A gaming rig? A laptop no don't think so. People need to realize laptops aren't made to be gamers.

  8. #247
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    A gaming rig? A laptop no don't think so. People need to realize laptops aren't made to be gamers.
    Do you play games on a MacBook Pro? Because I do on mine and it works just fine thank you. I get plenty of performance in every single one of the 15 games I have installed on mine and have nary a complaint about how fast it is.

    All these are played at 1900x1200 and all graphics turned up to max save SC2 which is on high everything but still native 1900x1200

    Left 4 Dead 2= avg 40+ fps in big swarms

    Half Life 2/E1/E2= 80+ fps

    Portal 2= 40+ fps in big open areas, over 70 fps in the test chambers, and rock solid 30 fps when recording full res and sound with Fraps

    Fallout New Vegas= 45-50 fps everywhere

    Fallout 3=50+ everywhere

    StarCraft 2= 30+ in big battles, 50+ in small battles

    Half Life (original)=200+ fps at all times (bad example because it's so old, but still)

    Please tell me how that's 'not a gaming rig'? I'd like to know how my MacBook Pro isn't made for gaming, because in my experience it does the job very very well. If I turned off AA and turned the textures down a bit in all of those games I'd get another 20% improvement in fps. AA isn't really needed for me at that res and textures can be dialed back if need be but even without turning anything down it's a screamer. Especially for a laptop that's an inch thick and weighs less than a sack of concrete. It's a laptop 'gaming rig' if I've ever held one, that's for sure.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

  9. #248
    iPhone Underground A3gOwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Underground
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts

    No sorry I don't. I've got a ps3 for gaming. I use my mbp as a computer, I'm not saying you cant game on it. I was just stating that laptops aren't made for gaming, which is a fact.

  10. #249
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    No sorry I don't. I've got a ps3 for gaming. I use my mbp as a computer, I'm not saying you cant game on it. I was just stating that laptops aren't made for gaming, which is a fact.
    Actually you're wrong. There are plenty of laptops made for gaming and if it's a 'fact' they aren't made for gaming then you need to go talk to Apple. Last time I checked they were boasting about it's gaming performance on their website. How's that PS3 doing in playing online games...OH WAIT. While you poo poo about laptops not being gaming rigs your PS3 is completely unable to play online and won't be able to for the rest of the month. Seems my gaming rig is more capable than yours at gaming right now. Oh and by the way, I can drive my display on my MBP AND my 46" tv while playing with minimal frame rate hit. Do it all the time when friends are over. Your PS3 can't do that.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

  11. #250
    iPhone Underground A3gOwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Underground
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts

    Wow. My ps3 still works why wouldn't it? Psn is down yes but that doesn't effect my game rigs gaming ability. I still stand by laptops not made for gaming. Just because they can and do doesn't make them gaming rigs. I'd rather have a tower with sli'd/crossfire'd video cards, a ton of ram, and of course windows, than game on my mbp. That's just me tho too.

  12. #251
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    No sorry I don't. I've got a ps3 for gaming. I use my mbp as a computer, I'm not saying you cant game on it. I was just stating that laptops aren't made for gaming, which is a fact.
    hahahaha... you got me a good laugh. laptops aren't made for gaming? ARE YOU Fugginz KIDDING ME? My HP envy 17 runs up to 3 24 inch monitor at a 1080p resolution for gaming... and it cost around 1.8k while a MBP cost up to 2.5k n you can't do **** on it.

    I'm not hating on the MBP, it has it positives, but it's not the laptop that i would go with unless i got some spare changes...

    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Wow. My ps3 still works why wouldn't it? Psn is down yes but that doesn't effect my game rigs gaming ability. I still stand by laptops not made for gaming. Just because they can and do doesn't make them gaming rigs. I'd rather have a tower with sli'd/crossfire'd video cards, a ton of ram, and of course windows, than game on my mbp. That's just me tho too.
    well did you ever get a good laptop? or just MBP... just becuz it's overprice doesn't mean it's good. i believe ur just pissed cuz you bought the MBP . tell me what makes tower and laptops gaming different?. while both can handle graphic at max, both support multi-screen output, laptops are portable, laptops are slimmer. if you say PC aren't made for gaming, then you're a hater, BUT you said laptops aren't made for gaming, but tower pc are... then how?
    Last edited by dustin4vn; 05-10-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #252
    What's Jailbreak? lucky_phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Why Not To Buy A Mac
    I'm just going to leave this here.

  14. #253
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,906
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    ^thats why you get the upgrades elsewhere than directly through Apple

    Nonetheless just bc it's a bit pricier than you would prefer to afford doesn't mean it isn't a good computer. With the OS + the hardware it may look like a PC can par up to it with the same specs. Truthfully you may not admit it but Mac OS + Hardware = smooth sailing/fast action

    Windows naturally is just a heavier OS. also the need for antiviruses will slow any computer down. Just bc Mac and PC can pack the same guns doesn't mean they'll run the same way.

    You can't expect just bc a truck has a bigger and more powerful engine that it's faster than a sports car, can you? Bigger and heavier bodies weigh the truck down, and that's just one of the many factors.

    Oh yeah, and the whole desktop for $2000 and MBP for $2400... Yeah bet in a year from now your MBP will still resell for more than your desktop. Just sayin.

  15. #254
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts

    Ya know, it's funny. I have both a pc laptop and an air. I posted my experiences with both. And the fanboys just stick their fingers in their ears and say lalalala. To those who think windows 7 can't compete with OSX are fooling themselves. And to those who think a Mac is just overpriced hardware are also, just fooling themselves.

  16. #255
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Wow. My ps3 still works why wouldn't it? Psn is down yes but that doesn't effect my game rigs gaming ability. I still stand by laptops not made for gaming. Just because they can and do doesn't make them gaming rigs. I'd rather have a tower with sli'd/crossfire'd video cards, a ton of ram, and of course windows, than game on my mbp. That's just me tho too.
    I agree. I really wish my water-cooled PC didn't spring a leak and die. It was a great PC and the SLI ares I had were fast, yet my MBP is just as fast as that one was. I didn't have re best cards but it didn't do anything I can't do on my MBP just as well. I plan on building another custom PC soon since I can reuse the case and alot of other stuff, but for right now my MBP works great. I don't think it was a waste at all.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

  17. #256
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_phil View Post
    I'm just going to leave this here.
    I like the last few lines. Replace Mac with PC and the exact same thing is true. ALL hardware has a life cycle, not just on a Mac. I agree with the upgrades being woefully overpriced but almost no one buys RAM and storage space from Apple. At least no one I know does.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

  18. #257
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,906
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weasel View Post
    Ya know, it's funny. I have both a pc laptop and an air. I posted my experiences with both. And the fanboys just stick their fingers in their ears and say lalalala. To those who think windows 7 can't compete with OSX are fooling themselves. And to those who think a Mac is just overpriced hardware are also, just fooling themselves.
    By no means do I feel win7 isn't worth it. I still use it even if I didn't *have* to for school. I use it for personal use sometimes too. I believe it's a heavier OS and it is slower to boot and execute but I don't believe it sucks.

    My issue is with people comparing the two incorrectly with analogies that don't entirely make sense.

    I myself think the base model MacBook (white) is overpriced but not the aluminum models. But I do believe PC's are simply not worth my money. Meaning: The win7 OS is worth my purchase, just not the hardware of a PC.

  19. #258
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts

    My PC is slightly slower to boot than the air, but I suspect that is due in large part to a hybrid drive vs a pure ssd. We are only talking about a 10 sec difference as well. As far as execution, I don't have a real comparison as my pc has a hybrid drive and the air has a ssd, but the air is slightly faster to load photoshop, and slightly slower to perform the same task.
    I don't paticularly think the macs are overpriced. You set your prices to what the market will bear, and I don't see any shortage of people getting in line to purchase Apple products

  20. #259
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    So those that look at gaming performance in a computer are immature and have no money? That's pretty harsh in my book. Prejudice even. I had an HP laptop that was well worth the money I paid for it, it couldn't play games though. My next computer was a $3000 MacBook Pro and one requirement I had was that I be able to game on it. Seems like you've got some prejudice against those that choose to pursue hobbies and entertainment that's different from your tastes. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro now and I damn sure wouldn't have it if it wouldn't play games well enough to satisfy me. I also have a $400 HP Home Server because it was so cheap and fit my needs. I understand you're 'successful' in whatever endeavors you're in, but because you don't game and have disposable income doesn't mean that those who don't have alot of money to spend on a MacBook or don't think the performance is good enough for the cash outlay compared to competitors means that they're poor or immature. It means their priorities are different from yours. I respect your opinions but it smacks of prejudice to me. I think gaming performance is very important and I'm not poor or immature.
    No worries bro. I am a mac snob and a fanboy. I have never denied that. Friends?

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

    moon#pie (05-11-2011)

  22. #260
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,906
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weasel View Post
    My PC is slightly slower to boot than the air, but I suspect that is due in large part to a hybrid drive vs a pure ssd. We are only talking about a 10 sec difference as well. As far as execution, I don't have a real comparison as my pc has a hybrid drive and the air has a ssd, but the air is slightly faster to load photoshop, and slightly slower to perform the same task.
    I don't paticularly think the macs are overpriced. You set your prices to what the market will bear, and I don't see any shortage of people getting in line to purchase Apple products
    I see what you're saying. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. That's why I use both. But I would much rather run both on one single device, to choose which hardware it'd be a Mac. I don't like what most PC's are made out of (usually plastic) which is why I don't like the white MacBook at all. The aluminum bodies are just nicer for me, feels cleaner too.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts