+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RIM May Pay 'Any Price' to Beat Apple, Google Out of Nortel Patents

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by back9player You are both idiots... Do you realize how long RIM has been around? And how much of the market share they held for a very long
    My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
    You are both idiots... Do you realize how long RIM has been around? And how much of the market share they held for a very long time?
    1) don't call me an idiot because that makes it personal and nobody likes a personal argument aka "flame war"
    2) I know that RIM has been around for a long time but I do believe that Apple has a lot more money (brb ima go check some stocks and shareholder reports lol)
    Ok I checked some stocks
    Aapl- 327.46
    RIMM-52.7
    Goog-530.7
    So clearly Apple has far more assets than RIM does and Google has even more than Apple. Debate won.

Thanks

Apple is 300 points above RIM in the stocks.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Apple is 300 points above RIM in the stocks.
    Thanks lol, I needed some backup

iPhone? More like MyPhone trentmorris's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    Like RIM could really outbid Apple or Google?
    RIM is no small company, it would all depend how far Apple/Google wanted to take the bidding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    1) don't call me an idiot because that makes it personal and nobody likes a personal argument aka "flame war"
    2) I know that RIM has been around for a long time but I do believe that Apple has a lot more money (brb ima go check some stocks and shareholder reports lol)
    Ok I checked some stocks
    Aapl- 327.46
    RIMM-52.7
    Goog-530.7
    So clearly Apple has far more assets than RIM does and Google has even more than Apple. Debate won.
    RIM has a card to play that neither apple or google does. Their on going relationship with the US govt. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but if RIM wants those patents, they'll get em one way or another. AKA by hook or by crook.
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
    You are both idiots... Do you realize how long RIM has been around? And how much of the market share they held for a very long time?
    Who in the **** gives a **** how long they've been around? I want them to go out in the harshest way possible. They don't deserve to be in business. They are no longer innovative or competant, and the market has been telling them that to their faces for a few years now. Every single device they bring to market is outdated trash weeks before it's released. My prediction, no RIM by 2015. QNX won't save them or their sh*tty OS.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Who in the **** gives a **** how long they've been around? I want them to go out in the harshest way possible. They don't deserve to be in business. They are no longer innovative or competant, and the market has been telling them that to their faces for a few years now. Every single device they bring to market is outdated trash weeks before it's released. My prediction, no RIM by 2015. QNX won't save them or their sh*tty OS.
    Agreed! I still don't know how RIM is STILL in business but as you pointed out, they're expiration date is soon to come by at least 2015.
     Think Different.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A lot of people trashing RIM. Even when the iPhone dropped, RIM still held a huge amount of marketshare. It's not like that money up and vanished. They definitely have the pockets to get into a fire fight with Apple/google.

At worst case, they force Google or Apple to pay over a couple billion for those patents.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Uh, why are you comparing stocks? Let's break this down-
    Apple's range of products/services:
    Desktop computers
    Laptop computers
    Software
    Digital media distribution/iTunes
    Mobile media devices
    Cell phones
    Tablets

Google's range of products/services:
    The best and most used search engine in the world
    Cloud services
    Email
    Map services
    Potentially billions of dollars in online advertising
    Cell phone operating system

RIMM:
    Cell phones
    Now tablets

So yeah, Google has $500 stocks but that's not just from cell phones. Apple has $300 stocks but that's not just from iPhone. Whatever money RIMM has, is there just from cell phones.

Again, iPhone user here full time but don't be surprised if RIMM takes these patents and at worst drives their cost up a couple billion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy123 View Post
    Agreed! I still don't know how RIM is STILL in business but as you pointed out, they're expiration date is soon to come by at least 2015.
    Government contracts. Both in the US and abroad is how they stay in business. While the average consumer may not like that a bb won't play angry birds, RIM has 100% cornered the market when it comes to govt agencies.

Thanks

Agreed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    Government contracts. Both in the US and abroad is how they stay in business. While the average consumer may not like that a bb won't play angry birds, RIM has 100% cornered the market when it comes to govt agencies.
    You're right, my uncle has a gov't issued Blackberry, they give the gov't some damn good contracts

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    You're right, my uncle has a gov't issued Blackberry, they give the gov't some damn good contracts
    Speaking from personal experience with RIM in the Gov't, the ONLY reason they have any presence in the Gov't is because you can lock the phones down airtight with FIPS-certified encryption and extremely fine security policies. From a contract and support perspective, they're horrible. Getting RIM to give any level of relevant support is like getting a Republican to vote for universal healthcare.

Apple and MS are too concerned with the consumer market right now and it's a pity especially since you don't need anything extra to get the iPhone or WinMo to work with Exchange.
    Last edited by jmillermcp; 04-17-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post
    Speaking from personal experience with RIM in the Gov't, the ONLY reason they have any presence in the Gov't is because you can lock the phones down airtight with FIPS-certified encryption and extremely fine security policies. From a contract and support perspective, they're horrible. Getting RIM to give any level of relevant support is like getting a Republican to vote for universal healthcare.

Apple and MS are too concerned with the consumer market right now and it's a pity especially since you don't need anything extra to get the iPhone or WinMo to work with Exchange.
    Ur point about security is dead on. Also, when #%it hits the the fan (see 9-11), a bb is still functional.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
    Uh, why are you comparing stocks? Let's break this down-
    Apple's range of products/services:
    Desktop computers
    Laptop computers
    Software
    Digital media distribution/iTunes
    Mobile media devices
    Cell phones
    Tablets

Google's range of products/services:
    The best and most used search engine in the world
    Cloud services
    Email
    Map services
    Potentially billions of dollars in online advertising
    Cell phone operating system

RIMM:
    Cell phones
    Now tablets

So yeah, Google has $500 stocks but that's not just from cell phones. Apple has $300 stocks but that's not just from iPhone. Whatever money RIMM has, is there just from cell phones.

Again, iPhone user here full time but don't be surprised if RIMM takes these patents and at worst drives their cost up a couple billion.
    LOL....you can't be serious.

You dont want to compare stock prices but then post up a ludicrous list of completely irrelevant info?? Who cares how Google, Apple, or RIM made their money...they could have made it selling buttons, what does it matter.

Oh and to the morons talking about cell phone market share...what in the world does that have to do with how much money the company has. Like market share denotes what a companies cash reserves, profits, losses, and assets has.

Ur point about security is dead on. Also, when #%it hits the the fan (see 9-11), a bb is still functional.
    And an iPhone/WinMo/Android phone wouldn't be??
    Last edited by Moreno53; 04-17-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    LOL....you can't be serious.

You dont want to compare stock prices but then post up a ludicrous list of completely irrelevant info?? Who cares how Google, Apple, or RIM made their money...they could have made it selling buttons, what does it matter.

Oh and to the morons talking about cell phone market share...what in the world does that have to do with how much money the company has. Like market share denotes what a companies cash reserves, profits, losses, and assets has.

And an iPhone/WinMo/Android phone wouldn't be??
    It's a known fact that in ny during the immediate aftermath of 9-11 bb's were the only cellular devices able to function in that area. It's due to bb's data connection. So......no an iPhone/winmo/android wouldn't be.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

They'll go broke and BB will vanish !

Thanks

....until the 90 year olds die off.

They are consistantly behind the curve not only in hardware, but software as well. In an increasingly tech-centric world, this will not do, contract or no contract. The "security" thing will keep the smelly turd around until someone comes up with a way to have security WITHOUT the qwerty dogturd in their pockets. When crappy crap plagues the life of humans, we invent awesome stuff to rid us of said crappy crap. Kinda like the butter churn. It sucked ***. We figured it out. This is actually the very damned definition of the word "technology". A little ironic that a technology company is getting technology'd out of technology.

Their business and government contracts are obviously not doing the trick, as RIM is sweaty and desparate to break into the consumer market. Kinda like how GM can't survive on governement Cadillac sales alone. And what does RIM do? They promote a proprietary MMS service (BBM aka Useless aka ghey), and drop a half *** tablet that the 1 year old iPad pwns. And when are they gonna get that touch screen down? What's the Torch? Take 3? Still trash.....meanwhile, in Cupertino......

Hey, they may stick around a while. They'd just better get used to being the "Crappy Work Phone" guys.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

RIM will always be around. RIM offers many services and are heavily used in government agencies because they are easy to monitor/control. Many companies purchases Blackberry servers which run upwards of 10k and up. You have to buy a license for every user on the server with equates to $100/per user. Their phones are all the same to me but they do sell.

The worst mistake that they could make as a company is make BBM available on other platforms. I know a lot of people who won't get rid of their BB's because of it.

My money is on Google acquiring the patents.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    ....until the 90 year olds die off.

They are consistantly behind the curve not only in hardware, but software as well. In an increasingly tech-centric world, this will not do, contract or no contract. The "security" thing will keep the smelly turd around until someone comes up with a way to have security WITHOUT the qwerty dogturd in their pockets. When crappy crap plagues the life of humans, we invent awesome stuff to rid us of said crappy crap. Kinda like the butter churn. It sucked ***. We figured it out. This is actually the very damned definition of the word "technology". A little ironic that a technology company is getting technology'd out of technology.

Their business and government contracts are obviously not doing the trick, as RIM is sweaty and desparate to break into the consumer market. Kinda like how GM can't survive on governement Cadillac sales alone. And what does RIM do? They promote a proprietary MMS service (BBM aka Useless aka ghey), and drop a half *** tablet that the 1 year old iPad pwns. And when are they gonna get that touch screen down? What's the Torch? Take 3? Still trash.....meanwhile, in Cupertino......

Hey, they may stick around a while. They'd just better get used to being the "Crappy Work Phone" guys.
    How many 90 yr old FBI DEA ATF NSA or CIA field agents do you think there are?

If bbm is so crappy, why do so many people swear by it.

Mean while in cupertino they still can't figure out true push email, forget about doing it on multiple accounts.

RIM was a major player in the consumer market long before the iPhone came along.

Have you ever even used a bb keyboard? It runs circles around typing on a touch screen.

But thanks for playing.