Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newer MacBook Air Models Now Appear to be Using Faster Samsung SSDs

Default Newer MacBook Air Models Now Appear to be Using Faster Samsung SSDs

When Apple refreshed the MacBook Air line last October, one of the most notable new features was the use of new blade type SSD drives. Taking the memory out of the old enclosures proved to be a great way to save space inside the cramped MacBook Air case, however, Apple did not use the fastest drives available at the time.

ifixit conducted a detailed teardown of the 11-inch MacBook Air and they concluded that Apple has been using Toshiba's Blade XĖGail SSD drives in the refreshed models. It now appears that Apple has replaced the Toshiba drives with models manufactured by Samsung instead.

It's currently unclear when Apple made the switch, but a quick look at that SSD model number clearly indicates that a new drive is now being used. It's really not too unusual for a company such as Apple to use components from a variety of sources, however, parts from different manufactures usually share the same specifications.

The SSD drives now being used in current MacBook Air models appear to be manufactured by Samsung instead of Toshiba. One benefit of the switch is that these new drives are considerably faster than the previous models used. The older Toshiba SSD drives were cable of read times of 209.8 MB/s and write times of 175.6 MB/s. The newer SSD drives now have read times of 261.1 MB/s and write times of 209.6 MB/s. As you can see, the newer drives are considerably faster than the previous SSD drives that originally shipped with the refreshed MacBook Airs. I currently use a 13-inch MacBook Air that I purchased about a month ago, and the SSD drive model number is in fact SM256C, presumably manufactured by Samsung.

In recent years, Apple has become less and less forthcoming with the exact technical specifications of the components they use in their products. Apple now prefers to promote features rather than technical specs when advertising their products. This does make sense, however, as apple now markets products to a wider audience than at any other time in the companies history.

What does this mean for the average consumer? Well, itís nice to know that if youíve been wanting to buy a new MacBook Air, the current models are just slightly faster than the ones that came out last October.

Source: AnandTech

Thanks

We should get a free upgrade
    (sarcasm)
    Last edited by psilocybin; 04-17-2011 at 07:48 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to psilocybin For This Useful Post:

eman561 (04-17-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
    Why?

LoL, why?

Doh, beat me to it lol.

And it's this type of typical apple fan behavior that I've never agreed with. This early adopter sense of entitlement. Apple pandered to it customers in the past (iPhone 1 price slash followed by a bunch of complaining early adopters). This is why apple will never have a TRUE sale on their products (accept their obsolete iPhone/iPad models). This is why you will never see a product refresh sooner than a full year after the current one has been released, even if they had the capabilities to do so, sooner. The majority of apple fans don't realize that they are their own worst enemies. In the PC world, products evolve so much faster (perhaps because of the multiple companies involved, but none-the-less I'm convinced that apple has the talent/capabilities to roll out product refreshes in a much quicker, less scheduled way), prices drop (by /more than/ 3-5 bucks on a $2,500 system) for periods of time (we call it a sale). Even if apple wanted to change/improve their business model to push updated products out as quickly as they develop them, run /actual/ sales on their products, they couldn't. The backlash would be SO great from the sheltered fan base, and because of the ridiculous precedent they set by giving money back to iPhone 1 early adopters, they'd go bankrupt by giving away "free upgrades" and millions of dollars in iTunes gift cards and whatnot.
    In short, this is how the real world (outside of Mac land) works. I wish apple adopted a quicker refresh model (if they are capable of doing so. And I believe that, with their amount of talent, they are.) And hold some /actual/ sales (maybe perhaps around the holidays like normal retailers do).
    Just my two cents. I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for reading

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

MPS3 (04-17-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    LoL, why?

Doh, beat me to it lol.
    Ditto.

Thanks

was being sarcastic..lol guess it was to early
    Last edited by psilocybin; 04-17-2011 at 07:35 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to psilocybin For This Useful Post:

eman561 (04-17-2011)

Hahahahaha!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,368 Posts

Awesome! I still want an MBA 11" for my wife so this is even better if they're faster.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude i've notice a lot of people seem to have a foot up their A**. I thought that was pretty funny. even though the next 3 comments weren't about how jokes your comment was.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hitman10 For This Useful Post:

psilocybin (04-17-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nice holier than thou attitudes. Get a life. And a sense of humor. Even just an upgraded sense of humor would work. Lol. Little too serious about electronics, Poindexters.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to N4cer For This Useful Post:

psilocybin (04-17-2011)

Just checked my MBA 13" that i bought almost 2 months ago, and i have sm256c. Just had friend check his MBA 13" he bought in December, and it has the ts256c. So perhaps they changed sometime after the new year?
    Last edited by RessayFlex; 04-17-2011 at 10:09 AM.

I love when people stand up for a large corporation, as if they would help you! Oh well, regardless, the 11" air is the best thing ive ever purchased, 210mb/s or not!!!

Thanks

Does anyone actually notice speed differences under normal conditions (with media file and content installed) or is it the new MBA is out and I'm just going to buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

More power=more faster=more better= (happy face).

Thanks

(sarcasm)
    Haha I thought it was funny bro. I guess it was to early, take the stick out your arse people!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

psilocybin (04-17-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    And it's this type of typical apple fan behavior that I've never agreed with. This early adopter sense of entitlement. Apple pandered to it customers in the past (iPhone 1 price slash followed by a bunch of complaining early adopters). This is why apple will never have a TRUE sale on their products (accept their obsolete iPhone/iPad models). This is why you will never see a product refresh sooner than a full year after the current one has been released, even if they had the capabilities to do so, sooner. The majority of apple fans don't realize that they are their own worst enemies. In the PC world, products evolve so much faster (perhaps because of the multiple companies involved, but none-the-less I'm convinced that apple has the talent/capabilities to roll out product refreshes in a much quicker, less scheduled way), prices drop (by /more than/ 3-5 bucks on a $2,500 system) for periods of time (we call it a sale). Even if apple wanted to change/improve their business model to push updated products out as quickly as they develop them, run /actual/ sales on their products, they couldn't. The backlash would be SO great from the sheltered fan base, and because of the ridiculous precedent they set by giving money back to iPhone 1 early adopters, they'd go bankrupt by giving away "free upgrades" and millions of dollars in iTunes gift cards and whatnot.
    In short, this is how the real world (outside of Mac land) works. I wish apple adopted a quicker refresh model (if they are capable of doing so. And I believe that, with their amount of talent, they are.) And hold some /actual/ sales (maybe perhaps around the holidays like normal retailers do).
    Just my two cents. I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for reading
    You need to chill the hell out.

Leave the forum, buy a coke, take a walk, watch Tangled.

Thanks

No we should haha!

OK. But i thought Toshiba and Samsung are pretty much the same company. Or tight relationships anyway.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Computers are getting so thin. Sometimes I wonder if you could just break it in half with bare hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast