+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Safari Browser is the Portal for New Malware Attacks on Mac OS X Users

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by javiert30 Tojan... Do you know the history of the Trojan horse? That's how a Tojan virus works... That's why it is called Trojan virus. It is a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Tojan...

Do you know the history of the Trojan horse?

That's how a Tojan virus works... That's why it is called Trojan virus. It is a virus
    Do you know the history of the trojan horse?
    The Greeks gave it as a gift to the Trojans, who had to accept it before it destroyed them
    A trojan and a virus are different
    up to your post, i have yet to see an explanation of the function of the malicious file. A trojan MAY contain a virus, or it can contain a backdoor, or the trojan itself can be a program downloading a virus

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by the first hit on googling "trojan"
    A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is a destructive program that masquerades as a benign application. The software initially appears to perform a desirable function for the user prior to installation and/or execution, but (perhaps in addition to the expected function) steals information or harms the system.[1] Unlike viruses or worms, Trojan horses do not replicate themselves, but they can be just as destructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    If you are a Mac user, you should know by now that the most common way to get a virus on a Mac is manually installing it. I wouldn't even install an antivirus in the first place so I would have just closed it and thrown it away. The day I get a virus from just opening a web page will be the day I can say OS X failed.

None. This so called "virus" is actually posing as an antivirus itsself. The one way I have prevented myself from getting viruses on my Mac is by not installinh antiviruses lol.
    just as he said

the best thing to do is use firefox and NoScript, or an equivilent extension on your favorite browser, should it exist. you'll find it blocks alot of annoying ads, unexpected bgmusic, and much more
    Last edited by dale2; 05-03-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    This is not a virus.. Stupid windows user are jumping all over this. You have to actually INSTALL it manually you morons.
    99.99% of Windows viruses have to be manually installed too. Who's the moron again?

Macs do NOT have viruses. A virus installs without human interaction.. only a stupid winblows user like yourself wouldn't know the difference.
    A virus installs without human interaction??? That has got to be the dumbest crap I have ever seen on modmyi. ROFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Tojan...

Do you know the history of the Trojan horse?

That's how a Tojan virus works... That's why it is called Trojan virus. It is a virus
    Actually a trojan is not a virus. You obviously do not know the difference between a trojan and a virus.
    Last edited by NegativeBeef; 05-03-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Considering how 98% of Mac users computer-illiterate and unwaveringly Apple-trusting, this should put a sizable dent in the hipster movement nationwide.
    Wow, right, guess that means I'm in the 2% club......, and everyone else I know....

Diny be a git!

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is not a virus.. Stupid windows user are jumping all over this. You have to actually INSTALL it manually you morons.

Macs do NOT have viruses. A virus installs without human interaction.. only a stupid winblows user like yourself wouldn't know the difference.
    Thank you good sir

Thanks
    Wouldn't really call it a virus if you had to install it yourself.

Thanks
    If being a Mac user makes me a Zombie then I'm fine with that. "Braaaains" *Om nom nom*

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <(O)> Device View Post
    Thank you good sir
    If being a Mac user makes me a Zombie then I'm fine with that. "Braaaains" *Om nom nom*
    Pretty sure you could of put all 3 of these awesome posts in one awesome post. I know you're trying to get your post count up and all but come on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Considering how 98% of Mac users computer-illiterate and unwaveringly Apple-trusting, this should put a sizable dent in the hipster movement nationwide.
    Oh no you didn't! You are NOT allowed to question Big Brother..er..Steve Jobs. BURN HEATHEN!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Pretty sure you could of put all 3 of these awesome posts in one awesome post. I know you're trying to get your post count up and all but come on.
    You got me cuff me officer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

weird they normally automerge

Thanks

Who shattered your windows?

Viruses don't HAVE to require non-human interaction to install themselves. And its not just a virus, its Malware meaning its malicious software that could be spyware, viruses, etc.

Not unless he's using an iphone or ipod. Then that one awesome post you fantasized about, splitted into three awesome posts.

Three's better than one!
    Last edited by The Amazing Atheist; 05-03-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default slightly wrong

You're slightly wrong...there are viruses for macs...but the number is insignificant.
    the reason for that is that mac os is based on linux (did you ever hear about it?? the open-source project that steve jobs and co. grabbed, modified, made rubbish and started selling to you??), which is pretty awesome...you should try it

Thanks

It's not Linux, it's based on the unix kernel, as is Linux. Yes, Linux is open source, but there's nothing against writing software from open source and selling it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whookids View Post
    You're slightly wrong...there are viruses for macs...but the number is insignificant.
    the reason for that is that mac os is based on linux (did you ever hear about it?? the open-source project that steve jobs and co. grabbed, modified, made rubbish and started selling to you??), which is pretty awesome...you should try it
    Oh yeah, I remember Linux,

I also remember how barely any common principles are compatible and supported "out of the box", I'm aware of the "anything can be made to work on Linux" stuff, but I'd rather it just did. Cany really be bothered writing a line of code every time I want my CD drive to open.

I'm afraid a couple of people I know have ruined Linux for me, a few to many conversations about how there watches and toasters run Linux :-/

I just want to know the time and eat some toast!!!

Haha :-)

Thanks

Haha! You are very right about Linux zealots!
    I used ubuntu for several years before going to Mac, and it is really getting close to that "out of the box" working. It is what started my moving away from windows. But, for now, Mac OSX works with everything, and frankly I don't have the time to re-learn Linux. I would never recommend it to anyone who can't fix their own machines, but if you have a PC, Ubuntu if a fantastic alternative to windows.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    It's not Linux, it's based on the unix kernel, as is Linux. Yes, Linux is open source, but there's nothing against writing software from open source and selling it...
    Even has Unix certification.

Mac OS X Leopard receives Unix certification | MacNN

For a while Apple even shares some of it's OS code to the public. I have to find it but can't remember the name of the OS that is built on the shared code.

OpenDarwin(Founded by Apple) and when that closed down PureDarwin came in.
    Last edited by Cer0; 05-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Virus
    Infects executables and can replicate itself via infected executable. Spreads by user intervention (aka moving infected executable to uninfected machine).

Worm
    Self-replicating program that spreads itself through networks. No user intervention needed.

Trojan Horse
    (Malicious) Software package masquerading as benign software. Trojans often carry malicious payloads, such as viruses, worms or other forms of malware.

Malware
    A catch-all category for malicious programs. Worms, tojans, viruses and spyware are all forms of malware.

As there is little information on what MACDefender actually does once installed, it can only be said to be a trojan, as it does not advertise itself truthfully and requires user intervention to be installed. Nothing is said to imply that the trojan contains any virus or worm that exploits a fundamental vulnerability in OS X. Safari, on the other hand, obviously has a few lax security policies that need to be tightened up. The Unix platform under OS X does its job by stopping the program and requiring the user's password before allowing it to continue. Don't install programs if you don't know what they are, simple.

Thanks

It turns out that idiocy, not the choice of operating system, is the number 1 cause of infected systems. There's no scientific study to back this up, but as someone who has used a PC and a MAC, I've never gotten a virus on either OS. It's about knowing what you're doing; if you don't, you'll get malware regardless of what OS you have installed.

/endunnecessaryapplevswindowsflamewarthathappensona dailybasisonthissite

If I have helped you, please consider the Thanks button

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NBAKingzFan10 View Post
    It turns out that idiocy, not the choice of operating system, is the number 1 cause of infected systems. There's no scientific study to back this up, but as someone who has used a PC and a MAC, I've never gotten a virus on either OS. It's about knowing what you're doing; if you don't, you'll get malware regardless of what OS you have installed.

/endunnecessaryapplevswindowsflamewarthathappensona dailybasisonthissite
    Wow your modest....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NBAKingzFan10 View Post
    Not true! I know many Mac users who are blissfully ignorant of the way their computer works, and have never gotten malware of ANY kind, and PC friends who are far more knowledgeable than me and have had many.

You can't put people into a cookie-cutter stereotype, you can however with computers.