+ Reply
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Latest Ad: Buy a PC instead of a Mac and go to Hawaii with the Savings

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Mac OC is gaining ground over Windows. It doesn't matter who will won the battle, I own both Microsoft & Apple stocks.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Mac OC is gaining ground over Windows. It doesn't matter who will won the battle, I own both Microsoft & Apple stocks.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    The greatest problem in most of these arguments is that pc people just don't get it. Keep replacing the "superior machines" every three years then buy a Mac. Two years ago, a man brought an Apple 2e into an apple store because he wanted a bigger hd. That comp was over two decades old. Apple sells long-lasting solutions. What's under the hood doesn't matter at all because the os runs correctly.
    In this regard:

Apple = BMW
    PC = Ford

Sure the mustang may be faster, but in three years time, I'd put money that the Beamer still drives like new.
    This simply isn't true. Sure, 5 years ago when the tech industry was able to improve itself significantly year after year a PC was outdated a few months later(much as Apple's refreshes are happening now). I have been running the i7 for a year and a half now and Apple is just now catching up. You are paying BMW prices for a KIA. I am paying KIA prices for a BMW. This cannot be argued no matter how you wish to try to slant it. If Apple ever wakes up and becomes reasonable in their pricing I will jump aboard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Not trying to argue, but it's not the same performance. It seems like it, but it isn't. Purely based on using the Mac and not the numbers and specs...that's what counts.
    That has more to do with The software than hardware. If the software is more efficient then the machine is going to run faster. It's kinda like android and iOS there are like 4 products iOS runs on and runs good. Compared to the 100+ that android runs on and runs ok. Its the same with computers windows runs on almost anything intel based (8086 x86_64) and apple runs on like what maybe 10 devices natively. (hackintosh is not considered native) granted osx is bsd/unix based so it should run on almost anything with a recompile.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

That's is why I changed to Mac...

Welcome PCs never is to late...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Right. But if we are looking at it from a consumer's POV and not from tech savvy people, if we didn't look at price or specs, overall IMO Mac runs smoother. Faster. Forget about software hardware differences, that's just how it feels to me.

Thanks

Right. But if we are looking at it from a consumer's POV and not from tech savvy people, if we didn't look at price or specs, overall IMO Mac runs smoother. Faster. Forget about software hardware differences, that's just how it feels to me.
    That's because osx was designed to run on only that hardware so it will run "smoother faster etc". It's all about r&d there.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this reminds me of the Mantle/Mays debate. You can go on forever and both ppl will think they are right. as far as video games being the deciding factor of which computer to buy is just stupid. I have a ps3 for video games and bluray movies, i have a computer for business. just my $0.02

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Correct but I'm not asking for an explanation. I'm explaining that from a consumer point of view the technical details is irrelevant.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Revolutionary? Battlefield 3 says Hi. A true fps and truly revolutionary game. I'll take Bad Company 2 over CoD any day (until BF3 comes out)
    (just a quick heads up battlefield sucks except for the sniping)

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

Correct but I'm not asking for an explanation. I'm explaining that from a consumer point of view the technical details is irrelevant.
    I know but what I'm trying to say is that if a consumer is going to spend $3000 on a computer they should know what they are getting and why. You would be a fool to buy a $3000 mbp to just do a little surfing and emailing when you can spend less than $1000 on a machine that will do that just aswell (fast and smooth too) as the next.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I agreed1
    I would rather buy a MAC and then split the HD into 2 partition and then 1 for MAC and the other for Windows (because i need it for work) and school!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post

Microsoft’s Canadian website is now advertising the merits of Windows PC’s over that of Apple computers by comparing various models and configurations. This kind of advertising is nothing new of course, however, the PC’s that Microsoft has chosen to compare are hardly evenly match machines. Mac’s have always fetched a higher price than rivals, but it’s all about what you get for your money that really counts.

Microsoft argues that with the money you save by buying a PC instead of a Mac, you’ll be able to use that savings to go on a Hawaiian vacation instead. The tag line, “Surf the web or surf Hawaii,” is Microsoft’s attempt to entice customers to chose a PC over a higher priced Mac.

If your only concern is price then the choice is obvious, go with the PC and you’ll save some hard-earned cash in the process. However, Apple doesn’t have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry for nothing. Microsoft is well aware of this fact and would rather that people focus on the price instead of the specs.

Over the last few years, Apple has steadily chipped away at Microsoft’s dominance and their latest ad campaign clearly indicates that they consider Apple to be a serious threat. Microsoft’s market share may still be close to 90%, but Apple maintains a considerable lead when with it comes to portable devices like the iPhone and iPad. Does Microsoft really have anything to worry about? Probably not, but where would they get their best ideas from if it weren’t for Apple?

Source: TUAW

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Ok, example. Show me a link to unreal tournament on Mac.
    Show me a link to COD Modern Warfare 2 on Mac.
    Show me a link to Postal 2 on Mac. (Postal 2 not Portal 2)
    Show me a link to Duke Nukem 3D on Mac.
    Show me a link to Operation Flashpoint on Mac.

Want links to them on PC? I can give you thousands and thats only 5 games. There are millions of PC games out there but there are not millions of Mac games. If your lucky there will be 1000 or so games on Mac...

BTW, I said MAC games NOT iPhone games.
    I stopped playing games when I was 16. I use my MBP for work. So yes, I suppose PCs are better for kids because they are cheap and you can play shootem up games. Congrats.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

bdwayneh (05-08-2011), javiert30 (05-08-2011), moon#pie (05-09-2011), Rob2G (05-08-2011), thetoothfairy (05-08-2011)

Thanks

My .02

I have an iPhone 3gs, and iPad, a ultimate Macbook Air 13, an Asus g71gx, and a put together server running server 08 r2 for storing backups and media.. And yes, time machine will back up to a NTFS drive.
    First off, I would have never gotten an iPad or the air if not for the iPhone. Give one to apple for marketing genius.
    That being said, you really can't compare the g71gx and the air. The g71gx is 2 years old and was $1200 new, the air was 1800 IIRC. They both have core 2 duo's. The g71 has 6 gigs of ram, the air has 4. The g71 has a gtx 260m, the air has a geforce 320m. The g71gx has a 500 gig hybrid drive(Seagate Momentus XT), of course the air has ssd. Snow Leopard vs Windows 7 SP1 64 bit.
    Both are rock stable, neither kernal panic or blue screen. The PC runs Microsoft Security Essentials, the Mac runs nothing. Neither one gets viruses.
    As far as performance, the 2 year old g71 curb stomps the air in any benchmark you choose aside from disk performance.
    However, the air lasts 7 hrs on a battery, the g71 lasts 1. The g71 is not convienient to carry around and use outside of the home. The air is. If I cared about such things, the air draws more attention. But I'm not a 20 year old hipster doofus, so I really don't. They both have their purposes and both fill them well. Gun to the head, had to pick one? I'd go with the one that is faster and outperforms every time. But I don't. I have the best of both worlds.
    Oh, and if I need to run something Mac and don't have the Air, I have both Snow Leopard and Lion in virtual machines for VMware, and if I have the Air, I have Windows 7 64 bit in boot camp.
    With that being said, carry on fanboys and girls on both sides. Funny readings here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    From my experience most Mac users have spent a lot of time using Windows, but very few Windows's users have spent much time, if any, using Mac's and Mac OS X.

Many use the fact that it might take a little time to get used to any new OS as a failing of some sort.

I use both Mac OS X and Windows 7. Neither OS is perfect and neither OS alone does what I need it to do. Both have their uses, their pluses and their minuses.

These Mac Vs PC, Xbox Vs PS3, iPhone Vs Android or whatever "debates" (and I use the term loosely) only end up doing one thing, and that's fueling stupidity, arrogance and ignorance. Very few people it seems can actually have a normal discussion about two rivaling things without becoming fanboys that are both blind to their own things failings and also un-accepting of their competitors superiorities. That goes for both sides of the coin.
    Only post worth anything in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    This simply isn't true. Sure, 5 years ago when the tech industry was able to improve itself significantly year after year a PC was outdated a few months later(much as Apple's refreshes are happening now). I have been running the i7 for a year and a half now and Apple is just now catching up. You are paying BMW prices for a KIA. I am paying KIA prices for a BMW. This cannot be argued no matter how you wish to try to slant it. If Apple ever wakes up and becomes reasonable in their pricing I will jump aboard.
    Why do you bother using an iPhone? You can get more features from other phones with better specs. iPhone is behind the times compared to several other phones on the market.
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 05-08-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

bdwayneh (05-08-2011), feidhlim1986 (05-09-2011), Rob2G (05-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post

Apple = BMW
    PC = Ford

Sure the mustang may be faster, but in three years time, I'd put money that the Beamer still drives like new.
    ummmm my M3 would smoke a mustang

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    ummmm my M3 would smoke a mustang
    I was about to say the same thing.

Thanks

This flame war needs to stop. We guys get worked up for nothing and making yourselves look stupid and arrogant.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I'm still laughing at the part about how Mac's have better hardware then PC's do. Many times I have "configured" a MacBook Pro to a specific PC configuration and either the hardware in both computers were closely the same or the PC hardware was always better (better graphic choices, better wireless choices, better screen choices, Blu-ray choices, etc) and the PC was still way cheaper.

Apple products are WAY overpriced, period! I mean charging 3 grand for a notebook went out 10 years ago (in the Windows world) yet Apple is still doing it (then again people are still chumps and paying it.) The only market they will continue to dominate is the mobile market, they will never even come close to the computer market. And that's fine, they do mobile devices better than Microsoft, each company has their place.
    "Don't hold it like that!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    I'm still laughing at the part about how Mac's have better hardware then PC's do. Many times I have "configured" a MacBook Pro to a specific PC configuration and either the hardware in both computers were closely the same or the PC hardware was always better (better graphic choices, better wireless choices, better screen choices, Blu-ray choices, etc) and the PC was still way cheaper.

Apple products are WAY overpriced, period! I mean charging 3 grand for a notebook went out 10 years ago (in the Windows world) yet Apple is still doing it (then again people are still chumps and paying it.) The only market they will continue to dominate is the mobile market, they will never even come close to the computer market. And that's fine, they do mobile devices better than Microsoft, each company has their place.

What part do they do better than others on concerning mobile products? Its certainly not price or specs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    What part do they do better than others on concerning mobile products? Its certainly not price or specs.
    Games? I'd like to know too.