+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMac Refresh Adds Thunderbolt, Faster Processors, and Graphics

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by hoangtanle it's a nifty machine that doesn't have a tower. I wonder why people hate on iMac's and be so negative about the iMac. if it has
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoangtanle View Post
    it's a nifty machine that doesn't have a tower. I wonder why people hate on iMac's and be so negative about the iMac. if it has no interest in them, they shouldn't say anything at all and let the rest of the people who are fans of iMac's be happy. buzzkill.
    It's the windows dolts that have no clue what owning a trouble free computer you don't have to constantly monitor or fix is like. One of which doesn't take up half the floor by your desk for the tower and 300 cables in the floor running up the walls putting off enough heat to fry eggs while looking like a school locker with no aesthetics whatsoever. Something that doesn't need you to spend half the day looking for a driver because everything JUST WORKS since it was all built together to being with and software and drivers were written specifically for that machine.

All tied up in a minimal, sleek, sexy, cutting edge top of the line package that "for some reason" everyone with any taste that can afford, ......WANTS.

As I look down the line of operating systems of the nay sayers "Windows, windows, windows". OOOooooo big surprise. You can build an ugly 4wd truck and run it through the mud if you want, I'll take my BMW.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    It's the windows dolts that have no clue what owning a trouble free computer you don't have to constantly monitor or fix is like. One of which doesn't take up half the floor by your desk for the tower and 300 cables in the floor running up the walls putting off enough heat to fry eggs while looking like a school locker with no aesthetics whatsoever. Something that doesn't need you to spend half the day looking for a driver because everything JUST WORKS since it was all built together to being with and software and drivers were written specifically for that machine.

All tied up in a minimal, sleek, sexy, cutting edge top of the line package that "for some reason" everyone with any taste that can afford, ......WANTS.

As I look down the line of operating systems of the nay sayers "Windows, windows, windows". OOOooooo big surprise. You can build an ugly 4wd truck and run it through the mud if you want, I'll take my BMW.
    I have used Mac os for 20+ years and I don't hate iMac but I think it's not useful to a power user. That's why I built one. My previous post isn't hating iMacs, I was just pointing out towers have benefits. You can have a sexy tower they don't have to be ugly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Having my own IT company that started with building PCs, I can honestly say, the reliabilty of these iMacs is second to none. I've built my own hackintosh and had top spec PCs. I now run my business on my iMac and it's a dream. Sure, they cost a packet. And sure,if your a young kid or learning IT, go build your own. It's great fun and good experience. When your sick of living with a tower that has the side off so often you've thrown away the screws, and you have earnt enough to afford one, treat yourself!
    Last edited by beninspain; 05-03-2011 at 04:42 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beninspain For This Useful Post:

hoangtanle (05-03-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I have used Mac os for 20+ years and I don't hate iMac but I think it's not useful to a power user. That's why I built one. My previous post isn't hating iMacs, I was just pointing out towers have benefits. You can have a sexy tower they don't have to be ugly.
    Definitely, there are a lot of benefits of building a tower. The majority of users are just basic users who used to surf the web or watch movies and tv shows. This is the perfect machine if you could afford it. Yes, you can build a more powerful machine but comes with power, there's a lot of things you have to worry about. If you have a fast computer, you need components to support your speed. I use both windows and mac but Macs are so much more reliable and you have the piece of mind that you won't catch a virus and whatnot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what about the sexy "Caucasian" MacBook! it's been almost a year since last refresh!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    so when is the Air refresh coming out?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Sandy
    Where's my Sandy Bridge??????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nyra98 View Post
    Where's my Sandy Bridge??????
    In your pants

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob2g View Post
    in your pants :d
    lol!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

whats up with all the weak cpu? I understand MBP having 2.2 and 2.7ghz because its a mobile device. imacs are non mobile device and they are only clocking in i5 at 2.5ghz? 2.7ghz? you have to spend $2000 to get a i5 3.1ghz? really apple? stock intel cpu i5-2500 is 3.3ghz and with a clockable version you can do 4.5ghz. The frame looks good but the internals are not.
    Last edited by anekin007; 05-03-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 728 Posts

*starts clapping and everyone joins I'n*.

Very well said to my point of view

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    whats up with all the weak cpu? I understand MBP having 2.2 and 2.7ghz because its a mobile device. imacs are non mobile device and they are only clocking in i5 at 2.5ghz? 2.7ghz? you have to spend $2000 to get a i5 3.1ghz? really apple? stock intel cpu i5-2500 is 3.3ghz and with a clockable version you can do 4.5ghz. The frame looks good but the internals are not.
    It turbo boosts to 3.8ghz when needed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    It turbo boosts to 3.8ghz when needed.
    iMac 21.5" -

2.5ghz has the intel i5-2400s, turbo at 3.3ghz
    2.7ghz has the intel i5-2500s. turbo at 3.7ghz
    2.8ghz has the intel i7-2600s. turbo at 3.8ghz

iMac 27"

2.7ghz has the intel i5-2500s turbo at 3.7ghz
    3.1ghz has the intel i5-2400 turbo at 3.4ghz
    3.4ghz has the intel i7-2600 turbo at 3.8ghz

Only the i7 has it up to 3.8ghz. Like I said weak cpu. They are using the S models. They could have atleast use the regular instead the S models since they are the same price. TDP is only 30w more which is not a big deal for a desktop. That would have been a way better refresh. You have to spend $2000 just to have a non S model cpu.The upgrade prices are a joke.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I think most people know the upgrade prices are high on Apple products. But don't care.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

iMac 21.5" -

2.5ghz has the intel i5-2400s, turbo at 3.3ghz
    2.7ghz has the intel i5-2500s. turbo at 3.7ghz
    2.8ghz has the intel i7-2600s. turbo at 3.8ghz

iMac 27"

2.7ghz has the intel i5-2500s turbo at 3.7ghz
    3.1ghz has the intel i5-2400 turbo at 3.4ghz
    3.4ghz has the intel i7-2600 turbo at 3.8ghz

Only the i7 has it up to 3.8ghz. Like I said weak cpu. They are using the S models. They could have atleast use the regular instead the S models since they are the same price. TDP is only 30w more which is not a big deal for a desktop. That would have been a way better refresh. You have to spend $2000 just to have a non S model cpu.The upgrade prices are a joke.
    Ah I understand your point. I know the extra power savings is not needed but I suppose Apple views lower power consumption as more important than the extra speed. Apple's internals are always less than you could build on your own or find in a PC counterpart. For many people, its not a big deal and will gladly hand over 2k with a smile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All you guys can talk about are speed and graphics, but for real!! Where is the built-in blu-ray drive?! Give me a break Apple!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lele211 View Post
    All you guys can talk about are speed and graphics, but for real!! Where is the built-in blu-ray drive?! Give me a break Apple!!
    Yes!!! Apple does need to offer bluray, another bonus to having a tower Mac or hackintosh is the ability to add standard sized drives at will.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it would be nice to have a blu ray drive. but you know steve jobs, he doesn't like blu ray. lol

btw, enough about specs, we should see how fast a mac is to boot up and shuts down. hands down, a good machine, more on the expensive side but you pay for the name and customer service. overall. monster machine which could be improved but thunderbolt is just around the corner.
    Last edited by hoangtanle; 05-04-2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hoangtanle For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (05-04-2011)

Thanks

You can keep your BMW (iMac). I'll stick with my civic with a jdm type r and a turbo (custom built pc tower). Thanks by by. (don't get all bent, it's just a comparison).
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The hardware looks great indeed, but OSX needs a facelift. Hopefully Lion will bring that. Looking for drivers is a thing of the past. They are fetched for you now. My wife needs a new computer so I have to decide between the small screen or the larger screen.

That's the next refresh. AMD? That's my next question.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 05-04-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost