+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Production of Updated MacBook Air Models to Begin Next Month

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Production of Updated MacBook Air Models to Begin Next Month

When Apple updated the MacBook Air last October, they were widely criticized for not equipping them with the latest Intel processors. This hasn’t stopped them from selling like hotcakes, however, as Apple has sold roughly a million units during the first quarter of last year alone. Many consumers that might have once bought a more traditional MacBook Pro, have been opting for Apple’s lighter offerings instead. The revamped MacBook Air launch has been one of Apple’s most successful Mac launches ever.

Even with the popularity of the MacBook Air model at an all time high, sales have been slipping of late, with shipments down 51 percent for the first quarter of this year. The latest MacBook Pro models now offer considerably faster Sandy Bridge processors and a new high-speed Thunderbolt I/O port. The specs for the MacBook Air are now starting to look a little dated when compared to the newest MacBook Pros models.

This is about to change, however, as Apple will reportedly begin manufacturing new MacBook Air models that include the latest low-power Sandy Bridge processors and incorporate a new Thunderbolt port as well. These new models should be on sale by the end of May, just in time for summer.

The revamped models are expected to use Intel’s latest 32-nanometer ultra-low-voltage Sandy Bridge processors. The 11.6-inch model is expected to include a 1.4 GHz or 1.6 GHz Core i5, while the 13.3-inch model should be upgraded to a 2.10 GHz or a 2.30 GHz Core i7 CPU when they are released. Currently, there is little word on pricing, however, I would expect that MacBook Air prices will remain unchanged when they are released sometime later this May.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (04-23-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

definnately gettin this model when its out

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

+1 I can't wait

Green Apple
    Thanks

That makes 3 of us

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Make it 4 lol....

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_vara View Post
    Make it 4 lol....
    What is the difference between the Mac book pro and the Air

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    New pros have better hardware, bigger harddrive, more ram, bigger and better resolution displays, and a disk drive. Even with the new proccessor and thunderbolt port, the air can't compete with the pro line. The current 13 inch air costs $400 more than the new 13 inch pro with the new sandy bridge proccessor and thunderbolt port!!! I honestly don't see the big deal about the air.
    Last edited by Antman217; 04-23-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks

Give me MBP any day!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    New pros have better hardware, bigger harddrive, more ram, bigger and better resolution displays, and a disk drive. Even with the new proccessor and thunderbolt port, the air can't compete with the pro line. The current 13 inch air costs $400 more than the new 13 inch pro with the new sandy bridge proccessor and thunderbolt port!!! I honestly don't see the big deal about the air.
    Key word: Air. The lightness and thinness of the Macbook Air are key features that sells it out. The portability is great. If your basic needs are just web browsing and word processing then the Air is perfect. To be honest, it would be such a waste of money to buy the pro if it would be only used for these basic needs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    You're messing with us, right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

great, now i gotta sell my 2 month old 13 MBA!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RessayFlex View Post
    great, now i gotta sell my 2 month old 13 MBA!
    you can just give it to me lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    What? The Pros have a bigger hard drive because the Airs don't have a hard drive. They have solid state drives, which are a lot more expensive. You can upgrade to an SSD for a Pro, though it'll cost you a few hundred and you'll have less memory.

You're right. The Air has less RAM, but you can upgrade that to 4GB for $100.

You're wrong about the displays. 13" Air has a 1440x900 display while the 13" Pro only has a 1280x800 display.

The 13" Air costs $100 more than the Pro. I don't know where you got $400 from. Pro is $1200. Air is $1300. Higher end Pro is $1500. Higher end Air is $1600.

The big deal with the Air is that it's lighter, thinner, and much more portable than the Pro. Same reason the iPad is so popular. That said, I'd still choose a Pro over an Air, but do some research before you rant about another product.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

If you guys take a look "Nickhesson" (or whatever) hasn't had a post in a large amount of time. I went through 70 posts and didn't find one... And he was my, along with many others' favorite writer for this site...

Thanks
    air is definitely lighter than the pro

i'm thinking of getting an 11" MBA this year, my choice °_°

Thanks

Well i for one love my MBA (Basically only used for Pwnage tool). Just a little sad to see it updated so soon.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I can't wait. I have last years MBair and I love it but def need the power boost. I wouldn't give up the portability and still can do light video, photoshop, web design and development, etc.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Ask Engadget: best PC alternative to 13-inch MacBook Air? -- Engadget

As a Windows guy in love with his iPhone, I really want to like Macbook the macbook air. I would Dual boot for sure. (Windows is my Job, plus need/like a few other windows things)

I just can't get over two macbook things.

1) The "no" button mouse is annoying as hell. I want to be able to mouse around with one hand, not use a keyboard key to activate the right mouse button. Worse is how hard you actually have to click down into the pad just to left click anything. I've never been a fan of tapping a touch pad as that leads to accidentally moving/deleting things around with false taps. (I always deactivate tap to click on windows laptops)

2) Not having both a Backspace and Delete key is annoying as all hell in Windows mode. I guess I could maybe remap a key but still.

So again, I really love the macbook air form factor, but macbook keyboard layout, and no button mouse annoys me to the point of not being able to accept it.

I bought the MSI X-Slim X370 for $570 last week. So far so good.

Maybe they will get it right once the iPad is integrated into a Macbook somehow. I have a feeling i'll switch at some point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post

As a Windows guy in love with his iPhone, I really want to like Macbook the macbook air. I would Dual boot for sure. (Windows is my Job, plus need/like a few other windows things)

1) The "no" button mouse is annoying as hell. I want to be able to mouse around with one hand, not use a keyboard key to activate the right mouse button. Worse is how hard you actually have to click down into the pad just to left click anything. I've never been a fan of tapping a touch pad as that leads to accidentally moving/deleting things around with false taps. (I always deactivate tap to click on windows laptops)

2) Not having both a Backspace and Delete key is annoying as all hell in Windows mode. I guess I could maybe remap a key but still.

So again, I really love the macbook air form factor, but macbook keyboard layout, and no button mouse annoys me to the point of not being able to accept it.

Maybe they will get it right once the iPad is integrated into a Macbook somehow. I have a feeling i'll switch at some point.
    lol seems like you havent used a mac since 2005 or something.

1. Right click is done by two finger tap or setting right click to be the lower left or right hand corner of the trackpad. When you install windows, insert your mac osx disk ( or usb in the case of the macbook air) to install the drivers needed for windows to recognize the macbooks trackpad and different keys like volume and eject buttons.

2. the delete button = backspace. In windows you can hit ctrl+alt+delete and the same delete button will work as backspace. In osx ctrl+alt+delete doenst exist.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post

OMG this comment made my head spin. Are you talking about the Magic Mouse or the trackpad? Because you don't need to buy a magic mouse when you get a Macbook. If you're talking about the track pad then clicking with two fingers=right click. The track pad is right in the center so it's kinda difficult to accidentally touch it unless you have King Kong hands. Not having the "DEL" button is pretty silly to hate on a Mac. LOL Believe ne, you will not miss it. Just click behind a word a hit delete.