+ Reply
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac vs PC: The Final Showdown

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by mr117 Just when it was calming down.... Again, opinions are just that. They are like ***holes: everyone's got one, but no one thinks THEIRS stinks. Use a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Just when it was calming down....

Again, opinions are just that. They are like ***holes: everyone's got one, but no one thinks THEIRS stinks.

Use a PC; use incorrect grammar; spend your money however you want. No one is saying you can't.

Come on an Apple site (iPhone=Apple) and rant about how bad Macs are, you'll get a response.

You are all using iPhones (Apple product), unless you are a troll just out to cause trouble. So Apple is not all bad.

A friend bought an Android after selling his iPhone, just told me he's tired of apps freezing and he's going to get another iPhone.

If you are going to argue a point, make sense (bad grammar or not). Saying Gates has more money than Jobs is a ridiculous argument. Because something sells better does not make it better. Popular does not equal better.

Also keep in mind that carriers (point made above) are often the sticky point.

But have a cogent argument, please. WHY do you think so? What is your experience with both products? What has led you to feel that one is better than the other? Or are we back to my Ford is bad, Chevy is good opinion, based purely on emotion and brand name?
    i didnt say it was better i said more people prefer it.. which if its more popular is true.. now better once again thats all about opinion.. im just saying fact is more people prefer windows over osx
    also i know im on a, ill call it mac site for the sake of this disagreement even though its an idevice site, but the majority of us have jb our iphones.. making them nothing like what apple wants them to be... and really all mac users use perfect grammar??

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I love how he just answered all the arguments in one post. And you are right. It makes no sense to come to an apple forum, start bashing macs and NOT expect a response. All my co-workers have android phones, but the reason they got them was because they were cheap. Not because they liked them better. If you can get a droid for $50-100 and an iPhone for $200-300, most of the general populous is going to get a droid. To them it just makes sense... And, if you have no preference, it does!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (04-28-2011), mr117 (04-28-2011)

Thanks

Not ALL Mac users, but I'd have to say most.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StayyyFlyyy View Post
    i didnt say it was better i said more people prefer it.. which if its more popular is true.. now better once again thats all about opinion.. im just saying fact is more people prefer windows over osx
    also i know im on a, ill call it mac site for the sake of this disagreement even though its an idevice site, but the majority of us have jb our iphones.. making them nothing like what apple wants them to be... and really all mac users use perfect grammar??
    More people use windows because it's cheaper. Most everyone I know who owns a Windows machine would much rather have a Mac. One person who I was trying to help buy a computer ended up a getting a toshiba, and now 2 months later wishes she had taken my advice and bought a Mac.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

He didn't say all Mac users have perfect grammar, he told you to just answer the question whether you have correct grammar or not, which you haven't answered the question.

Why do you think Mac isn't good and have you ever owned a Mac to have a legitimate reason?

Also I think you did imply PC is better by posting a pic that says choosing a Mac makes people g@y.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    He didn't say all Mac users have perfect grammar, he told you to just answer the question whether you have correct grammar or not, which you haven't answered the question.

Why do you think Mac isn't good and have you ever owned a Mac to have a legitimate reason?

Also I think you did imply PC is better by posting a pic that says choosing a Mac makes people g@y.
    that pic was a joke. I thought it was pretty funny but i guess mac users dont have a sense of humor. yes I currently own a mac, well I don't my wife does, but would rather do my work on my pc and yes I went to college took English classes have an education, dont see where I made a grammar mistake but don't really care as this is not an english essay of any kind. also I didn't say I am opposed to mac I just prefer pc as does the majority of the world not because it's cheap because it's very practical in every way

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Not to say "Mac users" don't have a sense of humor. I think your "sense of humor" is degrading to homosexual people. I would think someone with a wife wouldn't make a homosexual joke, but if youre homophobic that's fine, I'm not judging. I just don't like to use jokes that may be racist, gender-based, or sexual orientation-related.

You didn't say you were opposed to Mac but you said "Mac users" act holier than thou in a sarcastic manner.

You keep saying Mac users this Mac users that. Isn't that a form of opposing? That you think that "Mac users" don't have a sense of humor but you do?

Thanks

"Use a PC; use incorrect grammar; spend your money however you want. No one is saying you can't." Me.

"i love how all the "mac people" automatically throw themselves into this holier than thou category..." You.

"2nd you will have so many more options to do WHATEVER you please on a pc" is clearly your opinion, not a fact. I do whatever I please with my Mac, all the time. It meets my needs perfectly. I do recognize that that might not hold true for YOU, but you were talking about ME (as a Mac user).

"that pic was a joke. I thought it was pretty funny but i guess mac users dont have a sense of humor."

I have a great sense of humor. But...

Your picture was offensive- saying someone is "**y as a way of belittling them is just wrong. Saying someone is Mexican or Black or Jewish or Catholic or a woman or has a mental or physical disability as a means of belittling them is just as wrong. Wrong is not funny. To YOU perhaps it is funny, but it is demeaning and shows both bad taste on your part and a total lack of understanding by you about what is appropriate and what is not in a civilized society. Had I been a mod here (I mod somewhere else), I would have immediately removed the offending photo and issued you a warning. Yes, some people of (what I assume to be) your age use that word in what they consider a different and acceptable manner, but it is not. It's just wrong, and makes you look bigoted. Whether you understand that distinction or not is immaterial. It does. It's like calling a Black person the "N" word or a mentally handicapped person the "R" word and then saying, "well, I thought it was funny, I guess you don't have a sense of humor."

No. It makes you sound like a "person of diminished capacity" (I don't want to use the five-letter word starting with "m" and ending with "n" that has "oro" in the middle, as I would be just the same as you). Because I think it would be funny to call you that, (I have a Mac, but I guess I also have a sense of humor- who knew?) but it would be... wrong.

As to your grammar, as I already said, I'm not judging you on it. I recognize your errors of grammar and punctuation, but that's not an issue as I'm not grading you here. I'm only concerned with your logic and reasoning. In those areas, however, you have not proven yourself to be very convincing.

After all that, of course, please feel free to use a PC. I have no feelings about that one way or the other. However, I would prefer that you, as well, make no assumptions about me based on my use of my Mac.
    Senior

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

Donnutt (04-29-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ram_it View Post
    I have an iPhone and my next phone is going to be android based, freedom to source my apps etc how ever I choose, and not have to jailbreak my phone to do so fully liberating myself from the chains of apple and iTunes
    I am hoping you realize that for most Android phones other than the Nexus/Nexus S, that the bootloaders are locked, and cellphone carriers often block certain areas of the android market? It requires rooting the device in order to do the things you are hoping for.

How is rooting an Android any different than Jailbreaking an iOS device?

Damn you MoonPie, we are thinking on the same wavelength but you were about 7 hours ahead.. /Facepalm
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

mr117 (04-28-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I support this article

sometimes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    "2nd you will have so many more options to do WHATEVER you please on a pc" is clearly your opinion, not a fact. I do whatever I please with my Mac, all the time. It meets my needs perfectly. I do recognize that that might not hold true for YOU, but you were talking about ME (as a Mac user).
    anytime you have two repetitive words you MUST seperate them with aaaaaaa, can anybody guess?? COMMA!!!!!!!
    The fact of the matter is that you would like to once again act holier than thou! with your attempts at perfect english but who are you kidding.. this is the internet no one cares how grammatically correct you are here this isnt gonna help you get a job this isnt gonna help you raise kids it doesnt matter one bit. Ill say one last thing before i go because it is beyond obvious this is going absolutely nowhere and i very much cherish and contribute to this site and would see myself saying something to easily upset you both and probably a lot more people as my humor is not as "dry" as yours might be.

I am practical I am smart I have a good job a family a sense of humor
    those are facts whether you believe them or not doesnt really matter but all those are who i am. and i my friend have a pc

PC OUT!!@

p.s. grade me
    Last edited by StayyyFlyyy; 04-29-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks

"I do recognize that that might not hold true for YOU" is grammatically correct. If I wrote, "that, that" it would make no sense. Incorrect use of commas is endemic in the English language. I had a professor who spent weeks in an advanced writing course I was taking teaching us the correct use of commas.

I am not "holier than thou." If my grammar and punctuation are correct, that's just my education and OCD when it comes to writing. I write texts the same way. It doesn't make me better than you, as I keep pointing out. Using correct grammar WILL help you get a job (as I constantly point out to my students, especially the ones in my writing classes). Errors of grammar and/or punctuation are glaring when you fill out a job application or participate in a job interview. Here, on this forum, it does not matter as much, but readers do form an opinion of you and your ideas based on how you present them.

My humor can be dry, but it can also be quite earthy. If you mean that my dry humor precludes my enjoyment of a joke in which one group of computer users is belittled by choosing the "wrong" computer and thus become (or simply are) **y," well, it's simply NOT funny. It's not MY sense of humor that is the issue, it is YOURS, Calling someone **y as a means of saying they are somehow bad, or not as good as "us," is wrong.

As to you as a person, I have made no comments. You may be reading things into my comments that I have not placed there.

I know you have a PC. You keep telling us you have a PC. And I keep telling you that I don't judge people based on the brand of computer they use. I do judge them on their social behavior, however.

"Grade me?" Grammar and punctuation: D-; organizational skills: C; logic of your argument: F; sense of humor: F

Oh, and you did not "upset" me. I'm not "easily upset." However, your lack of social graces did cause me some concern, and I did feel it was necessary to point them out.
    Last edited by mr117; 04-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Senior

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

Donnutt (04-29-2011)

Thanks

Woot! Mr117 git im!
    (By the way, that was supposed to be misspelled and improper. Don't grade me! :-)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

mr117 (04-29-2011)

Thanks

I'm not here to grade or judge. I'm here to have fun like the rest of the people who come to this forum. I was asked to grade, so I did. Otherwise, no.

Oh, and I'm fine with slang and words spelled in peculiar ways. I like wordplay. I like dirty jokes if they are funny. My first lesson in my American Gov't class is, "how do you know when a politician is lying?" "His mouth is moving." I like Jay and Silent Bob. I love the Big Lebowski. I thought Taken was a comedy.

I just don't like bigoted people who push it on others (keep it to yourself, no problem, you have the right to your beliefs).

Thanks.
    Senior

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    More people use windows because it's cheaper. Most everyone I know who owns a Windows machine would much rather have a Mac. One person who I was trying to help buy a computer ended up a getting a toshiba, and now 2 months later wishes she had taken my advice and bought a Mac.
    I have a couple people that I know that wanted Macs but didn't want to spend that much money in case they didn't like them. Most of the time I refer them to the mini if they are not heavy users because it is fairly cheap. And coming from a PC where most people already have everything need for it; monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

mr117 (04-29-2011)

Thanks

You pay for quality.. That is all I have to say
    Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dtbeavin For This Useful Post:

mr117 (04-30-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I normally don't correct grammatical errors. But considering you're trying to make a statement about something that requires some sort of knowledge and background information, you would think you'd be able to differentiate their they're and there. But since you couldn't, I just wanted to point out that your inability to be grammatically correct makes your opinion and knowledge about computers questionable.
    Explain why not being grammatically correct makes my opinion and knowledge about computer questionable?

I have not actively perused qualifications in English after leaving school mainly because I studied in "Communications Systems and I.T.", English grammar and spelling has never been my strong point. I believe in the fact that if you can understand the message then the point is put across. To base an entire opinion of my qualifications in computers based on my grammar would make you a some what shallow individual, maybe that's why you prefer apple, as apple users prefer their shiny boxes and tend not to be interested on the insides of their machines.

[QUOTE=moon#pie;6007532]lol. Android still needs to be Rooted to do what you want with it because the carriers lock it up. Open source on a cell phone only means more pain for the user.

"..source my apps.."? lmao. You Code apps. Bet you don't even know how to do that.[/QUOTE

Did you actually read what I wrote? You could not have as I did not say anything about coding my own apps!!! If you code apps then you can do so on any platform, but to get them put on the Apple App store means it has to go through some red tape because Apple likes to wrap it customers up in cotton wool.
    Last edited by ram_it; 05-01-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

I like how a lot of people in this thread are now going crazy trying to be smart. I know i may not be able to do anything and you guys can all continue but please, take the comments down a level and please stop trying to argue.

Thanks

[quote=ram_it;6013632]Explain why not being grammatically correct makes my opinion and knowledge about computer questionable?

I have not actively perused qualifications in English after leaving school mainly because I studied in "Communications Systems and I.T.", English grammar and spelling has never been my strong point. I believe in the fact that if you can understand the message then the point is put across. To base an entire opinion of my qualifications in computers based on my grammar would make you a some what shallow individual, maybe that's why you prefer apple, as apple users prefer their shiny boxes and tend not to be interested on the insides of their machines.

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    lol. Android still needs to be Rooted to do what you want with it because the carriers lock it up. Open source on a cell phone only means more pain for the user.

"..source my apps.."? lmao. You Code apps. Bet you don't even know how to do that.[/QUOTE

Did you actually read what I wrote? You could not have as I did not say anything about coding my own apps!!! If you code apps then you can do so on any platform, but to get them put on the Apple App store means it has to go through some red tape because Apple likes to wrap it customers up in cotton wool.
    Code is not necessarily universal. All you have to do is follow the reasonable guidelines of Apple to get your app in the store. Think about it. Very few apps need the access that JB apps get. Imagine if all these shady Zynga apps had the root level access that many JB apps have? Yeah, not good.

And to anyone who judges Apple's all around policy by what they do with the iPhone app store, OS X is just as open in the respect you can install and do whatever you want with it. It just happens to be more secure. And if there isn't a setting for what you want, Apple included a nice little utility called "Terminal". Figure it out

Thanks

Yes, I've always wondered why (I know, they cite security) Apple lets us do ANYTHING with OS but tries to keep the brakes on with IOS.
    Senior