+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Safari Browser is the Portal for New Malware Attacks on Mac OS X Users

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Safari Browser is the Portal for New Malware Attacks on Mac OS X Users

A significant new security threat has been detected and its putting Mac users on high alert today. Mac antivirus and security developer Intego has "discovered a rogue anti-malware program" dubbed MACDefender. According to a report from the agency, MACDefender attacks Macs via "SEO poisoning" assaults. (NOTE: The malware described here is in NO WAY affiliated with MacDefender, makers of popular geocaching software).

When a user clicks on a link after performing a search on a search engine such as Google, this takes them to a web site whose page contains JavaScript that automatically downloads a file. In this case, the file downloaded is a compressed ZIP archive, which, if a specific option in a web browser is checked (Open “safe” files after downloading in Safari, for example), will open.
    Once the file is decompressed and the installer launches, users see what appears to be a friendly screen (see above image) prompting MACDefender setup (it should noted that because the software deceptively requires user agreement, the accompanying threat level warning for MACDefender surfaces as "low"). However, if the installation process is followed - a process that requires the entry of an administrator’s password - the software will call your computer its new home. And this is one digital house-guest you don't want.

This latest security threat represents yet another example of how malware sites are capitalizing on Safari's "Open Safe Files" feature. Nonetheless, if you have installed the MACDefender software, there's a good chance you'll be able to uninstall the unwanted "house guest" in just a few steps - the first of which is searching for and deleting any and all references to "MACDefender" on your system.

According to CNET:

Currently antivirus definitions for Intego's VirusBarrier X6 software are being updated to address this threat, and it is likely other legitimate antivirus software companies are doing the same for their programs. Therefore, if you run VirusBarrier or other antivirus utilities then be sure to check for an update soon, and run a full scan on your system to remove the MACDefender malware.
    Source: Intego, CNET

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

carolinamic (05-03-2011), turkey26 (05-02-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So the latest Mac virus still requires you to manually install it

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

dsg (05-02-2011), lightmaster (05-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought macs never get viruses

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wanna say I told u so.
    If you think your browser should decompress and open files it thinks are safe... haha well ur easy

actually if someone targeted your mac directly, it wouldn't be hard for them at all.
    Last edited by nmejunkie; 05-02-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

can we say firefox?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redhouse101 View Post
    can we say firefox?
    No we can say google chrome tho
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

bstunt10190 (05-02-2011), lightmaster (05-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    I thought macs never get viruses
    Only an ignorant Apple slave would say that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iliveudie For This Useful Post:

EddieLeonard (05-03-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wanna bet the next update to Safari removes the auto-run of "safe" files option.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is not a virus.. Stupid windows user are jumping all over this. You have to actually INSTALL it manually you morons.

Macs do NOT have viruses. A virus installs without human interaction.. only a stupid winblows user like yourself wouldn't know the difference.
    Last edited by jbardi; 05-02-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

friscosooner (05-02-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Being an old PC guy and only having a MAC for about a year I still am paranoid and regularly run ClamXav on my MAC. Its a free software for MAC virus detection. MAC's are not bullet proof! Just not as easy of a target...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Like everyone else said, can this really be called a dangerous virus if you have to manually install it? Let's put this in perspective, unless you went and searched "MACDefender" and went to an UNreputable download site (not like download.com, brothersoft, etc.) and downloaded it and then ran it, then you'd have nothing to worry about.

Needless to say if you have your browser set to automatically decompress/open ZIP, Jar, .gz, etc. files then you're really asking for it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

So, with all this talk about how to get the "virus", nobody said what the bloody thing actually does..
    my SPOON is too big

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    This is not a virus.. Stupid windows user are jumping all over this. You have to actually INSTALL it manually you morons.

Macs do NOT have viruses. A virus installs without human interaction.. only a stupid winblows user like yourself wouldn't know the difference.
    You call people morons yet throw terms like "winblows" and "stupid windows user" around.

Anyway, Safari defaulting to open files automatically is pretty damn bad.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 849 Posts

Considering how 98% of Mac users computer-illiterate and unwaveringly Apple-trusting, this should put a sizable dent in the hipster movement nationwide.

[/quote]

It's called "Malware" - us PC users know exactly what it is. Yes, it is malicious and a virus. And yes, you can install a virus manually. There's no requirement stating that viruses MUST be installed autonomously.

Sorry if I used big words.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 05-02-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

aidanski (05-02-2011), lightmaster (05-03-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    No we can say google chrome tho
    I love chrome, but I think chromium browser looks cooler.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Considering how 98% of Mac users computer-illiterate and unwaveringly Apple-trusting, this should put a sizable dent in the hipster movement nationwide.
    It's called "Malware" - us PC users know exactly what it is. Yes, it is malicious and a virus. And yes, you can install a virus manually. There's no requirement stating that viruses MUST be installed autonomously.

Sorry if I used big words.[/QUOTE]

Bleh! I hate malware

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It only took 8 posts till this Fanboy dropped this gem. When are these clowns gonna realize that many people use both Windows and OSX these days, and even if you don't, yet are above the above of puberty, don't have to take these ridiculous "sides" that one is better than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

Thanks

I switch between chrome and safari personally depends on what I am doing

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I switch between chrome and safari personally depends on what I am doing
    Chrome if you want speed, practicality and fun, Safari if you want malware, right?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Man of Sand For This Useful Post:

lightmaster (05-03-2011), ronfin44 (05-02-2011)

Thanks

That's correct lol

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast